Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What makes 'aero brake calippers' aero?
Quote | Reply
I'm asking about brakes such as campy deltas, modolo kronos, zipps or hookers. None of these are currently being made, in fact, I can't think of an 'aero' brake that is made these days. Is it because there is no market for them? I don't think so, people are paying $400+ dollars for them on Ebay. Or is it that they aren't really aero? They don't seem to meet any of the modern criteria for 'aeroness' (or 'aero-osity' I suppose); i.e. a good (2.5:1 or higher) chord ratio or a narrow frontal area. Unscientifically speaking, they look a bit like a billboard attached to the front of one's bike ("buy campy delta, there fast, I swear"-The pro triathlete du-jour).

It seems to me that any variety of modern brake calipper is better designed for aerodynamics then these monsters, in that modern brakes have a thinner, more svelt frontal aera. I can see how campy brakes take the top prize because they don't have adjuster barrels just hanging out in space on the front of one's bike, but even shimano, tektro or an after market brand seem better off then their 'aero' predecessors.

Does anyone have any real data about the aerodynamic properties of the older 'aero' brakes. Despite the above, I would love to hear that they might make my bike more aero. It would give me something else to strive for in the race for which triathlete can drive themselves into bankruptcy the first.

eddie "bitter because i can't win anything on Ebay" hartwig
Quote Reply
Re: What makes 'aero brake calippers' aero? [eddie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm asking about brakes such as campy deltas, modolo kronos, zipps or hookers. None of these are currently being made, in fact, I can't think of an 'aero' brake that is made these days. Is it because there is no market for them? I don't think so, people are paying $400+ dollars for them on Ebay. Or is it that they aren't really aero? They don't seem to meet any of the modern criteria for 'aeroness' (or 'aero-osity' I suppose); i.e. a good (2.5:1 or higher) chord ratio or a narrow frontal area. Unscientifically speaking, they look a bit like a billboard attached to the front of one's bike ("buy campy delta, there fast, I swear"-The pro triathlete du-jour).

It seems to me that any variety of modern brake calipper is better designed for aerodynamics then these monsters, in that modern brakes have a thinner, more svelt frontal aera. I can see how campy brakes take the top prize because they don't have adjuster barrels just hanging out in space on the front of one's bike, but even shimano, tektro or an after market brand seem better off then their 'aero' predecessors.

Does anyone have any real data about the aerodynamic properties of the older 'aero' brakes. Despite the above, I would love to hear that they might make my bike more aero. It would give me something else to strive for in the race for which triathlete can drive themselves into bankruptcy the first.

eddie "bitter because i can't win anything on Ebay" hartwig OK I'll do my best here: 1. Speaking for my front brake, a Zipp (I use a DA in the rear), the brake has a 'fairing' cover which is not flat, but more like a semi/18 wheeler air shield, it bulges out in front and has no sharp edges 2. It complements the fork very well and blends the fork/lower headset cup/frame 3. The centerpull cable diameter is very narrow and aero since no housing is used 4. There are no caliper arms hanging out the side of the brake Someone should come out with a model once again, as they would sell like hotcakes.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes 'aero brake calippers' aero? [eddie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aero only means that there is no cable housing comin from the top of the brake lever. levers that were used with campy delts, etc are called "aero" brake lever.
Quote Reply