Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleaning training gear in between workouts
Quote | Reply
How does everyone handle cleaning workout clothes during training? Obviously the best idea is to have enough gear to last for at least a week, but everyone has a favorite kit that you use regularly. My friends and I all just rinse them off with soap in the shower, but that doesn't do the best job. I'd rather not use the washing machine everyday as it's ruined some of my favorite tri shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [PistolPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll rinse and soak in warm water in the sink. Wring out, roll up in a towel and stand on it. Hang dry.

This usually gets me a few uses out of bibs and jerseys.

Running shorts go in the wash after one use. I guess I could do the same and get a couple wears between washings, but I have a bunch of pairs of running shorts.

Side note: I can never get my friends to join me in the shower to wash me down. I think I'm doing it wrong. Hell, I can't even get my wife to get in the shower with me!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only one wear for me for eveything but Speedos since they go in chlorinated water in the pool and get hung up after.
Bibs or trishorts are particularily bad especially if you use chamois cream. Buy some cheap gear on sale. Save your good stuff for long workouts and use old or cheaper stuff for short sessions. Using a cycling kit after a hard bike session even after rinsing it doesnt sound so appealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what's going on with your washing machine, but I wash all of my gear (and let it air dry) once a week and have never had an issue. I have some garments that I use weekly that are several years old and are still good enough for mid-week runs and rides.

I rinse swim jammers in the shower between uses but I would not do that for run or cycling gear. Especially not running shirts. That would be gross given the temperatures most of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All workout clothes go in the washing machine as soon as possible after each use. The smell is horrendous if allowed to sit for even a day or so. Also, if bike shorts aren't clean (and merely rinsed after last use) I am more prone to chaffing/discomfort. Using the washing machine regularly on workout clothes doesn't seem to shorten their life in an significant way. YRMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I easily have a week's worth of gear. For running and biking I rinse the kit out in the shower and hang dry before it goes into the hamper. It helps that I live in a dry climate.

I'd say my average pair of running shorts lasts 10 years. I can find Nike or Adidas running shorts at TJ Maxx for $15.

Some DeFeet cycling socks I got in 2002 are still going strong.

Probably 3-5 years for cycling bibs and 10 for jerseys. I really like the $80 entry-level Castelli bibs, but those are definitely the biggest clothing outlay. Got some Assos as a birthday gift that I save for really long rides.

Races will provide you with more tech tees than you can ever wear.

I did some bike touring, and even though we washed our kit in the sink w/soap each night, by the 3rd wearing they had pretty much hit their limit.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PistolPete wrote:
How does everyone handle cleaning workout clothes during training? Obviously the best idea is to have enough gear to last for at least a week, but everyone has a favorite kit that you use regularly. My friends and I all just rinse them off with soap in the shower, but that doesn't do the best job. I'd rather not use the washing machine everyday as it's ruined some of my favorite tri shorts.
I wash everything but my shoes and watch before using it again.

Clothes in the washing machine with detergent, helmet and eyeglasses rinsed in the shower.

Actually, if there are clothes I did not wear but just carried - say a rainjacket in a back pocket - I might skip washing it. But the rest - full wash.

And while washing definitely wears out clothes, it shouldn't happen fast if you have a decent machine, don't use excessively hot water, and don't overuse detergent.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jul 26, 16 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to wash your cycling shorts properly after each ride, if you like saddle sores etc then feel free to not wash them properly between training sessions.

I also wash my running gear after each session, mainly because I don't want to be smelling awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also am thinking along the same lines as jpk_phx that your washing machine is suspect. Might be time to buy a new washing machine or think about using special gentle detergents on the gentle cycle for your kits only.

I only wear my gear (running or cycling) 1x and then it goes in the wash. Hang dry on a flat surface for the cycling shorts and jerseys (if I remember or the wife remebers to sort these out). Running stuff gets the full wash/dry treatment (same for workout clothes too).

Swimming jammers I rinse them out after a pool swim and use them a few more times before washing. If they ever see a lake for an OWS practice then those get washed after that use.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use a special sport detergent?

I have a few tech workout shirts (I like to wear Nike Pro Combat for workouts at home on the treadmill or trainer) that are several years old, but smell all the time. They smell fine right out of the wash, but as soon as I begin to sweat even a little, the funk comes out. They may need to be replaced, but wondering if a sports oriented detergent would help defunktify them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't.

At my house we put a scoop of Oxi-Clean with the wash and I haven't had any issues with my workout clothes staying funky. But I also use those dryer sheets too for the stuff that I throw in there.

You could try more drastic measures and go the vinegar bath route to kill the odor causing bacteria (I'd recommend washing 2 times to get the vinegar smell out). Or, freeze your clothes or let them bath in the sun (UV rays kill the bacteria). I used to wear Vibrams for a period of time and had to resort to these measures to reduce the funk (eventually had to retire them as it got to be too much).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday a training day like any other. Long bike followed by a rinse in nearby lake. Squeeze out excess water, hang to dry. Eventually a wash is necessary, but certainly not after every workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:

I have a few tech workout shirts (I like to wear Nike Pro Combat for workouts at home on the treadmill or trainer) that are several years old, but smell all the time. They smell fine right out of the wash, but as soon as I begin to sweat even a little, the funk comes out. They may need to be replaced, but wondering if a sports oriented detergent would help defunktify them.

Try soaking them in vinegar overnight before the next wash, that usually helps defunktify them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I set my workout gear on the floor it burned a hole clear through to the basement, kind of like that scene from Aliens.

Into the wash as soon as I get home. This year's kit will become next years workout kit, I don't mind if the wash tears it apart over time, by the end of year 2 it's up for retirement anyway.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can go 4 days with "the good stuff" and 7 or 8 if I am willing to dig deep into the older stuff.

My "locker room" is right next to the laundry room so laundry is a nonevent (at least now that the kids are gone and the washer and dryer are usually empty). I hang it up after a workout so its not laying around wet then do my own load of workout gear every 3-4 days. I use regular laundry detergent but go low on the amount. The dryer is potentially way more dangerous to tech fabrics then a washing machine. I dry my stuff on the lowest temp setting and my stuff lasts several years.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as I finish my workout I get in the shower with gear on, and just take a shower. Afterwards I just roll-dry and hang them in there. I wash them once a week in the washing machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pretty bad fungal skin infection partly due to not washing my training clothes often enough, since then I wash bike shorts after every use, running stuff after every two uses, and towels after every use.

I wash all my sports stuff together using the Halo Sports Wash, so you can wash at lower temperatures, I have had no problems since and the clothes don't seem to be affected by being washed too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning training gear in between workouts [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this same vein, does anyone have opinions or methods for keeping the whites white?

Swimming in lakes, the whites of our tri clothes are discolored? Obviously not bleach, but does someone know of a product or method to whiten it back up?

Just the regular wash cycle doesn't work and I've tried some Oxi Clean as well without much progress........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:

Hex. Started using it and have never looked back.
(I create some of the worlds worst smelling gear...)

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply