Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a strong opinion here on this one, I bought a P2 for 1975 (2014 model), added a Power 2 Max crank based PM, a set of Hed Jet 6/9 wheels with conti tires, and an alloy Vision base bar that routes the brake cables in a much more clean line than the Stock Profile base bar. At that point I was under $4k. I did go on to order more after that, I replaced the drivetrain with campy so that all of my other gear was interchangable. All of the tri rig stuff is nice but I will save that for squeezing the last few seconds. I also only race olympics and sprints so the payoff is a little less for the tri rig front end.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [neil5young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add all the items you want to your cart on Probikekit and then use a discount code. Alternatively, EBay
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [neil5young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neil5young wrote:
In a similar position looking at getting my first TT bike. Any tips on finding the Ultegra di2 TT groupset? Seem to only come up with road setup and then would have to pull the base + aero shifters.

Glory Cycles has the TT kit for about $1400 with brake levers: http://glorycycles.com/...hlon-tt-upgrade-kit/

But looking at individual parts on Probikekit and Wiggle, it seems you could put together a kit for about $1100.

Anyone else see cheaper options?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well those are bikes with different geometries, some of them vastly different. They can't all be an option for you.

Shiv is VERY narrow and tall. If you know that frame fits you, then you should buy that. Not many other bikes have that fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very late response (and I didn't read the whole thread) but without any more details on athlete size/shape and fit, I feel strongly that the Trek SC7.5 is the best deal in this price range. It is aerodynamically the same as the SC9, i.e., at the level of the best in the world in terms of speed, will fit a very wide variety of people and positions, and is very easy to wrench. The first one is nice, but you should not underestimate the importance of the last two.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am VERY late to the party here.
Though I own one of the bikes on that list and surprised that another is not.

The SpeedConcept7.5 is a great ride - though if you sweat heavy... I do have a thread going on how my love hate relationship is going with my Trek product... (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread)

Also - lets talk here about "$4000"
If you are not on a Tri Team. Join one.
I currently get 20% off from one of my bike shops.
STRETCH THAT DOLLAR!
This sport is already silly expensive. Do whatever you can to get your money's worth.

One model that fits the mold even without a discount is the new Giant
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trinity.advanced.pro.2/25993/92746/

If you DO get a discout - this will get you close to that 4K mark
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trinity.advanced.pro.1/25993/92745/

I would opt for the 2nd over the first though thats just me.
Also go get a solid relationship with your local bike shop.

As a matter of fact - get off the PC and go to your bike shop.
And then do their morning ride.
And then buy them coffee.
Pick their brain on what they think too.

Then come back here and tell us what you think you want.

And when you get your slick new ride - post that sucker on here to make each and every one of us jealous.

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fist off, thanks to all for the advice. I currently ride a medium 2011 Shiv Expert with 170mm cranks which has been a really great bike but was looking to try something new. Based on the very helpful responses I think I have narrowed down my choices to:

Felt IA (intrigued by the idea of building up a higher end frameset but the ultegra components on the IA 14 are really all I need, I think)
Trek Speed Concept 7.5 (anyone know if you they can do custom paint on this one?)
Cervelo P3 (road bike is a cervelo S3 and I really like it but the paint scheme on the new P3s is just too ugly to spend this much on - would need figure in a new paint job into my budget)

In terms of fit, would any of the above 3 bikes be so different than a Shiv (my front end is not low - less than 5cm below my seat) that I might have trouble getting it dialed in or could not get it with 170mm cranks?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The giant trinity is a complete piece of shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Triathlon Bike Under $4000 [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
The giant trinity is a complete piece of shit.

This is not the trinity - for those of us who are paying attention.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to get semantic with it, fine.

The Giant Trinity Advanced Pro and everything derivative of it, including the Liv line, are complete pieces of shit, and they don't belong in this conversation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is your opinion and not in any way shape or form based on fact.

Though since were on you and pieces of shit -
What about this line of bikes makes them so?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:

Since you asked...I'll start with the front end and work my way back.

1) The front brake: horrible. Why bicycle manufacturers continue to use that TRP trash is beyond me. Just put the damn thing in front of the fork. We've already seen from the latest ERO data that the Omega X in front of the IAx fork is faster than no brake at all. Think about that, and then try to tell me I should have that awful thing behind the fork.

