Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say he's warning our NATO allies that they need to start stepping up and pulling some weight (paying what they owe us?) or we might have to let them go.

And I'd say Trump doesn't really know what he is talking about.

NATO guidelines (which the U.S established and agreed to) was that all 28 members pay fees based on their Gross National Income. The U.S share is 22% because they have the largest economy. The relative contribution of the other 27 countries are the same.

There could be an argument because all members agreed to spend 2% of their Gross Domestic product on defense and only 4 other countries do that. The U.S spends the most (3.7%) but that is because they are a world power and spend money all over the world. You can't really compare that with the defense requirements of countries like Luxembourg.

As for his comment about "letting them go", it's no wonder Putin and he have a budding bromance.

Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
I may not be a Trump fan but to twist what he said into a leftist agenda in which Trump is seen as supporting Putin is funny. What Trump said is something most American's agree with. Pay your shares or risk not being protected.

IHOP wrote:
Quote:
Asked about Russia’s threatening activities, which have unnerved the small Baltic States that are among the more recent entrants into NATO, Mr. Trump said that if Russia attacked them, he would decide whether to come to their aid only after reviewing if those nations have “fulfilled their obligations to us.”

http://www.nytimes.com/...ump-issues.html?_r=0

I suppose it does leave some room for interpretation. But it leaves room for interpretation for Putin as well.

I'm not viewing this particular article as Trump supporting Putin, although he has made statements elsewhere where he does support him as a leader. This particular article I view as Trump wanting to renege on an alliance because he views it as unfavorable for the US.
Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of a nonsensical reply. Duffy asked you specifically about her actual performance vis-a-vis Russia while she served as the chief foreign policy officer of the US. Your response is that he shouldn't judge her foreign policy plans on what she says at the convention?

Huh?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
That's kind of a nonsensical reply. Duffy asked you specifically about her actual performance vis-a-vis Russia while she served as the chief foreign policy officer of the US. Your response is that he shouldn't judge her foreign policy plans on what she says at the convention?

Huh?

No. Follow the dialogue back. He said she doesn't want to improve relations with Russia at all. I told him that you can't judge what she wants or will do from her speeches during the convention. He said he didn't have anything else to go on. Hence my answer.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said he didn't have anything else to go on. Hence my answer.

That's old news, man. He specifically brought up her performance as SoS twice since then- in response, by the way, to your statement that we can judge her from her track record.

So what say? Does she have a good track record with Russia, in your estimation?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

That's old news, man. He specifically brought up her performance as SoS twice since then- in response, by the way, to your statement that we can judge her from her track record.

Does anyone in the West have a good track record with Russia since Putin has been in power?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arguable, I guess, but "Yeah, I failed but so has everyone else who's tried so far," is less of an argument for Hilary than a reason to give someone else a try.

Can't have it both ways, though. Either we judge her on her track record, or we listen to what she says she's going to do differently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not defending Hillary so much as I am pointing out that Putin is a giant asshole and regardless of who you send they will likely fail miserably.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Arguable, I guess, but "Yeah, I failed but so has everyone else who's tried so far," is less of an argument for Hilary than a reason to give someone else a try.

Can't have it both ways, though. Either we judge her on her track record, or we listen to what she says she's going to do differently.

What's the track record of what Trump has said or done? He is all over the place. He hasn't been in a position of government authority, but in his personal history, he's all over the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Are you saying that Clinton did a good job as SoS re: Russia?

I'm saying that you have more to go on than just what she says at the DNC or in this campaign, when trying to figure out what her likely foreign policy ideas will be for dealing with Russia. People who tune in once every four years and think the campaign speeches represent what a candidate will actually do, or even wants to do, once in office, are pretty poorly informed.

Sort of like saying Trump would abandon our NATO allies?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There you go, defending Trumpler again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Does anyone in the West have a good track record with Russia since Putin has been in power?

George W. Bush.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
I may not be a Trump fan but to twist what he said into a leftist agenda in which Trump is seen as supporting Putin is funny. What Trump said is something most American's agree with. Pay your shares or risk not being protected.

IHOP wrote:
Quote:
Asked about Russia’s threatening activities, which have unnerved the small Baltic States that are among the more recent entrants into NATO, Mr. Trump said that if Russia attacked them, he would decide whether to come to their aid only after reviewing if those nations have “fulfilled their obligations to us.”

http://www.nytimes.com/...ump-issues.html?_r=0

I suppose it does leave some room for interpretation. But it leaves room for interpretation for Putin as well.

