Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week?
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Kona this year and am considering staying up in Waikoloa race week. In the past, I have stayed about 5 miles south on Ali'i, but we are doing things a little differently this year and the whole family is coming for a vacation during race week and I would like my kids (11 year olds) to have more of a resort setting and experience than the Ali'i condo experience affords.

My question is, how big of a pain is it to stay up north during the week and come down for daily swims at the pier, etc? It seems easier to get some training rides in on the Queen K from the Waikoloa location versus south of town, but I try to swim a few times before the race.

Is this a logistics nightmare or something people commonly do and enjoy? Also, can people get back and forth to Waikoloa on race day or are they stuck up there with no access to town? Also, if you have stayed in Waikoloa and it worked out, can you recommend any condo locations? Prefer a condo over a hotel.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is that bad . . . I have had friends and relatives stay up they during race week and they liked it.

For what it is worth, we always AVOID resort type settings with our kids (who have been there at the same age as yours) and they loved the close in experience around Ali'i etc. But, we're really not resort type people.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother raced Kona for the first time in 2014. We stayed 20min North in Hapuna Beach area. While Waikoloa is closer, we did find it frustrating having to travel such long distances for simple things such as groceries and or dinner. Plus, anything between those two are pretty expensive bc it is well known that there are minimal economic stores. It's not until you get back to Kona.

Race morning is about what you would expect with closures and can be a pain getting around after the race. We drove in early to make sure we could get into the pier before roads closed. Everyone driving in was also going to the race. Our experience is once you get down to the pier and host hotel, you are stuck there and should prepare to spend the day there. We did not leave to go back to the condo until after midnight finisher.

Either way, logistics is challenging, but much like many other IM races.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get what you're saying, but my kids have been to many Ironmans and are probably more into snorkeling and the beach than cruising the Expo and hanging at Lava Java.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotcha . . . my kids have been to more than a few IM races themselves :-). They have never been to Lava Java although they do like the expo for at least one afternoon. We have always rented houses close in. PLENTY of snorkeling, etc right out the back door. I don't know how many people you have or what your budget is, but we like staying in Kona Bay Estates. Isolated yet within walking distance to the start. Plenty of water activities right out the back door + the old airport park and everything right there . . . pretty hard to beat. We have also stayed down by the Sheraton (old Kona Surf - T2 used to be in that parking lot) - it is seven miles out but still lots of family activities and convenience right there.

As I said, I have had family stay in Waikoloa, and certainly you have the reality of that drive, but they liked it and it wasn't the biggest problem.

I suppose I'm just logistically spoiled :-)!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All i think about while reading this is that I'll probably never race Kona. F u bastards... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience has been the same as David's. My kids have been to many IM's and generally can take it or leave it. We stayed on Ali'i twice and they loved yet. Plenty of non-IM things to do from snorkeling, surfing, beach time, etc. At the end of my our trip my first time we went out to a resort for one day and all of us were like "blah." Then again, like David, we're not resort people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've done this in the past. If it's not your first time racing and you're over the hype of the being downtown, then it's a far better option especially because you're bringing family. Getting back and forth is not that bad as long as you plan in advance. In other words if you are going for a swim, try to get everything done that you need to in town just after the swim. Personally speaking I think it's a wise move to be out that way, away from the madness. A lot of the pros that I work with do this and move closer to town two or three nights before the race. As you said, you're kids don't care much about the expo or Lava Java (which is moving by the way, just a few doors down from what I heard), so they can enjoy the more resort like area in Waikoloa. The riding and running is fine up that way too.

As for race day. I've only gone the opposite way on race day, so I envision it's possible going into town if you park a car on the opposite side of Queen K. If they leave during the heat of the bike portion, they let cars out of Waikoloa Beach Rd. across to Waikoloa Rd. but very very slowly. So if the person driving back and forth parks their car on the opposite side of Queen K on Waikoloa Rd. (near heli pad) they can take that road up to Mamalahoa Rd. (Rt 190) and then down to where Palani meets Queen K. Once most bikes are off the course they should let cars cross much more quickly. It takes a fair bit longer than taking Queen K directly but it's not too bad.

I work with some of the pros so when not racing I am in Kona for business. in some years past, we've watched the swim and the lead athletes go through the hot corner then driven out to Waikoloa to see them bike out and then back in. Once we've seen the first 10 or so males go back into town we've driven back and was able to see them run up Palani onto Queen K so you don't miss much.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic... looking for a Kona cassette recommendation. 11-23 or 11-28?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
Slightly off topic... looking for a Kona cassette recommendation. 11-23 or 11-28?

