Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me!
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

After spending a few months on the Selle Italia SLR Tri that came with my second hand bike I'm in for a new saddle. The current saddle has cause some very ugly wounds at every contact point there could be, so I'll be looking at split nose or cut-out saddles I think.

Now in my area all (capable) shops and fitters are brand concept stores, so I'm a bit bound to make a choice about which saddle I want to try beforehand, which utterly sucks. Or how should I go about this? Is it uncommon to ask to try the saddle before I buy one?

A friend of mine has recently switched to the Bontrager Hilo RXL and is quite happy with it, so I'm temped to go have a look at the trek store. The only drawback is the weight. At 255grams it's quite heavy, and I'm not sure it's worth splashing 280 dollars on a carbon saddle.

Other options would be specialized saddles, but I haven't really heard to much (good) about it. Any experiences?

Also what are the advantages of noseless saddles such as the Tritone? Any good experiences with those?

Any help here is greatly appreciated! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider Cobb saddles. They have a wide range and a 90-day no-questions-asked return policy so you won't get stuck with a saddle that doesn't work for you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized power saddle. You wont regret it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the decent stores in my area have allowed me to try demo saddles for a week or so before I've made any purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:

Isn't the power saddle more of a road saddle? I've heard some really good stuff about it, but would it be any good on a p3c? I have quite an aggressive position with my hips rolled forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
jpwiki wrote:

Isn't the power saddle more of a road saddle? I've heard some really good stuff about it, but would it be any good on a p3c? I have quite an aggressive position with my hips rolled forward.

I know plenty of other people using them on their tt bikes as well. I even use one on mountain bike. It's the comfiest saddle I've ever tried
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
Fusion wrote:
jpwiki wrote:

I know plenty of other people using them on their tt bikes as well. I even use one on mountain bike. It's the comfiest saddle I've ever tried

Alright I might go have a look at the specialized store. Only one thing: what about my fit? I got fitted to my bike and saddle 3 months ago (at a trek store), would it be difficult to find the right position again? Other threads on here seem to tell me that there is only one riding position on the power saddle, and that it might take some fiddling around.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Consider Cobb saddles. They have a wide range and a 90-day no-questions-asked return policy so you won't get stuck with a saddle that doesn't work for you.

I just called Cobb earlier this week and talked at length with Seth about what I was looking for in a saddle. He took a lot of time with me and I ended up ordering the Plus. He thought this one would likely be the best for what I was looking for. Got it yesterday afternoon and gave it a 25 mile test ride. Even though I could exchange it and try other Cobb models or simply return it, I was really impressed on that short test ride. It certainly took care of my main issue. I do want to take a longer ride or two, but pretty sure he helped me pick the best choice. I used a 10% off code that Thomas Gerlach has posted. As far as fitting, I just took measurements of my previous saddle seat top to crank length and position over the crank and replicated those measurements with the new saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Hi there,

After spending a few months on the Selle Italia SLR Tri that came with my second hand bike I'm in for a new saddle. The current saddle has cause some very ugly wounds at every contact point there could be, so I'll be looking at split nose or cut-out saddles I think.

Now in my area all (capable) shops and fitters are brand concept stores, so I'm a bit bound to make a choice about which saddle I want to try beforehand, which utterly sucks. Or how should I go about this? Is it uncommon to ask to try the saddle before I buy one?

A friend of mine has recently switched to the Bontrager Hilo RXL and is quite happy with it, so I'm temped to go have a look at the trek store. The only drawback is the weight. At 255grams it's quite heavy, and I'm not sure it's worth splashing 280 dollars on a carbon saddle.

Other options would be specialized saddles, but I haven't really heard to much (good) about it. Any experiences?

Also what are the advantages of noseless saddles such as the Tritone? Any good experiences with those?

First thing....when it comes to saddles stop worrying about weight. Contact points are the last place to shave weight before comfort/biomechanics.

I have the following on 3 different bikes all ridden in TT mode:

1. Bonetrager RLX
  2. Specialized Sitero
  3. Specialized Power

If you do a search on here, I have threads on here that cover the last two. I feel that the saddle out of these that would work best for "most" riders is the Power. Really an awesome cross between the Sitero fit and a traditional road saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had problems bug timw on the bontrager hilo RXL and switched to a cobb no good (too wide for me) i tried the ism time trial (i believed now days called PR1.0 and it has worked wonders for me! I also sent ISM an email with details of my problems what ibcurrently have more less discribed my body type and they were able to suggest a saddle that would best match my needs, give them a try

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
jpwiki wrote:

The power was created because a Specialized rider was not comfortable on their TT bike with the Sitero

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Hi there,

If I were getting fit, I would choose the fitter fit and the brands second.
I'd rather have a great bike fitter with good saddles than a good fitter with great saddles.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

If I were getting fit, I would choose the fitter fit and the brands second.
I'd rather have a great bike fitter with good saddles than a good fitter with great saddles.

I've been fitted on three bikes now and have tried the two different fitters in my area. They just work for specilialized and trek conceptstores. The only non-brand related fitter is 200km away and asks about double the price without any replacement parts included.. Which would cost me around 800 euros if not more.

