Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling?
Quote | Reply

i used to do tris, now just tts. i'm pretty good on my day. but since i've quit swim/run, i've developed back issues, esp since i work at a computer all day. frequently i have problems racing now due to back pain when pushing hard.

i ride 15-20 hours a week in season.

so i'm putting 3x45' swims (lots of fly and non-free) and 3x20' runs back in my schedule. my thinking is that it will improve my baseline physical fitness and durability. in the off-season i might do more swim.

is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you riding 15-20 hours a week?

I'd suggest cutting that down to 8-12, maybe, and getting rid of any fluff riding. If you need a break, take a day off. Then do some actual quality rides with stuff both general and specific to your overall goals.

15-20 hours a week is more than a lot of Cat 1s and 2s I know. I'm a cat 1 and I ride 10-12 hours a week, but it's a lot of quality work. Not a lot of wasted time with that schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i understand what you are saying. but i am happy with my wattages with the training i'm doing on the bike, so i'm not inclined to think that there is any big problem with my bike training. and i do a lot of quality in there.

what's bugging me is how often i drive to a race (often long drives) and find deep into an effort my back bugging me more than my legs.
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic on what you asked, but might I suggest a standing desk (or a convertible desk such as a veridesk). I found that adding a couple hours a day alternating standing instead of sitting while at work has helped a bit with my back. Also curious what % of your 15-20 hrs is on TT bike vs. road. I am closer to 10-12 hrs avg, but find that if I do too much TT volume my back can get a bit finicky.

I would also suggest you plan your swims/runs during Zwift races so I don't have to worry about one more guy who I can't hang with during those races...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha now. You want to improve the back by incorporating the swim and run. I misunderstood the initial post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the run, but getting back into swimming after 6 months off has done wonders for my low back pain (which has been nagging me for 6 months. Swimming, coupled with chiropractic care, has it feeling about 70-90% better on most days. Like you, I'm at a desk way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done any kind of PT for it? My guess is some combination of stretching and back exercises will help a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also can speak to back pain going away when I started swimming. Now, even though I hate it, it's almost necessary to me. Also, some strength training has helped out with lower back pain as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drop the plans to add running.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of swimming for lower back problems, however I would question fly as a solution along with breastroke. Backstroke and freestyle rotate and relax, but fly (and breastroke) both flex the back vertically and stress the lower back. There are other more dedicate swimmers on here you might ask about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just want to TT and get you back into shape I suggest a bit of swimming (forget running) and some preventative work in the gym: foam rolling, core work, etc. Maybe see a chiro or a physio to figure out what the root cause of your problems are. How's your bike fit?
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

what is the reason for that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to stop running because of foot problems and within 3-4 weeks had lower back problems. Happens whenever I stop running. Something about moderate running keeps my back aligned and healthy. I run only 2-3x per week, and don't overdo it, and that seems to help me. I also have mixed in some rowing workouts, and I think that helps too. As I age, I'm becoming a believer in variety and crosstraining. Too much specialization doesn't work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is going to depend on the actual cause of the back pain. with my stenosis, standing is the absolute worst thing I can do to aggravate it, so a standing desk would be pure torture. I don't know the cause of the OPs issues, could just be a weak core, could be stenosis, could be bulging disc, etc. I am keenly aware of the pain that can set in after a while when riding
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect some sort of Tolstoy reference is true for backs, all good backs are probably similar, but every f*d up back is f*d up in its own special way. I've experimented with a bunch of stuff for my own back and would encourage others to (gently and carefully) do the same, the exact set of things that will help/hurt will presumably vary. For my issues, standing desk for a couple hours a day (but not the whole day) helps. As a couple others mentioned, some simple stretches I learned post surgery at PT also help (especially hamstring stretches). I also find that I do better if I don't take any days off cycling; a day spinning at 100 watts for an hour keeps my back from tightening up (vs taking a full rest day).
Quote Reply
Re: is this a stupid plan to improve my time trialling/cycling? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I like the idea of swimming for lower back problems, however I would question fly as a solution along with breastroke. Backstroke and freestyle rotate and relax, but fly (and breastroke) both flex the back vertically and stress the lower back. There are other more dedicate swimmers on here you might ask about that.

+1 on the questionable fly. It is always hard to pinpoint an exact cause of a problem, but my last disk problem leading to back surgery came right after a masters workout that had a lot of fly. Since then I've added fly to my list of activities to avoid. I personally like kick with fins as a good back stretch out swim exercise, but your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drop 10 mins off some of the indoor rides, get on a mat and strengthen up?

Plenty of work you can do to strengthen back and all around core that wouldn't take much to do.

Just laying on your stomach and raising your arms and legs (supermans) for a session per week resolved many of my back issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no PT or doctor but sounds to me you might have some strength/physical imbalances now that you are focused on a single sport. Do you do any other type of exercise/physical activity (besides chores or yardwork)?

Having a weak core in proportion to your glutes/back can create back problems or vice versa (one side winning the tug of war means you won't be a happy camper). Having a sore lower back might not even be your lower back and might be your glutes.....it is a larger muscle than you think and overlaps where your lower back starts (or what most thinks is their lower back). Tight hip flexors or hamstrings can also cause a cascade effect too. The list can go on and on.

I'd say find a good sports doctor to get it diagnosed or find the root of the problem. Some cross training in the future might help you prevent these injuries too...doing tri training in the past gave you that cross training but a cycling only focus has taken that away. Some strength training might benefit you a couple of days a week...the pros do it (cyclists, triathletes, swimmers, you name it they typically will do strength work).
Quote Reply