Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I really like talk radio but...
Quote | Reply
I'm getting to the point I simply can't even listen to it anymore. Save a local show in the AM, left and right across the dial seems to have completely lost there damn minds. I was listening to a lefty show the other day and the host proclaimed that the "Right thing" for the RNC to do would be to withdraw entirely from the election because allowing Trump the opportunity to become president could destroy the world. No I'm not making that up and it was words very similar to that...destroy the world.

I'd REALLY love it if someone, anyone of any political leaning, would simply have a talk show that was not 70% fear, 29% making fun of people and 1% truth. I really don't even care if I agree with your positions and politics, please, just be rational, factual, truthful, civil and reasonable...too much to ask? Honestly I just need something to listen to if I go to get something for lunch.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
Honestly I just need something to listen to if I go to get something for lunch.

~Matt

Well, what about music?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just listen to the local sports radio station now. The callers are 90% retarded.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, what about music?

What about it :-)

I don't find it mentally engaging and thus my mind ends up going off on other things..usually work...then I end up eating really fast and getting back to work. Maybe I should try meditation...but that's hard to do while you're eating.

Call me weird. When I'm in the car with other people I listen to music. Largely because I'm engaging with other people. When I'm alone in the car I listen to talk radio, largely because it's engaging.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talk radio and network tv are platforms to boost the need for the blood pressure/impotence/depression medication they sell so hard every four minutes between the "show".

Podcasts, baby!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're weird.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just listen to the local sports radio station now. The callers are 90% retarded.

I am not a sports fan but in the last month or so I have listened to sports talk a couple times because political talk has been so bad and jumped the shark so much that it is unbearable. Honestly how bad does it have to be that a person who has zero interest in sports, in fact for the most part think professional sports is a scourge on society, would rather listen to people blather about someones batting averages then listen to a political talk show?

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're weird.

You new here?

oh...I see what you did there.

~Matt

Last edited by: MJuric: Jul 28, 16 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you reply to me?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.

Matt, check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During election years I tune out that shit out.

Podcasts....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<Honestly I just need something to listen to if I go to get something for lunch.>>

Fresh Air on NPR used to be my go-to when I had a car commute and would drive to get lunch. I know Terri Gross isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I heard a lot of interesting interviews on her program over the years.
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Podcasts....

I think this is where I'm headed. I might initially have withdraw thinking I might be missing some necessary political action...but's that's why we have the LR right?

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
Podcasts....

I think this is where I'm headed. I might initially have withdraw thinking I might be missing some necessary political action...but's that's why we have the LR right?

~Matt

I hear -7 has a podcast, but that may put you over the edge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Why did you reply to me?

i was posting distracted, veered into your lane. Sorry matey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to be informed rather than entertained, there isn't much on the radio worth listening to.

It's not the most exciting radio in the world, but I listen to a lot of CSPAN radio when I'm in the car. It's hard to beat the raw source . A few months ago I was in the car for a long trip and listened to about 4 of the 11-12 hours of Hillary's testimony on Benghazi. I thought it was one of those things that speaks (for better or worse) more about her than all of the combined campaign news I've seen since. The sound bites in the news the next day didn't do it justice. Occasionally they'll air some Supreme Court questioning, which I wish they would do more often.

NPR can also be good on their longer form stuff, but I find it varies topic to topic. I don't commute in the car, so I'm in there at random times and never catch the same shows day to day.

As far as regular conservative talk radio goes, I do listen to Mark Levin on occasion. I disagree with most of what he says, but he can be entertaining when he stays calm. Most of his schtick is to get riled up and angry though, which gets old fast. The local morning talk show on the right wing radio (Mornings on the Mall here in DC) can be pretty good because they talk about news from a conservative perspective. After that the station goes in to Chris Plante, el Rushbo, and Michael Savage for the rest of the day though, all of which are completely intolerable for the reasons you say. The shows are about 5% issues, 95% calling liberals stupid. Boring.

If I commuted by car I'd listen to a lot of podcasts.
Last edited by: Quel: Jul 28, 16 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should get satellite and listen to potus. You get a much more neutral presentation with no yelling. Julie Mason's press pool is pretty cool because you learn how cynical the Washington press corps really is and the reasoning behind their articles which don't always reflect their personal view.

I can't listen to right wing anymore. During the primaries they all took sides and became blatant shills. Mark levin has lost weight so I lost hope he would die on air. As for rush? He's rush. I can still listen to him because I don't honk he takes himself seriously. He's a clown an entertainer.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
I'm getting to the point I simply can't even listen to it anymore. Save a local show in the AM, left and right across the dial seems to have completely lost there damn minds. I was listening to a lefty show the other day and the host proclaimed that the "Right thing" for the RNC to do would be to withdraw entirely from the election because allowing Trump the opportunity to become president could destroy the world. No I'm not making that up and it was words very similar to that...destroy the world.

I'd REALLY love it if someone, anyone of any political leaning, would simply have a talk show that was not 70% fear, 29% making fun of people and 1% truth. I really don't even care if I agree with your positions and politics, please, just be rational, factual, truthful, civil and reasonable...too much to ask? Honestly I just need something to listen to if I go to get something for lunch.

~Matt
I find NPR to be mostly propaganda but one of my favorite showes are on that station unfortunatly its only on weekends. Its "car talk" and you can probably pod cast. The title explains the subject matter but its also funny at times.
Quote Reply
Re: I really like talk radio but... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
During election years I tune out that shit out.

Podcasts....

Another vote for podcast. So many good ones to listen to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I barely listed to right or left wing talk radio when it first came out. I haven't listened to it at all in the past 15-20 years, and I'll take most people's word that it's awful.

I do listen to ESPN and Maddog sports radio, but only for the 10-20 minutes I'm in my car on a local trip. The commercials for getting out of debt, trying to avoid the IRS, and ED are cause for switching channels, but the callers are the worst.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think that the word "like" means what you think it means.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

The only thing I find worse than politic talk radio is sports talk radio. I think because the latter take what is essentially entertainment so serious. It's stupid, and I like sports in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a weekly podcast/talk show
where you can even call in if you like .
the host takes the calls and does not make callers wait on hold
he also has a website where you can read the actual stories discussed daily
https://www.youtube.com/...a1A_JcCiclfDLmEfvnO3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually listen to NPR on my commute to and from work. Some of their shows can be a bit left leaning, but they don't push the fear narrative.

When I'm cutting the grass or going for an easy run, there are a number of podcasts that I'll listen to, ranging from comedy, to my college specific, current events, etc...

Anytime I inhale too much politics, be it radio, TV, FB, or podcasts, I tend to get too pissed off.
Quote Reply