Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best stretches for helping with swimming
Quote | Reply
I've started adding more stretching into my weekly routine. Specifically sitting at a desk all day slumping forward is certainly not helping me. I'm sure the tightness in my chest muscles, shoulder, and upper back contributes to my crossover stroke. Obviously is not the sole cause. But it certainly can't help.

I've been doing some of these

http://www.usmsswimmer.com/...immer_stretching.pdf

Anybody else have some stretches you find helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
I've started adding more stretching into my weekly routine. Specifically sitting at a desk all day slumping forward is certainly not helping me. I'm sure the tightness in my chest muscles, shoulder, and upper back contributes to my crossover stroke. Obviously is not the sole cause. But it certainly can't help.
I've been doing some of these
http://www.usmsswimmer.com/...immer_stretching.pdf
Anybody else have some stretches you find helpful.

I like to stretch my arms in the streamline position up against a wall or in a door frame. Just put those arms up there and stretch until it feels good. I can really feel the degree of soreness in my lats proportional to how hard i swam in my last workout. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank. I'll have to add that one. I've started stretching in doorways throughout the day. Putting forearms on either side of door and just leaning forward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Thanks. I'll have to add that one. I've started stretching in doorways throughout the day. Putting forearms on either side of door and just leaning forward

So, have any of your co-workers started asking why you're always stretching in various doorways???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lay flat on your back on the floor, arms over your head in a V and fingers interlaced, like when you're pushing off from the wall. If your back isn't flat on the ground while your arms are locked straight and the tops of your hands are flat on the ground, it should be. Do that every day until it is.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
Thanks. I'll have to add that one. I've started stretching in doorways throughout the day. Putting forearms on either side of door and just leaning forward

So, have any of your co-workers started asking why you're always stretching in various doorways???

Fortunately, I work at home so just the wife and two dogs to make fun of me. But yes, my wife has asked me why I'm doing that. She's not into triathlons or athletic at all so all these things I do for triathlon are a mystery to her.
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Lay flat on your back on the floor, arms over your head in a V and fingers interlaced, like when you're pushing off from the wall. If your back isn't flat on the ground while your arms are locked straight and the tops of your hands are flat on the ground, it should be. Do that every day until it is.

That's also a good one. A swim clinic I attended encouraged making sure you get a nice streamlined position off the wall (regardless of whether you did flip or open turn) just to help reinforce good posture and alignment. I'm a newbie at actually working on my swim technique (as opposed to just focusing on swim fitness) so thinking about these things is new to me. I actually find adding some swim technique drills in my workout makes it go faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are the ones I do. Since I started doing those and not doing the ones they say not to do my shoulders feel much better.

I used to have constant clicking in my shoulders throughout the range of motion.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Those are the ones I do. Since I started doing those and not doing the ones they say not to do my shoulders feel much better.

I used to have constant clicking in my shoulders throughout the range of motion.

jaretj

That's good to hear. I've had flexibility issues since I did some damage to my shoulders lifting weights in college. No surgery or anything but some clicking as you describe. And I'm working on my flexibility now and correcting a crossover stroke (among other issues).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think those look fine. I generally add in the typical Y, W, & T stretches to my core routine and post swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are interesting. I might have to try them. My left shoulder in particular has a crappy range of motion due to a couple of falls that I have taken mountain biking and trail running. I just had my first session with a swim coach. Part of her assessment of my stroke was that I am not moving my shoulders nearly enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

Fortunately, I work at home so just the wife and two dogs to make fun of me. But yes, my wife has asked me why I'm doing that. She's not into triathlons or athletic at all so all these things I do for triathlon are a mystery to her.

And of course your dogs would never make fun of their Dad. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

They often stretch with me
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had (have) clicking in my right shoulder whenever I do rotator cuff exercises. And general pain. Got an MRI last week, partially torn rotator cuff. Fun stuff, especially with IMCDA coming up in < 30 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I think those look fine. I generally add in the typical Y, W, & T stretches to my core routine and post swimming.

Those are good ones. Been doing those at my desk today.
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
I had (have) clicking in my right shoulder whenever I do rotator cuff exercises. And general pain. Got an MRI last week, partially torn rotator cuff. Fun stuff, especially with IMCDA coming up in < 30 days.

what did your doctor say as treatment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
treimink wrote:

He recommended rest and PT, and surgery if it doesn't improve. Apparently these things don't heal themselves. I am doing PT (internal and external rotations, some reverse flys, etc) and I am icing after the pool.

I may try a cortisone shot (will be a first) and see if that helps in training. If it does than perhaps I will get another in the days leading up to the race.

Should probably start another thread on this but since we are already here...anyone else tried using cortisone before a race?
Quote Reply
Re: Best stretches for helping with swimming [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
treimink wrote:

He recommended rest and PT, and surgery if it doesn't improve. Apparently these things don't heal themselves. I am doing PT (internal and external rotations, some reverse flys, etc) and I am icing after the pool.

I may try a cortisone shot (will be a first) and see if that helps in training. If it does than perhaps I will get another in the days leading up to the race.

Should probably start another thread on this but since we are already here...anyone else tried using cortisone before a race?

Ryan Lochte had a cortisone shot during the Oly Trials and it appeared to help him make the team. Unfortunately, he does not frequent ST so we can't ask him. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

They often stretch with me

My dogs just lie down and rest while i stretch. They stretch when getting up from a long nap but that's about it. :)

Quote Reply