2) The BTA aero bottle: shit. The thing doesn't stay on the bike. Since it doesn't stay on the bike, you can just go with another BTA setup, right? Wrong. The way that dumb, unpolished curved stem sticks its neck up into the extension area makes it impossible to configure a bottle properly if you run a low stack. Could they have added two properly spaced M4 threads so that I can just use my own cage in between the extensions? Of course they could have, but they are exceptionally stupid, so they didn't.

3) The cable routing: awful. Even with electrical tape and heat shrink enforcement, the act of steering the front end is tearing up e-tube cables. (Of course, if you're some type of peasant and don't use electronic shifting, this isn't an issue for you -- though you have larger issues).

4) The rest of the front end also sucks. If I haven't mentioned it, it's still terrible. The stock extensions, the pads, the shitty exposed bolts...it's all a failure.

5) The bento box: useless. The thing doesn't have the capacity to hold two gus, it's so small. It does a fairly good job of hiding the 5 port junction, but it doesn't matter because I can't shift since the front end already chewed through all my e tubes. If you can't figure out how to do this right, just put some M4 threads on the top tube!

6) The aero frame bottle: abysmal. What's the problem? You guessed it: the thing doesn't stay on the bike.

I'm getting tired...but I also hate the rear brake and pretty much everything else. The color schemes on the men's models are all awful, except the black one, which is of course the UCI legal model. The Liv color schemes are quite attractive, but of course nothing is truly becoming on such a shitty bike.

So this is a triathlon bike in the works for years from the world's largest (by far) bicycle company, and we are told that the thing has been engineered with CFD analysis and all the works--but yet there is no white paper, no aero data, and not even a fit guide or coordinates to the pad to facilitate sizing...I am spending $7200 and I can't figure out what size I need without backing into the pad stack and reach I can hit using the world's worst superbike front end (edit: Giant has just recently added the pad coordinates, but it wasn't there for launch). Hell, even Diamondback got most of these pieces right, and they sell product at Dick's. Ventum seems downright analytical in comparison.

In general, it continues to piss me off that some arrogant asshole living in the suburbs of Denver can product high end bicycle components that not only blow the doors off the products delivered by the largest companies in the industry, but further that we as customers are forced to line his pockets because of everyone else's failure. Except that Giant managed to produce a product so shitty that I can't even make it work properly with Tririg's obscenely overpriced parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
jstoveld wrote:

Since you asked...I'll start with the front end and work my way back.

1) The front brake: horrible. Why bicycle manufacturers continue to use that TRP trash is beyond me. Just put the damn thing in front of the fork. We've already seen from the latest ERO data that the Omega X in front of the IAx fork is faster than no brake at all. Think about that, and then try to tell me I should have that awful thing behind the fork.

2) The BTA aero bottle: shit. The thing doesn't stay on the bike. Since it doesn't stay on the bike, you can just go with another BTA setup, right? Wrong. The way that dumb, unpolished curved stem sticks its neck up into the extension area makes it impossible to configure a bottle properly if you run a low stack. Could they have added two properly spaced M4 threads so that I can just use my own cage in between the extensions? Of course they could have, but they are exceptionally stupid, so they didn't.

3) The cable routing: awful. Even with electrical tape and heat shrink enforcement, the act of steering the front end is tearing up e-tube cables. (Of course, if you're some type of peasant and don't use electronic shifting, this isn't an issue for you -- though you have larger issues).

4) The rest of the front end also sucks. If I haven't mentioned it, it's still terrible. The stock extensions, the pads, the shitty exposed bolts...it's all a failure.

5) The bento box: useless. The thing doesn't have the capacity to hold two gus, it's so small. It does a fairly good job of hiding the 5 port junction, but it doesn't matter because I can't shift since the front end already chewed through all my e tubes. If you can't figure out how to do this right, just put some M4 threads on the top tube!

6) The aero frame bottle: abysmal. What's the problem? You guessed it: the thing doesn't stay on the bike.

I'm getting tired...but I also hate the rear brake and pretty much everything else. The color schemes on the men's models are all awful, except the black one, which is of course the UCI legal model. The Liv color schemes are quite attractive, but of course nothing is truly becoming on such a shitty bike.

