Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: overestimated FTP - now burnt out [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondering if the bike legs in american triathlons for oly distance are really flat, as there seem to be lots of people on here going 60 or faster.
Quote Reply
Re: overestimated FTP - now burnt out [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
Hahah this is exactly why I didn't post my numbers in my op and only did once I figured that specific examples were more useful.

Doesn't matter anyways, the point of the thread was that my ftp was LOWER than I thought :)

Appreciate the replies nonetheless. Some good advice buried in here.

With both biking and swimming being non weight bearing, I have found it is really hard to get burnt to the extent that you can't easily bounce back in 1-3 weeks of more rest (lots of sleep) mixed in with some intensity to sharpen up from the valley of overtraining. Running is another story due to the pounding/non weight bearing. I've seen some of our athletes taking months to get back on track, not days or weeks.

Since you feel you overcooked the biking intensity/workload a bit, I think this FTP "low reading' may just be a blessing in disguise. Just back it off, put the powermeter away, sleep 60 hours per week and just ride easy on feel, and if you feel good ride hard but without the power meter so you don't end up chasing the number....your body/perceived exertion is an excellent self regulator when coming out of the valley of overtraining, whereas seeing numbers of screen will likely drive you to push harder when you're not ready. At least if you are like most of us, if there is a number on the screen, you'll be tempted to test your self and race the numbers. Better to put all electronics away.
Quote Reply
Re: overestimated FTP - now burnt out [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^Great point about the running vs cycling burnout. When I ran track in college, by the 4th year, im convinced that I was so roasted that it took me a year post-graduation to feel completely normal again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next