Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio
Quote | Reply
(Reuters) - All six athletes in Russia's triathlon squad have been cleared to compete at next month's Rio Olympics, the International Triathlon Union (ITU) said on Wednesday.
"None of the six Russian triathletes (three men, three women) that have qualified for 2016 Olympics are included in the McLaren report, nor have any of them served suspensions or bans for failed doping tests," the ITU said in a statement.
"Additionally, they have all been tested outside of Russia. Therefore, ITU will recommend to the IOC (International Olympic Committee) that these six athletes be permitted to compete in Rio next month."
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is mainly the track and field, weightlifting athletes that doped so I dont understand why people are saying NO for the russians on the slowtwitch poll in participating. look at their itu results.... nothing spectacular mostly MOP. Now if they were taking out mola, gomez, and brownlees, that should raise an eyebrow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"All six athletes in Russia's triathlon squad have been cleared to compete at next month's Rio Olympics, the International Triathlon Union (ITU) said on Wednesday."

not so fast. according to my reporting (story on front page) not all steps have yet been taken.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAS needs to approve the nomination, but what isn't clear is what additional basis they will be using for such a decision. Are they going to look at known associations with other people in the sport and outside the sport? So they consider some tests/labs to be "better" than others? Frequency of testing?

This whole process is so unclear.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this happens, no one should be surprised.

The IOC does not care about fair sport (which, admittedly, these days is nearly impossible).
Sadly, they just care about $$$.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If this happens, no one should be surprised.

The IOC does not care about fair sport (which, admittedly, these days is nearly impossible).
Sadly, they just care about $$$.

Exactly. Which is why those who denigrate WTC's World Championships simply because they are a business and think that the IOC is any different are beyond naĂ¯ve.
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This whole process is so unclear."

i agree. i don't understand on what basis an IF is supposed to prove an athlete is worthy if a history of not testing positive does not constitute proof.

i don't think any included russians should be racing under the russian flag. i don't think any relays should be allowed. nothing that says russia. inclusion ought to be an extraordinary act, and under an international flag. or, you just follow WADA's recommendation: no russian athletes period.

i disagree with WADA's view, tho, that stepanova should be allowed to compete. she was a doper, doped for at least 5 years. racing is a privilege, not simply extended by governing and organizing bodies but by your fellow athletes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah...I giggled over that headline.
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"This whole process is so unclear."

i agree. i don't understand on what basis an IF is supposed to prove an athlete is worthy if a history of not testing positive does not constitute proof.

i don't think any included russians should be racing under the russian flag. i don't think any relays should be allowed. nothing that says russia. inclusion ought to be an extraordinary act, and under an international flag. or, you just follow WADA's recommendation: no russian athletes period.

i disagree with WADA's view, tho, that stepanova should be allowed to compete. she was a doper, doped for at least 5 years. racing is a privilege, not simply extended by governing and organizing bodies but by your fellow athletes.

Same here. I tend to agree with the IOC's decision that Stepanova only blew the whistle once it was convenient for her to do so. She deserves "some" kudos for that, but I don't think that should extend as far as allowing her to compete.

There are, undoubtedly, clean Russian athletes, and to me the real shame is that they are getting unfairly tarnished in all of this. Throughout the Games, every time a Russian athlete is mentioned, the question will be "is (s)he or isn't (s)he"....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
it is mainly the track and field, weightlifting athletes that doped so I dont understand why people are saying NO for the russians on the slowtwitch poll in participating. look at their itu results.... nothing spectacular mostly MOP. Now if they were taking out mola, gomez, and brownlees, that should raise an eyebrow

22 out of 28 Russian rowers have been banned from the games, which, for all intents and purposes, nullifies any chance for them to be competitive (would have to combine different athletes in different and new boatclasses). So its more than just weights and athletics!
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results shouldn't be the determining factor. Even so, I believe a Polyansky won a World Cup recently.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Jul 27, 16 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: All six Russian triathletes cleared to compete at Rio [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
synthetic wrote:

22 out of 28 Russian rowers have been banned from the games, which, for all intents and purposes, nullifies any chance for them to be competitive (would have to combine different athletes in different and new boatclasses). So its more than just weights and athletics!

It's worth mentioning that most of those 22 Russian rowers who weren't allowed to compete in Rio didn't have any doping related issues at all. They were not allowed to compete only because they haven't been tested "enugh times" outside of Russia. For example, in a lightweight women doubles those two athletes just started practicing rowing 2 years ago - they used to be amateur cross-country skiers. First year they were picking up rowing technique then started to get some results and qualified for the Olympics. So they competed only few times outside of Russia, all doping tests were clean but it's considered not enough.

So, the fact that 22 out of 28 Russian rowers have been banned from Olympics doesn't mean than all 22 had some doping issues or was mentioned in McLaren report.
Quote Reply