Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Motivation for solo training [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Heck right now I am riding on my bike typing this out.

You read slowtwitch and type long comments like the above while riding your bike?! Please tell me that's on a trainer...

Awesome. I had a nightmare image of you on the road, typing out comments while weaving through traffic :(
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you're doing too much and getting kind of burned out. I don't know if I've ever been to the pool 5 days/week. Driving there? showering, swimming, showering again, getting dressed, driving home? 5 times/week. Yikes, I imagine you're biking and running too.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hank, that Olympic video had me choked up. Thanks for that.

Thomas, I use a music stand, but your option looks great! I set up the wireless keyboard/mouse to an old Mac mini, connected to a flatscreen.

I'm gonna get more specific about my week. If I miss one, I just jump back to it when the inevitable happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Maybe you're doing too much and getting kind of burned out. I don't know if I've ever been to the pool 5 days/week. Driving there? showering, swimming, showering again, getting dressed, driving home? 5 times/week. Yikes, I imagine you're biking and running too.

I totally wish it was that simple. I'm completely focused on prepping for the my first 2.4 mile OWS. The 3.5 mile run at the end isn't an issue. I'm in the water only 45 min, and the pool I s 2 miles from home. From the time I leave until I'm back is 1:10. I've racked the bike completely for now. Not even lifting, which is just in the garage.
I'm doing Dan's Guppy program, and the variety has kept it really fresh. So, I'm setting the alarms that were mentioned, and I'm going to treat it like an appointment with a client. I've never been sorry once I start. So I'll be better about getting my calendar set, and just do my best.
Between S/B/R, mobility and lifting, I can't see how it all fits into an 8-hour training week. But that is a different thread.
Last edited by: mpderksen: Jul 24, 16 21:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should work out a sponsorship deal with the manufacturer of that table; I bought one on your recommendation from a previous thread. Now I can easily take conference calls and type emails from that table while on the trainer, which constitutes "working from home." Money well spent...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
You should work out a sponsorship deal with the manufacturer of that table; I bought one on your recommendation from a previous thread. Now I can easily take conference calls and type emails from that table while on the trainer, which constitutes "working from home." Money well spent...

I am actually trying to move away from sponsorship in general. I want to help people find better solutions and be better athletes making more informed decisions. Sponsorship just puts a restraint on what I can and cannot say.

I mean personally, I love my Medical Overbed for typing while on the bike trainer, but the beauty of not being sponsored is if something better comes out tomorrow I can recommend it. As I said, I do love my solution for now, but it is a solution to a problem I am sure the manufacturer never intended. I know the Wahoo desk exists as well, but what I want is a better, wider platform that is designed specifically for the task. If Wahoo asked for my input I would be more than happy to help a desk.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel quite a bit for work and am at the mercy of hotel work out rooms. My #1 criteria for selecting a hotel is now what kind of fitness center is found on the premises and whether the pool is tiny or whether it allows at least five strokes per length. I have found that good music and headphones can make running on a treadmill in even the most microscopic fitness room tolerable. I hate working all day and then driving a couple of hours to a new city / hotel, then working out in the evening. I try to get my swimming and running done in the morning. It is very rare that a hotel fitness center has a proper spin bike rather than those bummer recumbent type bikes that I refuse to ride. So I do the best I can. I've finished sprint and HIM distance races this year although I felt under-trained for the HIM. I have an Olympic coming up and then I'm calling it a season.

I do all my training by myself whether I'm on the road or at home. I guess I am just not a "joiner". My goal over this coming winter off-season is to improve my swimming so I may have to join a masters group for that. We'll see. I generally look forward to riding the bike or swimming, and like the feeling of being fit. I even grudgingly enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after a run. But like the OP, I do miss a day or days of training from time to time due to schedule and the logistics of training on the road.
In Reply To:
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Jul 25, 16 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay tigerchick sighting!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue with work travel and it is hard. I always remember, if I miss a workout or quit a workout, I am only screwing myself in the long run and my next workout will be even more painful due to may laziness. It is not the most helpful but try to think that what you miss today only hurts more tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Motivation for solo training [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next