Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toenail woes
Quote | Reply
I ran my first half marathon a couple months ago and was rewarded with a very bruised big toenail (my own doing, didn't lace up enough). And, while it's no longer bruised...It's now falling off-- about 90% has let go and it's only attached on one side. I have managed to protect it pretty well through my previous tri's this season but I don't think it's going to make it to the next one. Has anyone run in to this? What do I do? It seems pretty tender under and I'm worried if it comes off that I won't be able to race if/when it comes off. How do I protect it for the race in a week and for running etc after? Anyone have any suggestions? This is a first for me:
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail woes [dramaqueensj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO (not being a doctor), getting rid of the toenail is going to be the quickest, least painful solution. I am not sure how connected it is but I personally go to the podiatrist and have them remove it once I know it is past saving or going to fall off anyway. You will back in action next day but want to keep it somewhat protected for a few days.

I, like you, tried to save toenails after my last race and all it did was prolong the healing process and amount of weeks in pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Toenail woes [dramaqueensj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I encouraged the nail to come off as it seemed to speed up the healing process as it allowed more air to the new nail.
It stopped being tender after a few days
Quote Reply