At the time I got fit, I hadn't really spend enough time on the SLR TRI to know what I know now. Basically my perineum is ripped to pieces, which is not as much a discomfort thing as it is just unbearable pain if you ride a ton like i do. I used to ride and arione on my roadbike, so i'm not the type that needs a superduper special saddle. I just need one that doesn't rip my flesh to parts. (Sorry for the graphic description).

I've made an appointement in the specialized store and will try both the sitero and the power. They said I could return them if i didn't like them after a week, but I wouldn't get my money back, just change for something on their shop.. Let's hope I don't start out looking for a saddle and end up leaving with an aero helmet haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noseless advantage? The advantage is not having that nose crushing your junk.
FWIW, I rode a cobb v-flow max for several years. Just recently switched to the adamo PR 2.0. Both saddles were good, but the adamo is a better fit for my wide arse. I cannot imagine going back to a nosed saddle on my tri bike. Cobb's JOF might do the trick; and the return period on them is unbeatable. Or find a deal on a used saddle--folks have many laying around, so try the classifieds.

Slowman did a few articles not long ago about "for want of a saddle" or some other such phrase. You can read up on the details of the general design concepts. Might be a worthwhile read for you.

And weight on a saddle is irrelevant.
G'luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally love the Sitero. I've tried fizik's Arione and it was so horribly uncomfortable for me.

I used a Selle Italia SLR superflow and that worked really well until I got a sitero.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I personally love the Sitero. I've tried fizik's Arione and it was so horribly uncomfortable for me.

I used a Selle Italia SLR superflow and that worked really well until I got a sitero.

I got a Sitero to try for a few weeks now and have just completed my first ride on it. At first it felt kind of strange.. Like sitting on a brick maybe? The saddle is way stiffer and i really felt more connected to the road.

After that first 3,5 hours on it, i'm still not convinced both of those things are good things.

They told me to use it for a 500-600k to get a good feel for it. At the moment I'm thinking I might need to give it more time, but I'm actually wondering: does a saddle have to fit like a glove from the first ride? And what are you suposed to feel/not to feel besides pain obviously? Is there such thing as breaking in a saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:

I got a Sitero to try for a few weeks now and have just completed my first ride on it. At first it felt kind of strange.. Like sitting on a brick maybe? The saddle is way stiffer and i really felt more connected to the road.

After that first 3,5 hours on it, i'm still not convinced both of those things are good things.

They told me to use it for a 500-600k to get a good feel for it. At the moment I'm thinking I might need to give it more time, but I'm actually wondering: does a saddle have to fit like a glove from the first ride? And what are you suposed to feel/not to feel besides pain obviously? Is there such thing as breaking in a saddle?

The sitero felt awesome to me on the very first ride.. It felt soft and the alignment was perfect (glove like analogy here).. Maybe its just not the right saddle for you, fit wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
All the decent stores in my area have allowed me to try demo saddles for a week or so before I've made any purchase.

This. I just demoed the Cobb Plus for a week and am headed back to the store to buy it and return the demo. It wasn't perfect but I came off a 100 mile ride with no significant issues and zero crotch soreness the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
This.

Try all of them. You need to ride at least an hour with each saddle. Longer is better. All the decent LBSs in my area have demo saddles, and if they don't they've been known to pull a new saddle off the shelf to let us try it, and then sell us that one if we liked it.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To get it out of the way first:

Saddles are highly individual and nobody is built exactly the same...hence saddles fit differently.

But since the Sitero came up and you asked for "school":

I rode the Sitero last season...it was "ok" and I had a decent HIM performance with it....but I think you need to have a really narrow hip and skinny thighs to benefit from it.
I always rocked side to side on it and the front felt way to wide (I prefer narrow saddles on my road bike)..

I actually never felt I could sit centered on it and all this year I was sore after each ride.....despite the added padding.

I just tried the minimally padded short nose Specialized Power saddle (at 155 width) and it felt super right on the first 40 miler. (my only complaint is that I just wished it had an even shorter nose).

Thanks to all who suggested the Power saddle!!!

Disclaimer: I am paying full retail at my LBS. And Yes, I know.....

125mph wrote:
Fusion wrote:

The sitero felt awesome to me on the very first ride.. It felt soft and the alignment was perfect (glove like analogy here).. Maybe its just not the right saddle for you, fit wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle choice: Bontrager, Fizik, Specialized.. school me! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
To get it out of the way first:

Saddles are highly individual and nobody is built exactly the same...hence saddles fit differently.

But since the Sitero came up and you asked for "school":

I rode the Sitero last season...it was "ok" and I had a decent HIM performance with it....but I think you need to have a really narrow hip and skinny thighs to benefit from it.
I always rocked side to side on it and the front felt way to wide (I prefer narrow saddles on my road bike)..

I actually never felt I could sit centered on it and all this year I was sore after each ride.....despite the added padding.

I just tried the minimally padded short nose Specialized Power saddle (at 155 width) and it felt super right on the first 40 miler. (my only complaint is that I just wished it had an even shorter nose).

Thanks to all who suggested the Power saddle!!!

Disclaimer: I am paying full retail at my LBS. And Yes, I know.....

The selle italia was way to narrow for me. Atleast with the sitero i feel my sitbones are being supported by something. But it does feel to wide somehow and i end up trying to change position all the time. After a week now it still feels like sitting on a square brick.

Going to return the demo saddle and try out the power.
Quote Reply