Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Just a question, why should a super bike be anymore 'fickle' (component wise) than a more basic bike with the same or lesser components ? Does the engineering get worse the more you pay ... ?

WD :-)

I'll give you one example....the rear brake which is typically hidden and harder to service on "superbikes"....at least it is on my P4. I'm always fiddling with it as it has little clearance but when it's adjusted right it works fine....I don't mind it to get the more advanced engineering as opposed to the typical rear brake set up on a "more basic bike". Engineering not "worse"....just more complicated. To the OP, good luck with the claim....but I'd invest a little more time and money if needed. The bike has a great reputation and you will probably take a pretty good hit if you elect to sell. Again, good luck.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jul 27, 16 21:01
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that, but that's not one of the OP's issues.

When you look at his complaints, (to me) it looks way more like a sh1t setup from the bike shop ... :-( (warped chainring excluded)

Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [Loughnessmnstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something definitely doesn't sound right from an assembly perspective. I've taken apart the front end multiple times at this point and haven't had any issues. It sounds like maybe they are on the low end of the torque range and it's just not tight enough. That said I don't use a torque wrench, so I probabaly tighten a bit more than I need to but i also haven't had any issues before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loughnessmnstr wrote:

Listen I apology to those who seem to be offended by me calling out the brand and model of the bike. I did not want to such, but folks were saying I can’t be assisted if I didn’t.

There is a reason why I bought that specific brand and bike. However, the second I mention all the details of the bike the finger pointing comes out of the wood work saying I don’t know how to ride a bike and it can only be my fault etc… or it’s from me moving so much and moving the bike. I never once dissembled or let alone tampered with the bike while moving. I am super fragile with the bike just taking it into a shop I get nervous, let alone moving to another area. I’ve owned other bikes and never once had any issues like this.

Maybe me saying id want a refund on the bike was harsh, but it’s extremely frustrating to keep dealing with this. I am not at the skill level of a pro triathlete but I do know how to ride and how to properly shift gears on a tri bike. All the LBS that worked on the bike were certified to do such, and in fact one of the shops is arguably one of the best in the world. I think I would be satisfied if I got a new 3T Aduro setup replaced, completely different crank and components. The frame itself has not been an issue but the other two items have been from the day I got it.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that you "don't know how to ride a bike" or "it can only be your fault." In my experience quite a lot of athletes don't actually know some of those things I mentioned, which can legitimately cause issues when it comes to shifting and/or maintenance. It is therefore important to always mention them, especially when doing internet diagnostics of bike problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done my fair share of negotiations with local stores and major brands in life. And I have had decent success. You are more than three years from when you bought the bike, so that is a tough disadvantage. If I were in your shoes, I would work directly with both the LBS and Cervelo. I would call Cervelo and get someone on the phone that is above their tier 1 (unless the tier 1 person offers to help right away). Then, let them know that the bike is in the LBS and you are also working with the LBS.

Get all of your history and failure details in order so that you can email it to Cervelo while on the phone.

My gut feel is that they would offer more part replacements, rather than buying back the bike after 3 years. Your sale transaction was with a bike shop long ago, and it might be tough for the current LBS and Cervelo to do the financial transaction. (If I am the current LBS owner, I would be reticent to cut someone a check for $10K unless I had the money in hand from Cervelo or great assurances.)

The one wild card is the phantom shifting. The only time I have seen that on a bike is when the bottom bracket had major flex and the cables moved around. If the P5 is doing that, then it could be a faulty frame. Or, it could just be a bad cable, bad RD, or a bad shifter that is slipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
WD Pro wrote:
Just a question, why should a super bike be anymore 'fickle' (component wise) than a more basic bike with the same or lesser components ? Does the engineering get worse the more you pay ... ?

I'll give you one example....the rear brake which is typically hidden and harder to service on "superbikes"....at least it is on my P4. I'm always fiddling with it as it has little clearance but when it's adjusted right it works fine....I don't mind it to get the more advanced engineering as opposed to the typical rear brake set up on a "more basic bike". Engineering not "worse"....just more complicated. To the OP, good luck with the claim....but I'd invest a little more time and money if needed. The bike has a great reputation and you will probably take a pretty good hit if you elect to sell. Again, good luck.

