Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: General question about non-USA politics [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Blame ol' Stevie Harper. He thought that a long campaign would be good because the PCs have more money. Yet their ads were terrible.

"Justin just isn't ready". Really? That's what you went with? That implies that they can't find anything wrong with their opponent other than a lack of experience. So I guess next election he will be very ready.

Sadly they were right but had no clue how to articulate it.
Quote Reply
Re: General question about non-USA politics [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Blame ol' Stevie Harper. He thought that a long campaign would be good because the PCs have more money. Yet their ads were terrible.

"Justin just isn't ready". Really? That's what you went with? That implies that they can't find anything wrong with their opponent other than a lack of experience. So I guess next election he will be very ready.

Sadly they were right but had no clue how to articulate it.

Yeah. The sky has really fallen since the election.

I'm not Justin fan boy, but, come on.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: General question about non-USA politics [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. The sky has really fallen since the election.

I'm not Justin fan boy, but, come on.

If I got my news from the Lavender Room, I'd think Canada and the U.S were not only the worst places on earth to live, but the worst places in all of history. I look around me here in Vancouver and just don't see the despair and hopelessness that I keep reading about.

Quote Reply
Re: General question about non-USA politics [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big difference is money. Not sure how other countries do it, but in Canada, we have strict limits on campaign finance.

Only individuals are allowed to contribute and there's a strict cap on how much each person can contribute (its in the ~$1500 range). There's also a cap on how much a party can spend in the general election, and per riding (district). Generally, this limits federal campaigns to the $10-20M range for a 4-8 week campaign.

It isn't perfect - parties receive a per vote subsidy so there's definitely an incumbency advantage, but the low $$ figures mean that it isn't as in your face 24/7 for two years beforehand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next