Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ignore that I'm slower on training runs with increase volume vs last year?
Quote | Reply
Overall, I increased my run volume over last year from roughly 40mpw to 50mpw. However, my run paces on my everyday runs are about 15-20 secs slower. (i'm also lighter too than last year) Also, when comparing long runs I'm much slower 30secs or so (based on same RPE). I've been riding my bike harder than last year so I'm assuming this has something to do with it and also the increased run mileage. Should I just ignore this and know I'll probably be a faster runner than last year? I will say once I come out of a recovery week my run speed increases dramatically with same effort (RPE).
Quote Reply
Re: Ignore that I'm slower on training runs with increase volume vs last year? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your legs are probably tired from cycling.
the speeds that matters are: are your quality runs (speedwork) faster? what about race times?
if the pace after an easy week is faster than last year, that's a good sign

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ignore that I'm slower on training runs with increase volume vs last year? [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that matters are your race times.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, my run paces on my everyday runs are about 15-20 secs slower. (i'm also lighter too than last year) Also, when comparing long runs I'm much slower 30secs or so (based on same RPE).

Have you done any races in the last year where you can compare times?

Is your increased speed on the bike (assuming it is faster) more than the amount you slow down on the run (assuming your race times are slower)? Assuming you are doing triathlons and not stand alone runs, it is your combined time that you should look at, not just your running times.
Quote Reply
Re: Ignore that I'm slower on training runs with increase volume vs last year? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
All that matters are your race times.

Pretty much this. generally if you increase volume you will decrease speed, you can't go flat out all the time, just make sure the hard sessions are suitably hard.
Quote Reply