What type of aero bars and brake levers do you have? I think a lot of my problem is you can't get much pull on the Vision lever. It may be super aero but it's poorly designed for functionality. I don't have the rear brake super tight because I run a fairly large 25cm tire on the rear, change back and forth weekly as the bike spends time on a trainer with a dedicated back wheel, and it's hard to get the larger tires in and out with a tight setting. Do you run a 23 on the rear?

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [jsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsquared wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

What type of aero bars and brake levers do you have? I think a lot of my problem is you can't get much pull on the Vision lever. It may be super aero but it's poorly designed for functionality. I don't have the rear brake super tight because I run a fairly large 25cm tire on the rear, change back and forth weekly as the bike spends time on a trainer with a dedicated back wheel, and it's hard to get the larger tires in and out with a tight setting. Do you run a 23 on the rear?

I have the rear brake set wide open as possible...and the clearance is still minimal. Just switched from running a Zipp 900 disc/404 combo to a set of Enve 8.9s which give me slightly more clearance. Would need to deflate the tire to get on with the Zipp....no need now with the Enve. Have had rubbing issues in past and still prefer to shave down pads slightly....both sets of wheels provide minimal clearance. Run Conti 4000s II 23mm on both wheels. Bike has the original 3t Aura Pro base bar and original levers. Others seem to make an issue about the bike's rear braking but I've never been that concerned....using both front and back properly provides adequate braking.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Force should generally not be applied WHILE shifting. Soft pedaling (i.e. turning the pedals, but not applying force) is the key to good shifting performance and long lasting drivetrain consumables.

Except people shift at 1000+ watts while sprinting all the time.

Shifting the front, sure, soft pedaling for half a second doesn't hurt , but certainly not while shifting around the rear cluster. You should be able to shift the rear mech under any type of load.
Last edited by: rubik: Jul 28, 16 17:44
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Force should generally not be applied WHILE shifting. Soft pedaling (i.e. turning the pedals, but not applying force) is the key to good shifting performance and long lasting drivetrain consumables.

Shifting the front, sure, soft pedaling for half a second doesn't hurt , but certainly not while shifting around the rear cluster. You should be able to shift the rear mech under any type of load.

Sure, a properly set up system should shift well under most conditions. Doesn't mean it always should be shifted in that way, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
rubik wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Sure, a properly set up system should shift well under most conditions. Doesn't mean it always should be shifted in that way, however.

Seriously? That's pretty much mandatory for riding in any bike race or spirited group ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you're really reading what I'm writing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I don't think you're really reading what I'm writing.

I'm only reading what you're writing.

I don't think you're thinking through how most shifting is typically done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I can't afford a superbike I was really hoping that "shifting between dimensions" storyline would play out.
Quote Reply
Re: Superbike Lemon...such a thing? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your insight. I took your advice and called Cervelo and they are looking into, they seemed understanding....I also got a call back from the LBS who looked at my bike and said that a smaller person would have very minimal issues with my specific components and setup on my bike, but I'm 6ft 2in around 175-185lbs and he can see why I continuous am having issues and that they can fix or replace the same components but the issues will keep coming back. He said that I should of never been on the parts and he did not understand why the the place I bought it from reccommended such. He feels I should be on shimano di2 components. Anyways, long story short, Cervelo are going to talk to the LBS where the bike is now and give me a call back to try to work something out. Ive documented everything with timelines, description of issues and tried to track down all maintenance records (however most of shops only keep invoices for so long before they delete). If anyone cares I will keep updating this post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry its been awhile without updating what went down. They rewired the bike and fine tuned some things and it seems as if the issue has disappeared. They put different bolts in the aerobars to lock them down and so far after a month or so no issues at all. Glad that the issue seemed to be fixed. From what Cervelo and LBS are saying, it was an original poor bike build by the LBS I bought it from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news. Sucks that you lost out on some great years of service. May the miles rush behind you now...
Quote Reply

Prev Next