Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone else use vinegar on their tires?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else use vinegar on their tires? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the dumbest thing I've read on Slowtwitch today.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else use vinegar on their tires? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else use vinegar on their tires? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the actual Challenge blog:

Quote:
“Vinegar.” I said again, patiently, “Vinegar.” I thought they are pulling some old Belgian joke, which would be fine, but I did not want to pass along the joke before I understood I alone bore the brunt of the joke. “Yes,” they said, “You must wipe the tires with vinegar, any cheap vinegar, to clean the sticky oils from the tread and “dry out” the surface of the natural rubbers.” I know that vinegar is an astringent that will dry oils from your skin so I let them continue. [..] OK, the mechanics and managers were all in on the joke but I needed one more check. That night at dinner I chose one of the younger Belgian riders who came from a cycling family and asked him the same questions. He said his father taught him the same story when he was 12. Vinegar.]

So this information doesn't come from "Challenge," but supposedly the Belgian men's cycling team mechanics... in contrast to the women's team that was complaining of lots of flats and presumably not using vinegar...

It also seems that given the skeptical tone of much of that story, that last paragraph that reads as a recommendation without context, reads (to me at least) like a pretty sarcastic / tongue-in-cheek comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Useful for cleaning the tire surface before short track events (ex. Kilo). Worthless for rides on roads.

You could use lots of household cleaners.

For triathlons, a bottle of vinegar is far more useful as a way to deal with wheelsuckers.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New tires pickup crap like crazy, so I try to clean them with a rag and whatever is handy. If nothing else your tires aren't throwing crap on a clean chain.

I don't think it is a magic solution to eliminate flats, but it probably helps avoid the odd one here and there. Nothing like gluing a piece of glass to your tire and seeing if it eventually works its way through the casing.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else use vinegar on their tires? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would I purposefully age/damage a tire?

Sure, if you wear tires out really fast (weeks), that 'treatment' may not be an issue, but to 'dry out" a tire and make it stiff and brittle only helps people who want to sell you more tires (or who want to see you actually getting more flats on brittle tires).

But, hey, tires are pretty cheap, so y'all go for it!
Don't forget to use some Snake-oil afterwards.

grumpier.mike wrote:
New tires pickup crap like crazy, so I try to clean them with a rag and whatever is handy. If nothing else your tires aren't throwing crap on a clean chain.

I don't think it is a magic solution to eliminate flats, but it probably helps avoid the odd one here and there. Nothing like gluing a piece of glass to your tire and seeing if it eventually works its way through the casing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard about this plenty times in the pro ranks, but as is with alot of things in the pro ranks, hard to seperate smart practice from superstition. Not sure where this falls ;) Maybe its also different between tubs and clinchers? Idk..

Edit: by pro ranks I mean cycling not tri, no idea what those guys do ;)
Last edited by: snaaijert: Jul 24, 16 0:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit ironic considering that Pierre Rolland crashed because of a slow puncture on stage 8, entailing injuries that ruined his GC ambitions, and then crashed again when his wheels slipped out on a damp road on stage 19, thereby ruining his chance of taking the stage win. Stage 19 he was even following Rui Costa's line, so either too much pressure in his tubs or the rubber was not grippy enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else use vinegar on their tires? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Useful for cleaning the tire surface before short track events (ex. Kilo). Worthless for rides on roads.

I did it in the past a few times before rainy criteriums but seemed it wasn't anything more than cleaning the tires. And if it did help grip, the effect couldn't last more than a very short time.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put beet juice on mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a flat 20 minutes into my ride on my trainer the other day. Maybe I should try vinegar on my trainer too.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes added some salt too. Taste was awful though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ3FoKu8rkU

0_0 vinegar!
Last edited by: masa757: Jul 24, 16 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else use vinegar on their tires? [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:
Yes added some salt too. Taste was awful though :)

Blue cheese dressing helps in the rain and great to slather on that sweet potato in your pocket. Wait, that IS a potato in your pocket, right?
Quote Reply