Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any pipe smokers in here?
Quote | Reply
I really like the smell of pipe tobacco. When I'm camping or golfing I like to smoke them little Captain Black cigarillos. I like cigars too, but pipe tobacco seems milder and sweeter to me.
Of course my wife doesn't think it's a good idea.
Cool, or would I look like a doofus Norman Rockwell poser?
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in here? [triathlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me but my father-in-law used to smoke a pipe back in the day. You're right about the nicer aroma from pipe smoke than from cigars.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would look like a doofus, but who gives a shit, especially if you are camping. I like cigars and have tried a pipe. Did not like it. Smoking a pipe is not like smelling someone else smoking a pipe. in other words, the taste is not the same as the smell of the burning tobacco. YMMV.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha awesomeness

Re: Any pipe smokers in here? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Instant cool if I smoke pipe tobacco in one of those no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy? Would go with his fedora and the silly old cars and Cuba.

(Only teasing as I appreciate him much.)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in here? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You would look like a doofus, but who gives a shit, especially if you are camping. I like cigars and have tried a pipe. Did not like it. Smoking a pipe is not like smelling someone else smoking a pipe. in other words, the taste is not the same as the smell of the burning tobacco. YMMV.

I like cigars, and I semi-regularly enjoy smoking a pipe, never touched a cigarette (they are nasty!). Pipes are more complicated than cigars. A cigar (assuming it was properly stored), you just have to light and enjoy. With a pipe, you need a couple of attempts to learn how to properly stack it. Quality of the tobacco is a big issue as well, and not every tobacco works well with every style of pipe. But a well-packed pipe with good tobacco (not the cheap perfume-soaked stuff) is a beautiful thing. I also find that it's easier to smoke "hands free", i.e. keep the pipe in your mouth while having both hands free to work on things. With cigars, the smoke seems to find its way into my eyes real fast when I try that. But like JSA said, YMMV.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in here? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! What type of pipe and tobacco would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in here? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Cerveloguy? Would go with his fedora and the silly old cars and Cuba. "

I smoke the odd Cuban cigar once in awhile, but not often. The last time I smoked a pipe was many, many years ago and was an old brass made in India water pipe that I still own. But it was used for pot back in those days, not tobacco. :-)

My uncle used to smoke a pipe when I was a kid. Always remember a lovely cherry flavor aroma from whatever kind of tobacco he used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlung wrote:
Cool! What type of pipe and tobacco would you recommend?

Entire books have been written on the subject! In the end, the answer is a clear and decisive "it depends" :-)
Personally, I like the classic "Bent Billiard" style of pipes (https://pipedia.org/wiki/Bent_Billiard). They suit me well for both, relaxed reading on the porch as well as hands-free smoking while working on a woddworking project.
For the beginning, I would definitely recommend to go with not too big of a bowl (you should always aim to smoke to the bottom of the bowl, and that's obviously more of a task with a bigger bowl).
Tobacco: like I said, keep away from stuff that has some sort of fruit in their names (plum, cherry, bla bla...). That's cheap stuff with perfume to make it more agreeable to people around you, but you won't get much enjoyment out of it yourself. I don't know what the choices are in the US; here in Europe looking for "Danish Blend" or "Danish Mixture" type tobaccos usually gives you a decent and not too heavy blend that was made purely from different cured tobaccos. Maybe you can find some samplers to try different tobaccos. With time, you'll find what you like best.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlung wrote:
Cool, or would I look like a doofus Norman Rockwell poser?

You couldn't look any more of a doofus than those vaping fucknuts who walk around in huge clouds of smoke (or better yet, the ones who drive and vape, looking like they're paying homage to Cheech and Chong)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend who was a big pipe smoker. He died of a heart attack at 39 years old.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I smoke a pipe when I go camping, sit in a hot springs, when hanging out with college buddies, etc. Probably 2-3 times per year at this point if even that, but I do enjoy it when it happens. My wife likes the smell of pipe smoke so it doesn't bother her. I used to work at the county court house, one of the old guys who would come in every morning wore a velvet suit jacket and always smoked a pipe in the morning before he came in, made me instantly want to go home and smoke mine.

A quality pipe is important. There are $15-25 pipes all over the place, but they are garbage and will ruin the experience for you. They are hard to keep lit, they burn too hot, you constantly have to mess with the stack, etc. I got fed up with the POS I had and went to the local smoke shop, the owner gave me the low down on how cheap pipes are useless. I bought a $50 (on sale, usually $80-100) churchwarden style pipe from him and very much enjoy smoking that pipe. It is still not a "high end" pipe, but it is much better and the smoke is much better. Similar results could be obtained with a more traditional style pipe I am sure, but I liked the look of the one I bought and it works great so I am happy with the churchwarden style.

For tobacco, I usually go with a bag of whatever is mixed by the owner of the smoke shop. He has various flavors in his own packaging and they are usually pretty good. I like the darker stuff personally, some like the lighter stuff. The advantage to going to a real smoke shop is you can smell everything and see what appeals to you. Also you can buy small bags of different tobaccos so you aren't wasting a bunch if you don't like a particular flavor. Any mass produced tobacco I have ever found I am not a big fan off. Much prefer small bags from local shops. The other reason to buy a small bag is the tobacco will dry out which ruins the smoke. As I don't smoke very often, I waste a lot of tobacco even when I buy the small bags.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in here? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I like the idea of sitting around the campfire smoking a pipe. I'll keep the cigarillos for the golf course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you hipsters went right to the hookah?