I ride 11-28, but I'm not the strongest cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 When I was younger I had an 11–23, I now have an 11–25. That is to ride between that is to ride between 520 and 530. 520 and 530

David
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [znerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
znerd wrote:
All i think about while reading this is that I'll probably never race Kona. F u bastards... ;)

Yes! In fairness, I've never raced an IM, but I can guess. Maybe in 22 years when I'm in M60-64 I'll give it a crack. Just try not to slow down until then...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JMO, I've never been to Kona during IM week but if I were to go during race week I would want to stay fairly close to town. The traffic isn't hectic, it's just slow to us main landers. Strictly from a holiday POV Waikoloa is an awesome choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed there last year first time in 6 times to Kona. Loved it. Yes it is kinda pain driving back and forth. But it felt more like a vacation than a race. Easy eating, close to beaches great bike shop. You are half between Kona and hawi. Rode to Kona one day then rode Hawi next day. But here is the problem . If anyone is going down to watch you race they will be there all day and most the nite the queen k is closed. It was very hot last year my wife and the girls had a hard day waiting for me to come in. I am staying at the king k next time just for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Waimea here on the Big Island, and would say staying in Waikoloa would be a great choice - you can choose to be a part of the circus on Ali'i, but more importantly you can get out of the fray when you like. From the Village it's about 30-40min drive to the pier...just don't try to drive that way from 3:30-5p as traffic is horrendous going into town. They're widening the highway to accommodate this now, but it won't be done by October I'm guessing. Nearby and alternate swim sites like Hapuna and Anaehoomalu (A-Bay) are awesome, as is the swim from the Mauna Kea hotel beach to Hapuna and return (approx 2 miles). You can certainly ride both sections of the course from the Hilton/Mauna Lani areas as well. There are grocery stores in the Queen's shops around the Hilton property, in the Mauna Lani property, and in Waikoloa Village. Bike Works in the Queen's shops can help tune things up, and will be infinitely less crowded than it's sister shop in Kona.

On race day just take the upper highway all the way into Kona and park either around Wal-Mart or the Lanihau center (Long's, bowling alley), it's a short walk (10mins) from each location to the finish/hot corner. We've done this many times with zero issues at various times throughout the day. Most locals know to stay off the roads on race day, so traffic on that upper highway isn't normally an issue at all. You can come/go as you please throughout the day if you take this route, no need for family to be stuck on Ali'i all day.

We're always so stoked when the circus comes to town in October! Hope you have a great time while you're here, and if there's anything I can help with please don't hesitate to ask.
Last edited by: 808nation: Jul 26, 16 23:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did exactly this and stayed at Waikoloa. We have young kids so it was a far better option and if I go back to Kona I will definitely do the same again. I ended up driving in to Kona every 2nd morning around 6-6:30am to swim (from memory only a 30min drive) and found it great. Had a swim, grabbed a coffee, soaked up the atmosphere and was back in Waikoloa around 8:30am.

We stayed at Kings Land Hilton Condo's which were fantastic. Kids loved it as it had about 7 pool, water slides etc. and I appreciated the extra space, kitchen etc with a Condo as opposed to a hotel room. I thought they were reasonably priced with the added bonus you could use all facilities at the Hilton Village Resort (which is 2km away) if you wanted.

Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [808nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much! This was helpful. Nice to hear not all of the locals hate us. ( ;
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Kona, staying in Waikoloa race week? [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
We've done this in the past. If it's not your first time racing and you're over the hype of the being downtown, then it's a far better option especially because you're bringing family. Getting back and forth is not that bad as long as you plan in advance. In other words if you are going for a swim, try to get everything done that you need to in town just after the swim. Personally speaking I think it's a wise move to be out that way, away from the madness. A lot of the pros that I work with do this and move closer to town two or three nights before the race. As you said, you're kids don't care much about the expo or Lava Java (which is moving by the way, just a few doors down from what I heard), so they can enjoy the more resort like area in Waikoloa. The riding and running is fine up that way too.

As for race day. I've only gone the opposite way on race day, so I envision it's possible going into town if you park a car on the opposite side of Queen K. If they leave during the heat of the bike portion, they let cars out of Waikoloa Beach Rd. across to Waikoloa Rd. but very very slowly. So if the person driving back and forth parks their car on the opposite side of Queen K on Waikoloa Rd. (near heli pad) they can take that road up to Mamalahoa Rd. (Rt 190) and then down to where Palani meets Queen K. Once most bikes are off the course they should let cars cross much more quickly. It takes a fair bit longer than taking Queen K directly but it's not too bad.

I work with some of the pros so when not racing I am in Kona for business. in some years past, we've watched the swim and the lead athletes go through the hot corner then driven out to Waikoloa to see them bike out and then back in. Once we've seen the first 10 or so males go back into town we've driven back and was able to see them run up Palani onto Queen K so you don't miss much.

Thanks for the suggestion to park on the opposite side of the Queen K - smart! Definitely leaning towards this option since it's more of a vacation atmosphere and, frankly, the rental options are a bit nicer than what I've experienced closer to town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jenschaf wrote:
Thank you so much! This was helpful. Nice to hear not all of the locals hate us. ( ;

Most of us locals love the event and the amazing athletes. I watched a couple back in 88 and 89 before it got super crazy with people.

As for staying in Waikoloa and swimming, why not get your swim workouts in at A bay or Hapuna? Same ocean. ;-)

There's a decent grocery store in Waikoloa village and one at the Queens market place. Both may be a little more expensive than KK but you don't have to drive at all or nearly as far.

Have fun.
Quote Reply