Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long term risks of cortisone injections?
Quote | Reply
Who has experience with getting cortisone injections, specifically in the knee? I'm contemplating getting one so I can resume training for Ironman Chattanooga this fall but understand there could be long term risks. I've never had one before and no history of knee trouble before. MRI showed swelling and inflammation but no tearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Long term risks of cortisone injections? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
Who has experience with getting cortisone injections, specifically in the knee? I'm contemplating getting one so I can resume training for Ironman Chattanooga this fall but understand there could be long term risks. I've never had one before and no history of knee trouble before. MRI showed swelling and inflammation but no tearing.

I wouldn't touch one. If you are going for a world championship with huge money on the line and your training is pretty much done, then maybe, but otherwise why take a chance. Often times as athletes we just want to get better and get desperate. Find the route cause, and let it heal.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Long term risks of cortisone injections? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Thomas, I'm only 39 and want to be able to run for many year to come so I'm a little hesitant to risk long term effects for a quick fix. I'm leaning towards healing naturally and go for next year. On another note thanks for the tip on the $10 Crews glasses. I was having a really hard time finding glasses that I could see out of when tucked in aero until I read your blog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:

I had injections in both knees in June for pain caused by osteo-arthritis. So far, no real long term issues, other than my legs are breaking out with zits like a teenager's face (don't know if there is causation there, but there is definitely a correlation).

Quote | Reply
I had an injection about twelve years ago due to ITB swelling that just wouldn't go away. Still running strong with no issues. It was like manic for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had lots of friends with lots of knee problems. Don't get cortisone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
Thank you Thomas, I'm only 39 and want to be able to run for many year to come so I'm a little hesitant to risk long term effects for a quick fix. I'm leaning towards healing naturally and go for next year. On another note thanks for the tip on the $10 Crews glasses. I was having a really hard time finding glasses that I could see out of when tucked in aero until I read your blog.

You are more than welcome. I know how much you want Ironman Chattanooga but probably the right call. Regardless there is still lots of time. Heck I wasn't even injured yet last year at this point when I was training from IMMT. I wasn't able to complete IMMT because of a knee injury, but I ended up being back for Chatt. Focus on what you can do and NOT what you can't. You never know what is possible.

As for the glasses, I am glad you liked them!!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:

Not my knee, but I had one in my shoulder about 25 years ago with no ill effects, and my husband had one in his ankle about 17 years ago, again with no problems (and he never had another bit of trouble with that ankle). I thought it was repeated cortisone injections that would eventually cause problems, not just one.
Quote Reply
Re: Long term risks of cortisone injections? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends where you're getting the cortisone. If it's into a tendon, for example and you have repeated cortisone injections into that tendon, it can degenerate (I think). Whereas muscle, not so much. A competitive swimmer friend of mine has had 12 cortisone injections into one shoulder without any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Long term risks of cortisone injections? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
It depends where you're getting the cortisone. If it's into a tendon, for example and you have repeated cortisone injections into that tendon, it can degenerate (I think). Whereas muscle, not so much. A competitive swimmer friend of mine has had 12 cortisone injections into one shoulder without any issues.

My shoulder was dx as bursitis and as far as I can tell that shot went right into the joint. Definitely not muscle.
Quote Reply
Re: Long term risks of cortisone injections? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
zedzded wrote:

My shoulder was dx as bursitis and as far as I can tell that shot went right into the joint. Definitely not muscle.

He probably injected the cortisone into the bursa though didn't he?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all tend to get a bit focussed on training and racing. Most of us (outside say the top 5% overall) are just as committed as the pro's, but for no real reason.

If you're in the top 5% of finishers, then maybe get the injection. If you're outside the top 5% and aren't hoping for AG qualification for something, treat the injury as best you can, and consider not racing.

In my life, I'm guided by the principle that "In a hundred years, none of this shit will matter"

That said, as a past mediocre pro skier, I pushed the boundaries of my skill. I failed a LOT. At age 55, I'm now up to 40 broken bones and untold soft tissue injuries. Getting up from my desk and walking to the coffee machine elicits groans and ocassional profanities. Running all but induces tears these days. My 4km jog yesterday hurt more than the last 4km of my last IM! My knees, hips, ankles back and shoulders all protest, continuously. I am walking (well, limping actually) proof that pushing your body too far is NOT a great idea. But on the flip side, I've had a blast doing some truly spectacular and fun things so far, but I certainly have paid the price.

If you still wanna race, you can get the injection, but be fully aware that it may cost you in the long run. At the end of the day, it's just a race, and they have lotsa races every year. Maybe get healed first, then pick a race?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used cortisone for my occasional knee issues but I have used hyaluronic acid injections to help reduce swelling and get back to training faster. According to my doctor there are no long-term side effects to this acid. Might want to ask your doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 in the last 2 months. I will be having knee surgery later this year for a torn meniscus (18 months ago squatted down and it went) and other degenerative issues. I was against it for a while because of an incident had 17 years ago, but at the point I'm at I was (am) trying to salvage some sort of a 'race' season.

Earlier this year I was in so much pain I could barely walk, Only in the last 3 weeks have I been able to run more than 8-10 miles a week. After months of PT (has helped some) the first cortisone shot did nothing. The second shot 5 weeks later (larger amount injected) has helped a lot. I'm tapering off the PT, taking a pretty strong NSAID, and will likely get another injection in the next few weeks. My doctor (and 4 other doctors/PTs) I talked to said its not likely to damage my knee more than it is already. They all agreed that a couple shots wouldn't destroy a knee anyway. I'm planning on Ohio 70.3 in 4 weeks and maybe IMCHOO depending on how the knee holds up after Ohio. If I hadn't been dealing with the knee issues for 18 months and had been able to race the last couple years I might have decided to have the surgery last month, but since the cortisone seems to be helping I'm going to push it off until after the races I paid for last year.
Quote Reply