Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens?
Quote | Reply
Hoping to do a race in 2017. Have Kona potential. Looking at the Texas webpage and it just says the following.

The 2017 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas North American Championship offers qualifying slots for the 2017 IRONMAN World Championship in Kona, Hawaii.

Is it normal for WTC to not say how many? When is that decided? With more races and all the slots going elsewhere, wondering if we'll see even less then 40?

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens? [runfromnothing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They usually do say. I wouldn't be surprised to see this information added. Also, I would be shocked if it was less than 40 given that it is the North American championships race, which generally means more slots (historically 75 instead of 50).
Quote Reply
Re: Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens? [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I checked Ironman Canada (which is open) and it says the same thing (no numbers, just that there will be slots)

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens? [runfromnothing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runfromnothing wrote:
Thanks. I checked Ironman Canada (which is open) and it says the same thing (no numbers, just that there will be slots)

Could be nothing, but wonder if it's a move to a point system.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
time will tell but been pondering if the continued reduction of slots at North American races is playing a role in the stall of ironman participation. (not sure if totally is but get that vibe). that carrot is getting smaller and more unreachable for so many.

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI Texas is now showing 75 slots for 2017.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runfromnothing wrote:

As of right now it says 40 for IM Canada

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
negative

Front page still talks about 2016 (which had 40). when you hit register has the generic response about 2017

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/canada.aspx#/axzz4FQhbxNey

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but yeah Texas got updated since this morning. now they need to do Canada's...

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right. I would wager though there will be 40 and their just haven't updated the Front Page of the race. If you look at Lake Placid which also just opened, it has updated 2017 numbers on fromt page but on registration page it just says there will be slots.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Is it Normal for WTC to Not say how many Kona Slots are at a race when Registration Opens? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha, that might be a bet i want to take.... wtc has got to keep finding slots and we'll be down to 20 or 30 with races like canada...

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply