Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Put my mind at ease: 808 vs. 404 vs. regular front wheel for Norseman
Quote | Reply
I leave for Norseman in eight days and only have room to pack one front wheel. I generally use a wheel equivalent in depth to a Zipp 808 and that is what I'm planning on bringing. I could also borrow a Flo 60 from a friend (similar to 404), or bring my regular aluminium training wheel. (I'll have an 808 on the back with my Powertap.) Norseman obviously can be windy. I've been riding my 808 front with 808 rear all year and have been comfortable in the wind. (I'm 5'11", 162 lbs.)

If the winds are insane, is an 808 really that much harder to control than a 404 or shallow rim? I've never tried to do a controlled comparison so have no real way of making an informed judgment.
Quote Reply
Re: Put my mind at ease: 808 vs. 404 vs. regular front wheel for Norseman [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring the 808 I say. I find an 808 pretty ok to handle in hard crosswinds (should add I have 10-12 lbs's on you:)) also - The parts where you could have the most insane winds is not very technical.
Quote Reply
Re: Put my mind at ease: 808 vs. 404 vs. regular front wheel for Norseman [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest advantage for having the 808 is crosswinds...higher yaw. Bring it. You'll be fine.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Put my mind at ease: 808 vs. 404 vs. regular front wheel for Norseman [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
I leave for Norseman in eight days and only have room to pack one front wheel. I generally use a wheel equivalent in depth to a Zipp 808 and that is what I'm planning on bringing. I could also borrow a Flo 60 from a friend (similar to 404), or bring my regular aluminium training wheel. (I'll have an 808 on the back with my Powertap.) Norseman obviously can be windy. I've been riding my 808 front with 808 rear all year and have been comfortable in the wind. (I'm 5'11", 162 lbs.)

If the winds are insane, is an 808 really that much harder to control than a 404 or shallow rim? I've never tried to do a controlled comparison so have no real way of making an informed judgment.

I am going with a different answer. If you are already asking, you are already nervous. Pack the 404.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced it in 2014. Had some gnarly winds. 808 fine, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:

Take the wheel set you feel most comfortable with with you. Remember that you need good breaks also since the last downhill from Imingfjell has some nasty turns.
I was just in Norway and drove part of the bike course. If you have time, drive the course and make a mental map over where the surface is ok and where it sucks.

Have fun, you will love Norsman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the wheel set that you feel most comfortable with, not just considering wind. Take the wheels that climb well, handle well and brake well.

I raced there in 2014. The weather is brutally unpredictable, and the course is very tough. Comfort and confidence is going to get you through it.

Good luck and have fun. It is simply an amazing experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Put my mind at ease: 808 vs. 404 vs. regular front wheel for Norseman [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely bringing a front wheel with an aluminum brake track instead of an all carbon wheel. I think I'll bring the Flo 60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo 60 would be optimum IMHO with Alu brake track... prepare for the worst.

Did it in 2013 with v strong head winds and wet/foggy descents; used Hed60 and it was perfect.
Quote Reply