Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
captain-tri wrote:
I've been waffling on a bike camera for a while - I commute to work by bike and while I find drivers in my neck of the woods pretty considerate, I like the idea.

Can I ask why you went for the Cycliq products versus the Rideye? For about half the price of the Cycliq rear (the front is out of stock) you get the Rideye Front and rear (albeit with no head or tail lights).

Honest question, just wondering if I'm missing something fabulous about the Cycliq products.

I played with the Rideye on a few rides, and found the quality dismal bad - and that was in bright light no less (combined with an even worse rubber strap mount). To me it's just a pretty big chunky thing compared to the Fly6 without the benefits of lights. Just my two cents.

You can do better than riding around Longchamp though... ;-)

If it can't handle a sunny loop or ten around Longchamp (passing through the sunny city), then...well...yeah.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
UPDATE: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update on the battery. I am working with Anthony from Cycliq support to sort it out.

I conducted 2 tests to determine battery life in two scenarios:

First test: Idle off and light off: Unit ran for 8 hours and 10 minutes.
Second test: Idle off and light on brightest setting (solid): Unit ran for 1 hour and 32 minutes.

I am guessing that the super bright light draws a ton more juice from the battery as the hour & a half life renders if only suitable only for short ride & commutes if you use the light.

Note: I did not conduct any tests on a less bright setting. Maybe someone here will know this answer: Does it take more battery to power a solid light or a flashing light?

My safety priority is the camera so in the "light off" setting you can get 8 hours - still 2 less than Cycliq expects but it certainly meets my need for the safety camera. I just became accustomed to the light and appreciated having it on.

I wonder if, like Tesla, the battery technology will improve over time and create additional battery life for these devices.

I hope to hear back from Anthony @ Cycliq next week.

Thanks, John

Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My safety priority is the camera so in the "light off" setting you can get 8 hours - still 2 less than Cycliq expects but it certainly meets my need for the safety camera. I just became accustomed to the light and appreciated having it on.

That's the thing though. Without the light this device does little to improve safety "in the moment." Sure, the camera will record anything that happens but it doesn't make you safer.

Quote:
Note: I did not conduct any tests on a less bright setting. Maybe someone here will know this answer:

For me the flashing light is the number one thing that improves safety. It catches drivers eyes and attention and makes them stop to think about what they're doing or about to do. I don't feel like the steady on light has this same effect. I do 98% of my riding with it in flashing mode and the remaining 2% with the light in full on mode (only when riding in the dark). I haven't done an official test but I've gotten up to 3 hours in flashing mode with the camera recording.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Quote:
Note: I did not conduct any tests on a less bright setting. Maybe someone here will know this answer:

For me the flashing light is the number one thing that improves safety. It catches drivers eyes and attention and makes them stop to think about what they're doing or about to do. I don't feel like the steady on light has this same effect. I do 98% of my riding with it in flashing mode and the remaining 2% with the light in full on mode (only when riding in the dark). I haven't done an official test but I've gotten up to 3 hours in flashing mode with the camera recording.

Agree with the flashing. Which of the flashing settings for you use? Think there are 4: 3 levels of flashing (high, med, low) and pulse.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would advise that you mot call it a "safety" camera. It has nothing to do with safety.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
I would advise that you [not to] call it a "safety" camera. It has nothing to do with safety.
This.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
I would advise that you mot call it a "safety" camera. It has nothing to do with safety.

We see things differently.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a breakdown of battery life from Cycliq Support. I have not seen this info on their website but this helps explain the different capabilities of the FLY12. I am encouraged that I can use the flashing light in low flash setting and still get some good life (I doubt if I will get 6 hours as I only got 8 with the solid light instead of 10) but this makes sense to me. I can hope that as battery life improves Cycliq will put in a battery than enables full use of the light and camera for up to 10 hours. That would be ideal!

BATTERY LIFE of FLY12
Battery run time up to 10hrs in camera only mode
Battery run time up to 6hrs (lowest flashing light and camera)
Battery run time up to 4hrs (medium flashing light and camera)
Battery run time up to 2hrs (highest (400L) flashing light and camera)

Note: Constant light "ON" will drain the battery faster than a flashing mode of the same light intensity.

Given the note above and your findings – 1HR 32MIN on the 400L constant mode I can confirm the unit is performing to specification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked my settings and both my flash and pulse are set to medium.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Just checked my settings and both my flash and pulse are set to medium.

I was running it with the solid light on (biggest drain on the battery). Based on your earlier post I am switching to the flashing light setting for better visibility.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Here is a breakdown of battery life from Cycliq Support. I have not seen this info on their website but this helps explain the different capabilities of the FLY12. I am encouraged that I can use the flashing light in low flash setting and still get some good life (I doubt if I will get 6 hours as I only got 8 with the solid light instead of 10) but this makes sense to me. I can hope that as battery life improves Cycliq will put in a battery than enables full use of the light and camera for up to 10 hours. That would be ideal!

BATTERY LIFE of FLY12
Battery run time up to 10hrs in camera only mode
Battery run time up to 6hrs (lowest flashing light and camera)
Battery run time up to 4hrs (medium flashing light and camera)
Battery run time up to 2hrs (highest (400L) flashing light and camera)

Note: Constant light "ON" will drain the battery faster than a flashing mode of the same light intensity.

Given the note above and your findings – 1HR 32MIN on the 400L constant mode I can confirm the unit is performing to specification.

I have front and back Go Pro 3 in 1080p with battery from: http://www.dhgate.com/....html#s13-4-1b;searl|0327525649

8.5hours recording time limited to 64GB SD card.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sebo2001/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZN3gccVjgk

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. It's a... umm... a lawyer camera? It will help sort things out after something happens. It won't keep a rider safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the Fly cameras are combined with a light, and the light increases safety. Other cameras (e.g. GoPros) don't include lights. So I think it is fair to call the Fly cameras "safety" cameras since they include a light with the camera.

Disclosure: I do not own a "safety" camera, as I run GoPro Sessions front and rear and my lights are separate.

Also, I don't think that adding cameras to you bike is simply a "lawyer" move - the possible insinuation that anyone who would do so is the litigious type. They also can help raise awareness and eventually may put other road users on notice that their actions may be recorded, which may give them pause before driving dangerously around cyclists, assaulting cyclists with their vehicle, going full road rage, etc.

I by no means suggest that cameras will solve all ills, the problem is way too deep for that, but every little bit can help.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Get a safety camera for your bike + FLY 6 & 12 Product Review [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Well, the Fly cameras are combined with a light, and the light increases safety. Other cameras (e.g. GoPros) don't include lights. So I think it is fair to call the Fly cameras "safety" cameras since they include a light with the camera.

Disclosure: I do not own a "safety" camera, as I run GoPro Sessions front and rear and my lights are separate.

Also, I don't think that adding cameras to you bike is simply a "lawyer" move - the possible insinuation that anyone who would do so is the litigious type. They also can help raise awareness and eventually may put other road users on notice that their actions may be recorded, which may give them pause before driving dangerously around cyclists, assaulting cyclists with their vehicle, going full road rage, etc.

I by no means suggest that cameras will solve all ills, the problem is way too deep for that, but every little bit can help.

Thanks for your post. My initial post explains my position and why I think having one of these (no matter the brand) is a smart thing to do.
John
Quote Reply

Prev Next