Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School me on credit card rewards [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro tip...ask your friends/family who make larger purchases with cash, if you can put it on your card and them give you the cash. Pay it off right away. Free points.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Pro tip...ask your friends/family who make larger purchases with cash, if you can put it on your card and them give you the cash. Pay it off right away. Free points.
I wish I knew people that did that as I would totally take advantage......

I have a bit done that with my new AMEX card, my father and I split our cell phone bill (he pays one month, I pay the next), well since I get rewards on the AMEX and an additional 10% off cellular bills up to $200 for the rest of the year, my father has given me the cash to pay his cell bills the rest of the year and I always just pay it with the AMEX. And then on top of that I pay my wifes cell phone bill as well, so I am getting an additional $15/month rebate.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or, whenever you can, incur work expenses on your personal card. or incur others' work expenses on their card. you'll have to fill out the expense form, but can be a good way to rack up points...

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
or, whenever you can, incur work expenses on your personal card. or incur others' work expenses on their card. you'll have to fill out the expense form, but can be a good way to rack up points...

I used to have a corporate American express at my old company where I traveled frequently. I paid the $75 bucks a year to get the rewards and I got points on the companies dime. It was a pretty good deal. I was also able to put personal purchases on it as long as I paid the bill.

With my new company (been there almost 5 years), there are no points program with our corporate credit card and you have to put all company expenses on the card (can't use a personal card). I wish we would switch to a different card so I could get points.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on the size of your company, your role, etc, etc, you might consider making a pitch for them to change. i did an audit of our company's spending habits and points collection, etc, and demonstrated the value of swapping to different cards. YYMV. If you're interested, i can share the foundation of the presentation i put together.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for you guys... What method do you use to pay your bill?? Do you mail a check every month?. I've had one credit card since I was 18, so 16 years now, and the card is through my credit union. It is extremely convenient, every pay day I log into my bank account and move my money around to accounts, including paying off the entire balance of my CC. I hate writing checks and sending mail, being able to pay online is much easier. I'm 100% sure there are better credit cards out there for me, and I'd be willing to switch if paying it off was as easy as logging into my bank account and clicking a button.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good Lord no. no checks. i hate checks. paycheck direct deposits into my checking account, and then a portion moves into various savings accounts (with 401k deposits being taken out by my company). all of my personal cards automatically deduct the full balance automatically.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dillon152 wrote:
Question for you guys... What method do you use to pay your bill?? Do you mail a check every month?. I've had one credit card since I was 18, so 16 years now, and the card is through my credit union. It is extremely convenient, every pay day I log into my bank account and move my money around to accounts, including paying off the entire balance of my CC. I hate writing checks and sending mail, being able to pay online is much easier. I'm 100% sure there are better credit cards out there for me, and I'd be willing to switch if paying it off was as easy as logging into my bank account and clicking a button.

I havent written a check in I dont know how long. I pay all bills online or over the phone. Like for example I will call in my DR bill for my recent surgery, every month and pay it with my rewards credit card. The DR doesnt charge interest or a fee to use my CC, so why not do it that way?

I will pay EVERY bill I can with my CC if there isnt a fee to do so (if there is, I use debit)
Quote Reply
Re: School me on credit card rewards [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is this topic in this forum anyways?
Quote Reply

Prev Next