So this is a triathlon bike in the works for years from the world's largest (by far) bicycle company, and we are told that the thing has been engineered with CFD analysis and all the works--but yet there is no white paper, no aero data, and not even a fit guide or coordinates to the pad to facilitate sizing...I am spending $7200 and I can't figure out what size I need without backing into the pad stack and reach I can hit using the world's worst superbike front end (edit: Giant has just recently added the pad coordinates, but it wasn't there for launch). Hell, even Diamondback got most of these pieces right, and they sell product at Dick's. Ventum seems downright analytical in comparison.

In general, it continues to piss me off that some arrogant asshole living in the suburbs of Denver can product high end bicycle components that not only blow the doors off the products delivered by the largest companies in the industry, but further that we as customers are forced to line his pockets because of everyone else's failure. Except that Giant managed to produce a product so shitty that I can't even make it work properly with Tririg's obscenely overpriced parts.

And after all of this do you feel better?

What bike do you suggest for a 4000~ price point?
Does it cover all of these issues?

Just to debunk a little of what you say -
Water bottle noted - fixed with a ziptie. Fiance uses it on her LIV avow just fine.

Aero is king - perhaps you have a point on the brake. Though as you mentioned several manufacturers do this same things with the behind the fork (BTF) brakes. I would say that a "ton" of bikes are "shit" by your standard. Though would you rather the P2/P3 with it being totally exposed? Why? Why not?

Your measurements on the Bento may be off - Fiance uses 2-3 for Halves. Unless she is a warlock. She might be a warlock though.

I was a big fan of the 7.5 and its all enclosed cockpit - but maybe thats just me.
I hate the p2/3 and the way that is set up. Hers looks fine - but maybe a difference between the Liv and the Mens. Im not an expert.

The cabling? Well I pay a mechanic to do that for me. And they do a fine job and have been getting a lot of orders on these lately. But that is just my bias - one shop by me.

The end of the day. We both have our opinions.
You did bring some facts to the table and thats good.
I still think its a viable bike for the pricepoint that was brought up.

We can agree to disagree - and be Tri friend from here. Deal?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6019969#p6019969

And yes, I'll be your tri friend if you don't do away with one of the best TT bikes on the market for one of the worst, simply because you don't know how to purchase large fans and drape a towel over your bike on the trainer. That is a ridiculously dumb reason to eschew a Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6019969#p6019969

And yes, I'll be your tri friend if you don't do away with one of the best TT bikes on the market for one of the worst, simply because you don't know how to purchase large fans and drape a towel over your bike on the trainer. That is a ridiculously dumb reason to eschew a Speed Concept.

HAHAHA!
Maybe post in that thread for the rest of this.

Seriously - I sweat so much they will write hymns of the river of salt that flows in my pain cave.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
jsmith wrote:

Trek Speed Concept 7.5
Felt IA 14

The others do not even belong in the same conversation. I think the edge goes to the IA for ease of travel / maintenance, substitution potential for components, and paint job. Of course, I can't understand why you would go with mechanical if you had $4k to spend on a new bike. Just by the IAx frameset ($2500), add Ultegra di2 w/ base bar shifters ($1000), a fast after market front end ($200), and an Omega X brakeset ($300). Done.

And with a shop discount - you might even get to buy a new aero helmet too :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a SC 7.5 for 6 months now. Absolutely love it. Best bike I've ever had. Really fast... It is not difficult to pack/unpack for travel (did it first time 1wk ago, 0 problems, never used a bike tool before).

You don't have the project one on this model, only on 9 series. Anyway there are lots of people who can custom paint it for you.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the 2016 Ceepo Viper and have been very happy with it. It can be had right now for around $2,400 from drivetrainsports for the frameset which makes it competitively priced. I went with the Viper due to the fact I could go with any cockpit (thus could get into my fit), easy to break down, uses regular brakes, integrated storage, and its a little different. I am not sure how it compares in the wind tunnel compared to some of the others but we all know fit has the greatest impact on that anyway.

My wife rides a 16 speed concept and loves it. It is an amazing bike with a wide fit range as well. The only downside to it is it is not the easiest to work on (I usually need a 6-pack of beer to work on it).

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply

Prev Next