Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Positioning of Polar S520 HRM
Quote | Reply
I need some advice here. My new Tiphoon is set up with Profile Aerolite aerobars and I want to mount my Polar S520 HRM receiver in a place that will be visible for me to see but in a position that won't interfere with my aerodrink bottle set up. Any recommendations? Also, does anybody know if the display can be set up to show both cadence and speed at the same time?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Positioning of Polar S520 HRM [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... I have been successfull using the Profile Computer Mount (in conjunction with the bar mounting adaptor that Polar provides) when I ride my CT. However, I did not (wouldn't) use it to ride outdoors. It get's in the way of my normal range of gripping position and could easily fall off. However, it doesn't get in the way of my aero-bottle.

The best thing to do is to wear it on your wrist (but, you may have to boost the power with the jumper connections). That's the only way I was ever successful in using my wireless Polar. In fact, I gave up. Instead, I have found the Timex BodyLink system much better than the Polar (specially with regards to the the 510/520 models). The "red button" problem of the Polar s510 proved to be to big of a pain in erasing all the detail data on a regular basis.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help... but, I never did find a very good way to mount the Polar on the bike with the Profile aerobars you mentioned.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Positioning of Polar S520 HRM [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of cycling functions does the Timex Bodylink System offer? Is there a particular model?

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Positioning of Polar S520 HRM [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... It is a combination HRM and Speed, Distance wireless device. The only key thing it lacks (that Polar has) is cadence.

It's a modular based device that can be upgraded in part... that way you only need upgrade that part (Speed + Distance OR the HRM) you want. It doesn't build in obsolescence. But, it does build in the ability to upgrade (on a modular basis).

It's much more universal in it's use. The Speed and Distance (incl. pace, mph for example) can be used for both biking and running (as well as roller blading, rowing, etc). There are a few downsides to this 1-2 generation model. The GPS reciever is not waterproof and the reciever is a bit large. However, I believe I just saw where they upgrade the reciever to smaller and waterproof (not just resistent). Also, the HRM lacks a few nice things that the Polar has (like percent of Max HR, and Average HR)... but, I predict it to will be upgrade soon.

Do a google search for Timex BodyLink System... there is a whole bunch of information about the device. (IMHO) I predict this will eventually make most Polar wireless system less dominant. So, far it's accuracy has been uncanny. It seems more dependable also. But, one thing for sure, it's is less of a pain to use.

FWIW Joe Moya
Last edited by: Joe M: Dec 14, 03 22:26
Quote Reply