Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT?
Quote | Reply
Looking for recommendations on the lightest tire to carry as a spare at IMMT. It can be a track tire or anything else as long as it is light, a clincher, and is a 25c width. I know many people don't carry a spare tire but this is my first Ironman race and I care more about finishing than anything else and if for some reason I had a blow out I would be kicking myself for not packing one. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [jcg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need. Roads are very smooth. Just bring 2 tubes, maybe a spare in special needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bring 2 tubes and a "boot" a piece of and old tire that you can use as a patch over a tire slice. For smaller cuts, gel wrappers work great. I used one for about 3 weeks on a large puncture. It did keep oozing gel for a few days.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [jcg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect that neutral support will probably have a few tires on hand in case you really did a number on a tire. That said, in 55+ years of cycling and many dozens of flats, I've always made it home even with substantial cuts by booting the tire.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other responses. If you just throw some new tires on your rig +/- two weeks out from the race and have plenty of spare tubes, you will be fine. And have a gel packet on hand as mentioned. The roads are in great shape and with more than 2000 bikes on the road, the odds of you picking up something that will cut your tire badly are pretty low. I am racing there for the second time this year, and will probably only have one spare tube on hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree too. The biggest protection against flats will be to ride with very new tires. (If you're a novice at installing you might want to put at least one test ride on.) Chance of flatting on new tires will be virtually nil. If you want massive overkill on top of that, bring two tubes, 2-3 CO2s, and a tire boot (which you can make by cutting out sections of an old tire).
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. Thanks for the tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if something else happens like your rear derailleur spontaneously explodes? You should carry a nice light pair of racing flats in your saddle bag in case you need to run with your bike to T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy these and get through three flats.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Just bring 2 tubes and a "boot" a piece of and old tire that you can use as a patch over a tire slice. For smaller cuts, gel wrappers work great. I used one for about 3 weeks on a large puncture. It did keep oozing gel for a few days.

I use this exact technique too. I carry two tubes and a boot made from an old tire plus 2 CO2 cartridges.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So to make a boot do you just cut a section of tire? How long of a boot do you make?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut a section about 3-4 inches long from an old tire and then cut the bead off the edges.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
No need. Roads are very smooth. Just bring 2 tubes, maybe a spare in special needs.

This, no joke. Roads are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcg wrote:
So to make a boot do you just cut a section of tire? How long of a boot do you make?

Canadian money works well because it is kind of plasticy. Or you could just buy something made to be a tire boot for less than $5.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

While practice riding the IMMT course I did hit a big piece of glass and slice a tire. I was able to boot it with a canadian bill. On race day I will be riding on brand new tires (probably one ride on them) and carrying one tube plus the tire boot I linked above.

I know they run a street sweeper over the course at IMLP, do they do this for IMMT/ all IronMan races?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations on lightest clincher tire to carry as a spare at IMMT? [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call me crazy but Canada roads are WAY cleaner than US roads. Not sure if it's the local resident angle or government sweeping, but the two races I've done in Canada has awesome tarmac and they were spotless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jcg wrote:

Don't make a boot. A boot is great when you have time to get the tire in there right. As other have said, the park boots are the way to go for the following reasons

1# They are adhesive so when you peel away the backing you can place the boot right where it needs to go and it stays put. Not adrenaline fumbling hands with a boot.

2# Although I have no proof, I would suspect these boots have lower RR than a boot made from another tire.

Believe me, I am cheap to, but for my race day flat situations, I carry a C02, Air Chuck, Tube, 5mm hex wrench and half of this Park boot.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None. Nothing is lighter than none. #MathFacts.

As for a boot, why spend $ on something you can easily MacGuyver up for free or nearly so?
I've used a $1 bill (cost - $1 'murican, F yeah!) and also Powerbar wrapper or similar as a boot, both work fine, weigh basically nothing.

IF you're that super-paranoid, you could throw a spare tire into your bike SN bag, but I honestly think you'd be wasting your time.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jcg wrote:

I've used a gel wrapper with success.

If you are going to carry a spare, the weight is pretty negligible.
Quote Reply