Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And our hard earned money going to these people is a good idea?
Quote | Reply
Seriously.

http://www.cnn.com/...-arrested/index.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: And our hard earned money going to these people is a good idea? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously.

http://www.cnn.com/...-arrested/index.html

$.22 per person per year. Just saying...

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: And our hard earned money going to these people is a good idea? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of it going to corrupt dictators and their cronies in the name of helping people who haven't evolved to the point they can be helped.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: And our hard earned money going to these people is a good idea? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like there's a new job opening!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: And our hard earned money going to these people is a good idea? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy is irrelevant as much as their society accepts this. I recall reading about so called "cleansers" a decade ago. These guys did this very thing and most of them had AIDS. We happen to spend a lot of money on AIDS research for Africa. These people aren't even middle ages evolved, let them evolve a couple millennia before you waste my money on them. Jesus Christ, with all the problems in the world that needs fixing, helping these people should be way down the priority list.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of it going to corrupt dictators and their cronies in the name of helping people who haven't evolved to the point they can be helped.

Well it's costing my family a mere $.002 a day to support the corrupt dictators and their cronies in Malawi in the name of helping people who haven;t evolve to the piint they can be helped...it's costing me 35K times that a day to support the corrupt dictators, their cronies and people who haven't evolved to the point they can't be helped right here in the good ol' US of A.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: And our hard earned money going to these people is a good idea? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm paying 40 dollars a week to fill up my tank. I feel a lot better when I only pay 35 dollars a week to fill up my tank. Every little thing counts. Besides, I think our assistance compounds the problems. The dictators use our food aide, our funds to support their genocidal armies. You ever see the scene from Black Hawk Down where the UN drops a crate of grains for the Somalis only for an armed militia to show up and with the use of guns scare the needy away. Progress man.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These people aren't even middle ages evolved, let them evolve a couple millennia before you waste my money on them. Jesus Christ, with all the problems in the world that needs fixing, helping these people should be way down the priority list.

Put the ignorance of AID's aside and my anti-position on government spending aside, Can you tell me what the problem is with sending someone to what essentially amounts to as a sex therapist? Granted this tradition is not quite as evolved as our US version wold be, but I'm not quite understanding your strong position against it. Assuming that the girls are consenting without pressure, have gone thru puberty and the process is relatively professional I'm not quite understanding the strong stance against it.

Put it another way. Let's say we had a US version where parents sent their young men and women to a sexual surrogate at some point post puberty. There they were taught about sex, what to expect, protection blah, blah blah. Would you have the same reaction? What about adults who do the same thing?

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm paying 40 dollars a week to fill up my tank. I feel a lot better when I only pay 35 dollars a week to fill up my tank.

I would too, but we aren't talking 40 and 35 we are talking $40 and $39.998. I spill more then that.

Besides, I think our assistance compounds the problems.

I don't disagree and agree that we shouldn't be sending them a dime. However the reason I don't think we should be sending them a dime has nothing to do with there "Traditions" or "Lack of being evolved" it's because I don't believe in government spending for all but some very specific reasons.

In the list of things government spends on that they shouldn't...this is pretty far down on my "Outrage" list.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all counts dude. Liberals throw that argument all the time. Republicans to when it comes to budget cuts. They go down the list and leave something because it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. THen they don't touch the stuff that is too big to issue. There isn't a lot of the in between, so little gets done. And those little things add up.

Think of it like coupons. I haven't used them in a long time, but 50 cents an item ads up when you get to 100 items. Even 10 cents does. While we may only spend 22 cents a person on this venture, how much are we spending on other ventures in the same area? How transparent is USAID? One summer in college I worked for a department that funded agriculture projects projects all of them in Africa. That amounted to 10 million dollars. And that was just my college. I don't know how that appeared on their ledger or their accountability reports. But 10m annually divided by 300 million is 3 cents a person there. Another professor of mine went to Kenya every other year to teach accounting to its bureaucrats. I'm sure that project was a couple hundred thousand. Then there is direct aid, unicef, the AIDS projects that Iron_Mike works on. And on and on and on and on.

Quote Reply