Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
Why do you hate the sedentary part of it? Consider it recovery. Get up and stretch every hour, walk 5 minutes.

Unless you lack the time to do a workout, then why add a "workout" while sitting at your desk?

Amen! I love sitting at work
Quote Reply
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [ia_triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ia_triguy wrote:
Standing desks apparently haven't really been studied enough in high quality studies to know whether they can actually change health outcomes

CPA here... A handful of my colleagues use standing desks. Another uses the ball chair. I'm mixed on it. I've not opted into the standing desk movement (it is really funny to see our tall accountants standing at their desks - one guy is 6'7").

During tax season my routine becomes very rigid. Wake up at 4:30, at my desk by 5:00. MWF go for 5-8 mile run at 8:30. Swim at 2:00. Go home at 7:00. Manage to bill 11-12 hours. TTH Wake up at 4:30, trainer 60-90 min, go to work. Stay until around 7:00. Bill 12 hours. Sat wake at 5:00, at work by 5:30. Firm breakfast at 8:00. Long ride at 11:00. Work until 4 or 5. Sun wake at 6:00, work until 11. Long run. If my brain still works, go back to work until 4 or 5. Repeat until April 15. When my husband's schedule allows, he joins me on runs or rides so I get to see him sometimes. :-)

When I'm not exercising, I am sitting very still at my desk with no movement. I don't even go to the copy machine (paperless). Outside of tax season I do whatever I want whenever I want as long as I keep up with my clients.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Yes, I'm an office monkey and I'm sure there are a few that will insert their comments that they broke out of that cage. That's not going to happen anytime soon, so I'm curious what others may do.

I sit at a desk, glued to a computer screen/phone for 9-10 hours a day. I don't hate my job, but I hate the part of being sedentary. I have the activity tracker on my Fenix (good for reminding me to get up and move) and do frequently take short walks around the office. I've been unsuccessful getting my employer to splurge on a standing desk, so I'm curious if anyone else in a similar position has had any creative solutions.

This item popped up on Amazon gold box deals and I'm considering giving it a try. Any thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/...XJ700073YRSWG34X6ACA

This stupid thread....I clicked on your link and now I have amazon ads on this stalking me around every facebook, nasdaq, velonews etc etc etc!!!

For the record, I have a standing desk at work and considering getting a Varia desk (or whatever it is called for home).
Quote Reply
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work on a small, college campus. When I started career 3.0, the location and amenities were a large driver. I am at my desk and in meetings a lot. The downside is that 90% of my meetings are in the conference room two doors down so when I get out, it isn't very far. I recently asked my secretary to start scheduling all my meetings that don't involve executive staff in the library because it is a nice walk from my office.

The other things I did was started a sustainability committee on campus. Our scope is to look at the flow of campus, energy efficiency and the like. As such, I walk around campus typically once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I follow the flow of students and ask myself, how or why they are going a certain way. The other day, I walked around campus to count the number of bike racks in use. It's all data and information to drive decisions. We do have a small gym on campus and I will occasionally lift during my lunch break. I have run before but I don't like to do that...it's a perception thing.

When I am in my office, I am slumped in my chair recovering.
Quote Reply
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, I have a standing desk at work and considering getting a Varia desk (or whatever it is called for home).

For the record, I did not get a standing desk for the home-office, for the activity level, but for my wonky/bad lower back. I found out after doing some daily activity tracking going back about two years ago, that my back issues and pain were less, on days when I spent more time moving around and on my feet (within reason), than sitting at a desk.

Since I am not really "training" anymore for anything, the goal for me is overall physical health and well-being. So for me that means a daily one hour walk with the dog at a reasonably vigorous pace, 2 - 5 rides on the bike, and a 3 - 4/week body-weight strength core session.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 months away from a PhD. I spend a fair amount of time sitting, but my office is on the 4th floor and I usually take the stairs; I am moving around while teaching; and I walk around campus a fair amount. I doubt I sit for more than an hour straight... and I fidget a lot. Does fidgeting count?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you that say you use a stability ball at work, Do you use just a ball or do you have it in one of those frames with wheels and a lumbar support? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in finance and have 60+ hour work weeks all at a desk in front of my laptop. I get up every hour or so and do a coffee run or go to the restroom. I actually like chilling at my desk and recovering.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: I work out hard, but sit at a desk all day...anyone else? [Belowe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Belowe wrote:
For those of you that say you use a stability ball at work, Do you use just a ball or do you have it in one of those frames with wheels and a lumbar support? Thanks
Just the ball.
Quote Reply

Prev Next