Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alternative training week
Quote | Reply
Anyone use an alternative training week? I was just reading an article about marathon training with a 9 day training cycle and I was curious if anyone else used aomething similar and if so why? Thanks for reading!
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative training week [teebles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was training for Ironman Canada in 1989, I was on an eight day schedule.

I would do a 100 to 120 mile bike ride or a 20 mile run every other day.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative training week [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^F**K THAT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most of us working stiffs are stuck to a 7 day cycle because the long bike ride is anchored to the weekend. I can get my long run in during the week, but would never find the time for a long enough bike without taking time off work, which I already do a little for my long run but i have a little flexibility in my work schedule (I set my daily hours, but still M-F).

if I was not working or had a truly flexible schedule, I would be open to other training cycles, either shorter or longer times between long bike rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teebles wrote:
Anyone use an alternative training week? I was just reading an article about marathon training with a 9 day training cycle and I was curious if anyone else used aomething similar and if so why? Thanks for reading!

We have done lots of 8 day cycles, due to people working as nurses or in heavy industry. Basically they work 4X12 with sometimes overtime and driving 1 hour plus each way. Very hard to throw in anything more than something like 30-60 minutes if peoples work day (work plus driving and prep) extends to 16 hours plus, sometimes graveyards...after 4 days of this though they usually get 4 off.

Most people work on a 7 day cycle. It doesn't hurt to extend that thinking to 14 or 21 days. Lots of people training 8-12 hours a week and trying to cram everything within a 7 day cycle (long ride/run, FTP and track, tempo, 3 hard swims etc etc..) If you look at all the necessary elements (for your own individual goals) and extend the window to 14 or 21 days there is IMO way more room for creativity, recovery etc...a lot of important elements in training don't need to be repeated every 7 days.

Lots of different ways to skin a cat,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done just a swim week before. And when I got back into my normal training regime it felt like I was crushing it (for a bit), especially running. I know swimming isn't necessarily alternative to Tri's, but it's alternative to a typical training week. I've gotten into mountain biking as well, and when I do a week of mountain biking instead of tri/road biking, my road biking feels stronger for some reason also.

On a side note (not that you asked), I always get nervous with my off weeks and "alternative weeks" because of how easy I gain weight. I don't have much self control when it comes to shoveling food into my face. Burning a shit-ton of calories allows me this pleasure.
Quote Reply