Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero difference between flo 30 set and cosmic carbones
Quote | Reply
I have a set of mavic carbones that are probably 58mm or so. I haven't used them in quite a while. I am debating selling them and just sticking with my 30s.

I could keep them and put them on my road bike, but i have not been on that either for forever.

I might buy the new flo 60s but not anytime soon since I'm not racing this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between flo 30 set and cosmic carbones [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For these sorts of questions, splitting hairs, I think Josh@Silca really changed the landscape. You can no longer look at just the wheels, you have include the tires, the psi, etc. You could very easily have a system where either the carbones or flo 30 are faster depending on the entire system.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between flo 30 set and cosmic carbones [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo30s are more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between flo 30 set and cosmic carbones [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Flo30s are more aero.

^^^^This.

My old carbones are now on my roadie.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between flo 30 set and cosmic carbones [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
You could very easily have a system where either the carbones or flo 30 are faster depending on the entire system.

This is a good point, thanks for mentioning this. Folks have been preaching this for a decade or more, for sure. Tires and their effects on aerodynamics has been known since Chester Kyle was looking at this stuff moons ago. Steve Hed was also doing this stuff in the 90's. Heck, I documented the aerodynamic effect of tire/wheels in the late 90's early 00's. When it comes to Crr, the original Crr testing of Al Morrison encouraged me to test multiple tires of the same make/model on rollers and my immediate observation was along the lines of this:

http://biketechreview.com/...4-a-ultremo-zx#26926

The problem, IMO, is that tools/methodologies exist to give _an_ answer. Whether that answer is misleading or not is a bit more problematic. Caveat emptor.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I have a set of mavic carbones that are probably 58mm or so.

the tire you choose to use can make a big difference aerodynamically with this wheel (and all others!). I've had good tunnel results with my carbones (purchased used off ebay mid 00's).

YMMV,

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply