Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay Cleats
Quote | Reply
So I about killed myself at an intersection when I couldn't easily clip out of my Zeros. When I got home I noticed that I was missing the 2 bottom screws off the cleat and it was moving around way too much. I found some replacement screws at Home Depot but I don't currently have any Locite to put on the end of the screws. So how critical is it that I get some Locite before installing these screws?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Cleats [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The screws that go into your shoe don't need loctite, you can crank those down and they will stay pretty well. It is pretty important for the four screws that attach the cleat to the mounting plate to have loctite.. Those screws can't be fully tightened, they cause the c-clip to bind.

You can probably ride for bit, but I would pick up some loctite.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Cleats [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, it's the 4 screws that attach the cleat to the mounting plate. I guess I'll have to hunt down some Locite
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the cleat to mounting plate screws, loctite and the correct torque on the screws is a must for the cleats to work properly and stay attached. You can order replacement screws online for like $6 and the Speedplay torque driver for $15-$20. Cheap insurance... I personally witnessed someone crash going into transition at a local Oly because they could not unclip as one of the cleat screws had backed out. Brand new cleats he had installed with the day before with reused screws with no Loctite.
My LBS installs the cleats for free if you buy them from the shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Speedplay pedals for 14+ years of training and racing. I'm pretty particular about keeping things clean which means I'm disassembling the cleats (for cleaning/relubing) a dozen times a season at least. I don't use Loctite and I have yet to encounter a loose screw. Besides of which what happens when you want to remove the screws? Just torque it down hand tight and you should be good to go. Inspect things often enough to convince yourself it's safe (like before and after each ride).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to get blue LocTite at Home Depot, and even at places like Target.

Also, get some cleat covers. Improved aerodynamics, and no messing up the screw heads by walking.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that the screws provided by Speedplay have detents on the underside of the countersunk surface to help bite into the cleat slot material. This is what allows them to be tightened down enough to not back out while also not being overly tight and pinching the cleat spring. If you use normal replacement screws it will probably require loctite to keep them from backing out.
Quote Reply