Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guide me: Possible new bike for 2017 *Heavy Salty Sweater Edition* [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
Subject should probably have a few people interested and confused. I was too when I learned what my body was capable of.
Apparently I have the PH balance of a pond in Chernobyl - because I rust bike components like no ones business.

The Skinny:
We all sweat. I sweat more than anyone I know in the entire world. I mean I soak through two towels on an hour trainer ride.
Its the nastiest thing about me. It is almost embarrassing. My fiance would leave me if we had to train side by side. Fortunately we share a kickr for now.

In that sweat is an unfathomably saltiness. Fe2O3 written all over this.
I have seized up two front derailleurs, 2 bottom brackets, 2 rear brakes and corroded my way through my original Garmin HRM.
This is even with keeping the fan on the bike to try and wick away some of the moisture. Dabbing everything dry with a new towel at the end of every trainer ride. My mechanics have even gone as far as using marine grade grease to try and stop this onslaught of rust and had little success.

Currently riding a Trek SC7.5 (2014) and wondering if this is just not the bike for me.
Doesn't help the fiance just got a Liv Avow with Di2 and I am quite jealous. Though is an upgrade the right move?
Anyone else had this problem?

If it helps sway opinions - my sponsor gets me 20% off Giant brands - though I would gladly pay full price for something that just wont seize up on me.

We are brothers from another mother - I sweat like the Alien bleeds, it eats thru everything.

PRO tips:
Use the crappiest bike possible for the dedicated BTN (Bike To Nowhere) trainer bike.
Mine is my wife's '93 Rockhopper with a big fat slick on the R, hooked up to a KK trainer, with a sweat net and a MONSTER ventilator (not "fan") in front of it.
In spite of that, is caked with rust around the headtube and BB, looks like it was dredged up from the Titanic.
Pedaling is pedaling. Work is work.

All that said, I rarely ever use it anymore, because...

I ride a mtb in the winter. (and in the summer and most other times too these days)
Riding in the woods means no windchill, no salt damage, no cars.
You'd be shocked and amazed at how little extra clothing you'll end up wearing once you're 10-15 mins into a ride and warmed up.

When I do ride on the road in winter, I use one of my old beater bikes - my '93 Rockhopper (set up as a "CX" bike), or my '99 Klein roadie if the weather is decent.

If you don't have a beater bike, then buy a used one, or get a CX bike from bikesdirect.com, they have many for <$600, and some pretty nice ones for a bit more, if that floats yer boat.

Good luck!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Guide me: Possible new bike for 2017 *Heavy Salty Sweater Edition* [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So between this and my other thread. Here is my plan for the rest of this season and starting next.

Beat up my allez elite and have it set up to mimic the fit of the trek.
Get an 11spd chain and take off anything that can rust.
Upgrade the treks derailleurs instead of my big bike the up.
Keep the trek until I don't want to race anymore.
Profit.

And you are my sweat brother. It sucks being such a salty bastard. But it's good to know were not alone and there is a fix.

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me: Possible new bike for 2017 *Heavy Salty Sweater Edition* [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I missed it, but did anyone ask what kind of fan you are using? Some can blow air a lot harder than others. Given that you live in the northeast like me, a combo of a couple of high power fans and open windows should resolve a lot of issues. Buy better fans!
Other than that, put plastic bags over your brakes, keep a sweat guard towel over the bike but also keep wiping yourself down with separate towels, and there is no reason your garmin should be in the way of your sweat, take it off the bike (or your wrist) and set it a bit further away.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be worthy of separate thread but how do you hydrate in hot races? I have done eagleman last 4 years and I always have mild heat exhaustion after with 2 years ago getting severe cramping. My sweat rate is higher than my absorption rate. I take in 48oz an hour (2
Bottle) on the bike and pretty much the max I can on the run into I feel sloshing/bloated. My sweat rate has topped 5 pounds an hour in extreme heat + humidity. I laugh at most tri nutrition / hydration articles.
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me: Possible new bike for 2017 *Heavy Salty Sweater Edition* [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also when I think ventilator - I think being intubated.
What is this device you speak of?

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellow heavy sweater and its one reason I really dislike indoor workouts... soaked towels, soaked rollers and soaked bike... then there's me. Cleaning up my mess while I'm raining sweat all over is zero fun... I digress.

A roadie friend of mine suggested I get a stationary bike, which is similar to the solution you're going with. It's still going to get rained on with your sweat though. I've managed to keep my stuff in decent shape, wiping down the right parts, replacing bar tape, replacing steering "area" bolts maybe once a year... could go titanium I suppose. For what its worth, I ride my road bike most of the time over the last two years and haven't noted any major declines in my cycling. It is easier to wipe down as well than my Speed Concept... i.e. the rear brake. Seized that up one time and they had to get me a whole new assembly. :)

Not sure I have much to add... just a fellow sweater checking in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
Also when I think ventilator - I think being intubated.
What is this device you speak of?

Like onea these bad boys

http://www.globalindustrial.com/...u6xs4CFYpbhgodCQoC6Q

You don't want some namby pamby fan, you want a turbo powered jet prop powerful enough to blow away all your doubts and fears.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next