Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what kind of wetsuit for Vineman?
Quote | Reply
Water temps 70-76?..I know mornings are chilly there.Full,sleeveless ?Interested what others are doing.Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: what kind of wetsuit for Vineman? [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrnchk wrote:
Water temps 70-76?..I know mornings are chilly there.Full,sleeveless ?Interested what others are doing.Thanks!

Did it last year in a full suit, was fine, did not overheat.
Quote Reply
Re: what kind of wetsuit for Vineman? [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 72 at Vineman 70.3 and I used a full. It was fine, but on the edge of too warm for me.
For a 2.4 mile swim, I would consider sleeveless wetsuit. I know the aren't as fast. Individual call on this one.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrnchk wrote:

It really depends on the athlete. For me, someone who is wasting a lot of energy, going anaerobic, big engine, I am going to get into heat issues with a sleeved wetsuit and that will torch my race. When I am in doubt on races like this I also resort to sleeveless as do some of my peers as they to know how destructive overheating is.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wore sleeveless for the half a couple weeks ago, was fine. Would suggest darker tinted goggles if it's a sunny day. Our wave went at 7:10 and couldn't see anything, sun directly in the face w/ steam coming off the water, wasn't bad after the first couple buoys, but just a suggestion.
Quote Reply
Re: what kind of wetsuit for Vineman? [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.Thanks for all the advice.Dark goggles for sure.I am small and one of those always cold people so possibly could get away with full suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrnchk wrote:
Ok.Thanks for all the advice.Dark goggles for sure.I am small and one of those always cold people so possibly could get away with full suit.

I'm pretty small too, I had my suit on to stay warm in the morning, but the water is comfortably warm. Maybe you can make it the whole way without having to stand up. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced VM several times both 70.3 and IM. It's always a warm swim but as someone posted the mornings can be cool. My set up was DeSoto speedvest and speed tube bottoms. For me if the water temp gets onto the 70's I start to get too warm in a full, yes it's slower but it's worth the trade off.

As for tinted goggles, it's was overcast all but one time racing so the sun wasn't an issue. It's easy to sight on the buoys or the shore line, kinda hard to get off course.

As for the buoy line I suggest getting on the bridge over the river and checking the course, pick a good line since the buoy line isn't the fastest line.

It was cool every morning I raced so if you don't stay warm easy you might want to go with a full zip bike jersey over your race kit. One year I was passing people shivering and they commented I wish I had that on.

Good luck.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jul 24, 16 15:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been having this discussion with a number of athletes who have "wetsuit options" ... I think it really comes down to swim output + how "hot" do you run + morning air temps + race day temps ... reality is, if you went sleeveless (and you have the option) losing 2-4min is a much better trade off than being depleted 60-90min into your race. (assuming you are someone who runs hot in a suit)

We have a had a couple hot days and water temp was 73 this morning. Forecast this week is continued "hot" with no marine layer. That means best case is water stays around 73 as a low unless the CFS of the water is increased. Race day forecast looks pretty good currently but race week will be toasty

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: what kind of wetsuit for Vineman? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,everyone.Looks like a hard call but I rented a sleeveless anyway..Really appreciate all the advice from those of you who've raced here before.My husband has done the half a bunch of times years ago and always wore a sleeveless shorty wetsuit...not even sure they make those anymore!!
Quote Reply