Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the original question was limited to Wellington v. Ryf. He opened it a bit with language regarding "best IM triathlete ever", however I don't think that opens the door to an ITU v. IM debate.

The level of competition needs to be considered to some degree when comparing athletes of different eras - I don't have an answer or opinion since I am not familiar with the competitors across the history of IM, but would assume the level of professionalism and competition has increased with the passage of time.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
Please rename this thread to: The Third Coming of Paula Newby Fraser.

What, no love for Natascha Badmann?

Erin Baker also won a few races here and there...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is fair, Ryf might have beaten Rinny had she not pulled out but we can't know that either way. Both ladies are looking in really good form so it will be an excellent competition the next time they duel.
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this was about Chrissie coming back to race again.

X2
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
tlc13 wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Wasn't Rinny hit by a car before the race last year?

yes, that was part of my point "not of her own doing". Even with that public seemed to quickly forget about her for 2016.

Was a car even involved? I thought she just wrecked her bike while trying to open a Snickers bar?

she slipped on her snickers wrapper
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
denali2001 wrote:
Gwen is awesome but do we know if her bike is strong enough yet? I don't suggest it's not good enough to win a bunch of LC races and even Kona because she is such a great runner, but it would take a lot out of her to be doing what Rinny did a couple years ago. That could make it tough on her longevity in LC.

Even Chrissy seemed to carry some scars from having to dig deep in Kona in 2011. Now obviously Chrissy was injured that year, but it's tough to keep going back to the well.

Gwen is a stronger on the bike now then Rinny (she may not be the fastest in ITU, but she is probably in the top 20 on the bike and that is really fast). And a stronger swimmer. And a stronger runner. Of course this is all over short distances, but odds are it will carry over to longer distances (very fast 10k runners tend to be very fast marathoners).

The thing is, she does not appear to have much interest in long distance and I do not blame her.

I doubt we will see her ever race an Ironman. I really don't expect to see her much after Rio IF she gets gold. Possibly retire after this year or next.
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the problem with smart people being great athletes. They retire before running themselves into the ground. It's even happening in the NFL.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Second Coming of Chrissie Wellington [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chrissie is not coming back, that's what happens when you're serving a lifetime ban.
Quote Reply

Prev Next