I'm not viewing this particular article as Trump supporting Putin, although he has made statements elsewhere where he does support him as a leader. This particular article I view as Trump wanting to renege on an alliance because he views it as unfavorable for the US.

Well, according to slowguy we shouldn't pay much attention to what he says while campaigning.

I guess we're just suppose to pre-pick our "guy" and just disregard anything they say that we might disagree with.

It's one of the reasons Obama was popular in '08. He didn't say jack shit and everyone just projected their own desires onto his blank slate.

He was like a horoscope.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
There you go, defending Trumpler again.[/quote

Yup. That's because I'm racist and hate women.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George W. Bush

Well, not exactly. I know Bush looked into his soul and saw a good man but...

In 2008, while Bush was President, the Russians rolled into Georgia. The Bush administration ruled out military options and applied sanctions. Those sanctions barely caused a ripple in Moscow. Not really standing up to Putin...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 26, 16 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No argument there. Choice seems to be between a failure and someone with no track record but who's erratic, to put it mildly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Well, in typical LR fashion, I guess when someone can't resolve their initial statement, we just move to something else.

I think her record on Russia is mixed. She was fairly tough with them, but she helped brokered a couple of deals including sanctions on Iran and N. Korea, as well as START. She also got them to grant us access to their territory to get stuff in and out of Afghanistan. She's been tough specifically on Putin and Russian electoral processes.

She will have to overcome some of the things she's said about Putin to establish a President-President relationship with him for whatever time he has remaining in office, but politicians do that sort of thing routinely.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Are you saying that Clinton did a good job as SoS re: Russia?

I'm saying that you have more to go on than just what she says at the DNC or in this campaign, when trying to figure out what her likely foreign policy ideas will be for dealing with Russia. People who tune in once every four years and think the campaign speeches represent what a candidate will actually do, or even wants to do, once in office, are pretty poorly informed.

Sort of like saying Trump would abandon our NATO allies?

Yes, very much like that. The difference, for better or worse, seems to be that Sec Clinton knows what she's talking about and is constructing the narrative she thinks will get her elected, whereas Trump doesn't have a clue, so he's just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. His rhetoric just betrays a complete lack of sophistication or knowledge on the subjects he's addressing.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Well, according to slowguy we shouldn't pay much attention to what he says while campaigning.

Actually genius, according to slowguy, you have more to go on to form your opinion than just what they say during elections season, and you're a fucking idiot if you rely solely on their campaign speeches and promises, because we all know they make promises they don't intend to keep, can't keep, or that are only made to win votes in a particular demographic.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Actually genius, according to slowguy, you have more to go on to form your opinion than just what they say during elections season, and you're a fucking idiot if you rely solely on their campaign speeches and promises, because we all know they make promises they don't intend to keep, can't keep, or that are only made to win votes in a particular demographic.

Not only do I disbelieve what they say while campaigning, I also disbelieve what they say while in office, I disbelieve what we are told they did while in office and rarely even accept the premise that is laid out for our consumption.

Hell, I don't even believe the premise of this thread (Putin wants Trump (I'm not even convinced the russians are behind the hack)).

Our whole system is full of liars. From POTUS to dog catcher, integrity is the exception.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well, in typical LR fashion, I guess when someone can't resolve their initial statement, we just move to something else.

What do you need, an explicitly worded statement from Duffy that we do have something to judge Clinton on other than her campaign words?

I think it was implied, and safe to move on.

I think her record on Russia is mixed.

Fair enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What do you need, an explicitly worded statement from Duffy that we do have something to judge Clinton on other than her campaign words?

I think it was implied, and safe to move on.

Well since all he had given was an explicitly worded statement that he didn't have anything else, I thought it was worth wrapping that up instead of moving the goalposts quite that quickly. Pardon me for preferring to discuss instead of just jumping from tangent to tangent when someone doesn't like the answer given.

Especially in this day and age (take a look at Maurice's thread about stupid voters) people feel free to just toss out bullshit like that, expecting it will go unchallenged. That's part of how the American public has gotten so fucking stupid.

Slowguy

Last edited by: slowguy: Jul 26, 16 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: No thread on the Russians backing Trump? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone has to protect all that delicious syrup in Canada.
Quote Reply

Prev Next