Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Painting a room with Popcorn Ceiling. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to just put another layer of drywall over the popcorn. Sure that will be messy too, but cheaper than asbestos abatement.

Has anyone here actually done this? This sounds like a great solution.

Re: Painting a room with Popcorn Ceiling. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm not sure how great of a solution it would be and I'm not sure it would be all that much easier then tearing down the old drywall and putting up new. Well unless you're only purpose of doing so was to cover up the asbestos.

Putting it up over the popcorn would require longer screws and putting the drywall up against a relatively uneven surface that was not solid. My guess would be that you would not get an even ceiling and that in the long term the new ceiling would end up loose, screw pops and cracks. It might be a good solution for asbestos covering but I would not even contemplate doing it if you're just trying to cover the popcorn, easier to pull the whole ceiling down and I would bet easier yet to scrape the old stuff off.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Painting a room with Popcorn Ceiling. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our house already has ceiling heat, therefore a 2-layer 'sandwich' of sheetrock with the heating coil wires in some sort of plaster-ish insulating paste between, and then the popcorn on the under surface of that... so if I were to apply another layer covering the popcorn, I'd end up with a ceiling 3 full layers thick (not counting the filling between the sheetrock as separate layers), or about 2" lower than it ought to be. Not to mention a YUGE pain in the ass trying to redo any light fixtures or such drilling through all that extra thickness of shit.

"They've done studies, ya know... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

I'm not sure how great of a solution it would be and I'm not sure it would be all that much easier then tearing down the old drywall and putting up new. Well unless you're only purpose of doing so was to cover up the asbestos.

Putting it up over the popcorn would require longer screws and putting the drywall up against a relatively uneven surface that was not solid. My guess would be that you would not get an even ceiling and that in the long term the new ceiling would end up loose, screw pops and cracks. It might be a good solution for asbestos covering but I would not even contemplate doing it if you're just trying to cover the popcorn, easier to pull the whole ceiling down and I would bet easier yet to scrape the old stuff off.

I have put drywall over popcorn ceiling in 5 rooms and a hallway. Perfectly flat and you don't have to deal with removal and disposal of the drywall you take down.
~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a room with Popcorn Ceiling. [Pett'rifier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have put drywall over popcorn ceiling in 5 rooms and a hallway. Perfectly flat and you don't have to deal with removal and disposal of the drywall you take down.

Just curious, how long have they been up? My concern would be that you're essentially putting the new boards up against a compressible surface. Over time the popcorn between walls will relax and the boards will become loose. Maybe there's enough surface area to prevent that.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

Just curious, how long have they been up? My concern would be that you're essentially putting the new boards up against a compressible surface. Over time the popcorn between walls will relax and the boards will become loose. Maybe there's enough surface area to prevent that.

~Matt

Living room and dining room were done 5 years ago. Still no sign of sagging. Drywall surface area compensates for any inconsistencies in the old ceiling. Use 2" drywall srews and the new dry wall will be held secure. I contracted the work to one of the best drywallers in the area and he had done this many times.
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a room with Popcorn Ceiling. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I'd better contact an architect to help me with house interior designs http://www.antonovich-design.ae/ or hire a qualified builder. Moreover, you will be sure that everything will be okay and you will have a modern and roomy house. ( and it wilI be cheaper and better) I tell you this from my own experience
Last edited by: emilyxP: Aug 23, 16 0:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next