Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here he is again, winning a local triathlon with a 26 mph average.

http://www.thetrishop.com/...-memorial-triathlon/

Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Matt1019 wrote:
I read the OP and knew it was this guy. First encountered him at Island Lake Tri a few years back when he blew by me in what looked like the most uncomfortable position ever, but then again he won the race, and wins nearly every local tri he enters around here.

Just a note about Motor City Tri is that it is a fastttt course. You get a current boost on the swim and the bike is the flattest loop I have ever seen... I also think it's closer to 23.8-24 miles not 24.8.

Interesting. I'm actually thinking about visiting my parents Labor Day weekend in Northville, MI and might do the tri at Island Lake for fun to formally wrap up the season. So, if he shows, it could be a fun match-up. That course had quite a few U-turns and a couple other moderate turns. A couple large rollers if I remember, but a good part of it is straight and flat. If he won, he's a good runner too... or at least DanStu didn't show up to that one. I think he does it every now and then for fun.

Hey Mike,
I'm pretty familiar with both of you, and I'd say it's a pretty close race between you too. Also, AFAIK, Dan doesn't show up to many of the smaller races, he trains A TON. If you've got time let's chat at steelhead, I'll be doing body marking again as usual.
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, just to reiterate what people are already saying, 3D races are more often than not short, and I can tell you right now that the swim on Belle Isle is both short and current aided, and the bike is a tad short as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
His name is Brian Francis - He's a really nice guy and also a very fast triathlete! I've never raced him before but I'm considering racing the next Belle Isle race for a good showdown :)

Clearly the king of sprints. Pretty much scores a 95-99 on every sprint. Like that's all he does though. Would be interesting to see him do USAT Oly next weekend. Is he a decent swimmer/runner?
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, can it Weisenheimer! Toying with making my goal next summer a sub-2:10 at Belle Isle. Don't pre-cheapen that!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, not trying to knock it, just saying how it is, it's a fast course, but as far as 3D races go not their fastest. A sub 2:10 at Belle Isle is still nothing to scoff at, go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is faster? Did the super sprint at Sanford and Sun with my son today. That wold be a pretty fast Olympic - decent pavement, pretty flat, out and back.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until we see a power file, this is all nice speculation. I'm convinced it's a optimized position, the dude might be dropping 300W NP. He looks pretty muscular. 300W would put me right at a sub 2 hour ride at Steelhead depending on wind.... which is about also FWIM a 1/2 mile short.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Look for a small guy on a little white bike this weekend if you're there

Every weekend including yesterday? on a Cervelo?

Also motoguy, you're more likely to see him at the 3D Mich Champs on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend on Belle Isle. I was told he won lifetime 3D entry when they had that perk for winning races back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [BosDet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BosDet wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Look for a small guy on a little white bike this weekend if you're there

Every weekend including yesterday? on a Cervelo?

Also motoguy, you're more likely to see him at the 3D Mich Champs on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend on Belle Isle. I was told he won lifetime 3D entry when they had that perk for winning races back in the day.

Oh well. My parents live in Northville, so Island Lake is pretty close. Still not sure I'll do it. We'll see how next weekend goes.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [BosDet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanford and Sun this weekend was their 1,000th race. They surveyed the crowd to see who'd been racing 3D for the longest. Two guys did their races in '97 - Kenny told them they had free racing for life!

That is a hard business. Everyone has their good and their bad 3D stories, but it is impressive to make it this long.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I moved to Michigan last year and coming from the east coast, 3D pulls off some pretty well organized local races in my opinion. Its too bad Motor City was a little short on the bike/long on the run, but everyone did the same race, and one I did last year on Belle Isle was so poorly marked I had one friend bike 9 miles and another bike 15 for a sprint...and race to race, the conditions change so much its hard to normalize results. The champs and tawas tri should be a good time.

I had the unfortunate self esteem crushing experience of biking behind superman at Island Lake this past weekend (for a few seconds before he hit light speed), and it was amazing to see how much his upper torso rocks in that position. Every pedal-stroke caused his shoulders to sway to the opposite side.
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Here's the article: http://www.thetrishop.com/...nventional-position/

Pretty classic "superman" position, but man the seat looks high and he's barely on the saddle.

That looks retarded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BosDet wrote:

I had the unfortunate self esteem crushing experience of biking behind superman at Island Lake this past weekend (for a few seconds before he hit light speed), and it was amazing to see how much his upper torso rocks in that position. Every pedal-stroke caused his shoulders to sway to the opposite side.

That's why I wonder if it worked at higher specific outputs. I have really good leverage being directly above my arms pads and can even stand up in the arm pads to give my butt a and legs a short rest but not compromise drag much and power over hills if needed. I also have no issue pushing 600, or 800+ Watts still aero but still pedaling smoothly... even when I was 5kg lighter.

For a small local race 3D does well. I did Sister Lakes a couple weeks ago. Only issue was it wasn't a "sanctioned race" so no USAT points for individual or the local club. 2nd, the bike course was a little confusing the way it was laid out. It was really easy to cut the course with the Olympic and Sprint going off about the same time. They should have put a longer gap after the sprint race I think. The 2nd place finisher it turns out later, did cut 1k off the course, accidentally.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Superman postion on softride beam bike with 210mm stem! 27mph for 40K triathlon event and sub 2 hours total. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
It's a Softride, the seat always looks high. Ride one and you will find out.
As the power comes off towards the bottom of the stroke, the beam will sag a little as the riders weight comes back on and it won't appear too high.

Just pointing out that in the picture above, it *is* the bottom of the stroke. And he's got a pointed toe and nearly locked out leg. At least that's what it looks like. Of course one static picture could give the wrong story.

Edit: Actually on further look his toe isn't as pointed as it first appears given he's effectively in front of the BB.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 8, 16 7:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next