Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience swimming with a torn rotator cuff and a SLAP tear? I've unfortunately torn both in my right arm. I've done a round of PT and have continued to do the exercises to strengthen the muscles around the tears in hopes of avoiding surgery. Daily activities feel ok. Swimming not so much. Wondering what your experiences have been. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While each injury and a persons response differ, I had a torn labrum which I ultimately had to have surgically repaired. Swimming was particularly hard on it. While I could do the work, the pain was non-stop during swimming and then wouldn't go away for a day. Since I swim 3x per week, it was a never ending cycle. I went through a several injections, anti-inflammatories, acupuncture, p/t and ART to no avail. Bit the bullet and had it done - subacrominal bursectomy, proximal biceps tenodesis, superior & anterior debridement. I've had a lumbar fusion and left knee repair done prior to the shoulder and the shoulder by far was the most difficult. My surgeon indicated shoulders are tough due to the extensive movement and use of the joint. I'm 6 months post op and was back swimming 2-3 months post surgery. Still painful where the bone was shaved down, but improves ever so slightly after each month. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mine repaired five weeks ago. I tried PT and cortisone shots for three months, but didn't make any progress. The MRI showed a tear of 50+% tear of the supraspinatus (sp?) and a smaller tear of something else (sorry, not good with the labels). During surgery the doc found two more tears and removed a couple of spurs.
Weeks 2-4 I have done four minor movement exercises twice a day. Starting week five I added four resistance tube exercises. The doctor's direction was to stop any exercise before pain.
So far he won't talk about return to s, b, r. However, he did tell me I could walk as much as I wanted after the first week post-surgery. I return to the doc for a follow up next week. We WILL talk about resuming training that day.
In deciding to do the surgery I took a few things in to account. First, although my shoulder actually felt better during a swim, I realized I was losing speed and it felt real bad post-swim. Getting in the aero-bars hurt, especially after a swim. Second, this year I'm in the middle of my age group (M60-64) with a bunch of real fast 60 year olds. So I'm not really competitive at this point. I'm looking forward to M65-69, so I decided to repair and rehab this year in preparation for a serious training season next year to prepare for 2018.
ETA: another thing that led me to surgery was when in November, after a year with two each IM and 70.3s, the pain was such that I had difficulty sleeping.
Last edited by: mjlrun: Aug 3, 16 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore my labrum using hand paddles in 2012. I couldn't swim at all afterwards - had terrible neck, shoulder, and back pain that worsened over a period of several months. I tried PT, which didn't work.

Had surgery in May 2013. Ended up with frozen shoulder that pretty much incapacitated me for a full year. Two different surgeons concluded that the SLAP repair had failed and to go for another surgery (tenodesis) to correct the chronic biceps tendonitis that had resulted from it. Ignoring their advice, I tried swimming for the first time in June 2014 and it was horrible, but the pain improved and I managed to avoid another surgery.

I swim 15K a week now. No butterfly. Plenty of open water. I would say the tendonitis flares badly every few months or so, but it goes away with some rest. I do have at least some pain with pretty much every stroke, but I can deal with it.

Surgery is a very tough road and never a sure thing. Overall it was probably the right decision for me, but I have to be very careful with my yardage (ie I never swim more than two days in a row). I'm a lifelong swimmer, swam competitively for many years. I'm 33 y/o F if that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for a treatment option short of surgery, consider PRP or bone marrow stem cell treatments. The downside is that these treatments are typically are not covered by insurance.

Dr. Karli at the Steadman Clinic in Vail (Edwards), CO provides this treatment for a lot of top athletes. If you opt to go surgical, the Steadman Clinic has a solid reputation for treating injured athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had asked a similar question to this forum about a year and a half ago after my surgery, their advice was helpful, click here http://bit.ly/2b3PSl5.

Everyone is different, but if both rotator cuff and labrum are torn, it is very likely you will not have symmetrical strokes and stray to one direction consistently. In my opinion, if the damage is severe enough that the structure is loose, than you are more than likely going to damage your shoulder even more if you continue.

I would get it done. I won't sugar coat it, I've had three knee surgeries, one of them an ACL reconstruction, and the shoulder was the most difficult to recover from...it's really uncomfortable. If you do it, get a recliner, go to physical therapy, and as my physical therapist said, "Respect the Repair."

Good luck man, it's no fun but you'll thank yourself later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my R shoulder repaired in 2008 (SLAP 2 repair, biceps tenodesis, and something with the AC joint). As others have said, it's not an easy recovery, but it was worth it for me. It took about a year before I felt as if my strength and mobility were close to where I'd been pre-accident. I still had pain when swimming, and at IMTX 2011 I was pretty miserable coming out of the water, which affected my bike. Then I went with a swim coach who was very technique-oriented. (Yes, it was TI, which I know a lot of swimmers frown on, but it was perfect for where I was.) I didn't gain any speed, but in IMTX 2013 my shoulder felt great and I had a much better and more comfortable time on the bike. He had me shorten my reach on the entry phase - I started aiming to put my hand in the water just past my ear (which usually resulted in entering just past the top of my head). He also helped fix some other flaws in my stroke that helped with neck issues. I had planned to join a master's swim program to start working on speed but got hurt again in 2013 - same thing, other shoulder - and I'm just now starting the Guppy Challenge all over again.

Good luck!
Diane
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming? [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you can swim with 2 torn RCs and a torn labrum?? I had RC tendonitis and it made swimming difficult. When it eventually got better with the help of cortisone I started back at swimming, but avoided paddles, and fly and tried to swim with a more open hand, so less resistance. I also used the snorkel as breathing meant the bad shoulder was over-loaded and I did a lot of kicking and drills. So was able to get in a decent volume swim even with a sore shoulder, nothing too intense, but when I eventually returned to squad swimming it didn't feel like I'd had 2 months off, even though I'd barely done any freestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my left shoulder fixed four times for labral Tears one being a complete 360 that took 8 anchors to repair. My right shoulder is currently torn and swimming has been the best thing for both of them however I have to watch when I'm just pulling. With that said I have been lucky enough to not have any rotator cuff problems. But I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming? [gnewton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there. I was recently diagnosed with a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. Can't remember any specific injuries that would've caused it other than overuse from swimming with bad technique for too long. Scheduled for arthroscopic repair in a few weeks. I've read a few different post on here as to when people returned to exercise. I'm assuming I could jump back on the bike trainer within a few weeks, as long as no pressure is put on the shoulder. How long before you could run? Doc said around 4 months of healing before I could regain swimming...depending on how fast I heal. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left shoulder was repaired in '99 (50% tear supraspinatus tendon and type II bone spur removed). I wore the sling for a week, then did PT 5X/wk for 5 wks. I was getting paid to play softball at the time and was swinging a bat, gently, after 3 wks. After 6 wks, I was playing again.

2016 I wrecked on the bike (8/8). I did Augusta, then the pain got really bad (right shoulder). MRI showed "a" tear and a torn labrum. I had surgery on 12/14/16. I wore the sling one day and went to work on the 15th. I did whatever didn't hurt, after that. I did a 3 mi. run on 1/12/17 and resumed a normal running schedule. I was on the bike (trainer) on 1/14/17 and rode outside in March, sometime.

Swimming was a different animal. My right shoulder didn't come around as quickly as the left had (I was also +/- 17 yrs older :) ). I got in the pool for the first time on 3/8/17 and realized it was too soon, quickly. I swam 50 yds on 3/20 and then just did a lot of switch drills. 2 weeks later, I swam a mile....and did Choo 70.3 on 5/20. By that time, I was up to 2500yds/session (3X/wk).

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss this. Oh.....I'm 53.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am currently three weeks removed from Slap Tear Surgery in the left shoulder. The Labrum was torn in October during the swim portion at IM Louisville. I had the surgery on December 7, 2017. I was permitted to start riding on the trainer with a sling a week after the surgery. I am still using the sling during the trainer rides just to remind me not to put any weight on the shoulder. I started walking on the treadmill four days after surgery. I am attending PT three times a week. My range of motion has returned completely but the shoulder capsule is still very sore and can be agitated very easily. I have already started resistance based strength exercises with the bands, therapy putty, and twist bars which I perform two to three times a day.I have discussed with the PT about being allowed to enter the pool after week five just to kick with the kickboard. I have been told that I will be allowed to start running sometime around week 8 if I keep progressing. I don't expect to start fully swimming until sometime around the end of March. Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you spoken to your PT about your pain? As a PT, former swimmer, and having had 3 shoulder reconstructions (congenital - but compounded by swimming) - go back to the old adage - if it hurts don't do it. There is a good chance with the injuries you are describing that you may be subluxing the joint with overhead weighted activity (i.e. swimming). In english: your joint is not as stable as it should be and is now 'sloshing' around in ways it shouldn't. I swam for years on a shoulder that had a labral lesion and rotator cuff damage - BUT you have to get ridiculously strong and dynamically stable before just jumping in the pool. Weight bearing strengthening is your best bet for full return to swimming without pain. Having said this, I finally did the last surgery to repair these when I couldn't swim the Olympic distance swim without my entire arm going numb. Instability can cause a whole host of other concerns. I hate to be harsh - but decide what is more important. Swimming now or no surgery. If your goal is really to NOT have surgery - then get out of the pool, do a ton of dynamic shoulder stability for weeks, and start back in the pool very slowly. The band exercises are NOT going to get you there - talk to your PT about higher level exercises - or at least working you into those.

Re: Torn Rotator Cuff. Torn Labrum. Swimming? [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kick board will cause pressure on your shoulder. I never use it anymore and use a snorkel. I had a full SLAP repair and it was really 6-9 months before really being able to swim and a year before the shoulder really felt good. Don't rush it. I would not want to do the surgery again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a slap tear, RC tear and a Mumford on my right (dominant) shoulder a few years back (pretty much destroyed it). It took a good 9 months to I feel, fully recover but it was a struggle to get back. I feel it is much stronger today after the repair. On that note, I am having my left shoulder done next week. I did the Cortisone twice and the doc said it was just kicking the can down the road. They are repairing a RC tear, Slap tear and clipping the bicep tendon on this side. The Mumford is also on the table he said. It is the same doc that did the right shoulder. If it feels as good as the right when it is all said and done I will call it a success.

Swimming is possible but the pull phase of the stroke is a bit painful. Comparing it to the fixed side, the pul phase has way more force on the fixed side. The unprepared side has a a lot of pinching and intermittent pain, but it is manageable especially with the cortisone. Cortisone is not a long term answer though. PT has helped strengthen which made a difference but in the end the stuff is still torn and will not repair itself.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply