Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Air quality alerts
Quote | Reply
Is it just me, or are there more air quality alert days this summer?

When I first started noticing them, I thought... "Oh- it is an air quality alert day- I should probably work out inside." But it seems like every day is an air quality alert day- I don't remember this happening before- or maybe I just didn't notice. Is the air quality actually getting worse or is there a new definition of "poor air quality". I don't have asthma- but I wonder how bad it is for your lungs to work out outside during an "air quality alert"
Quote Reply
Re: Air quality alerts [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to ride on hot days in the afternoon in the mid Atlantic area and didn't understand why my lungs/chest would hurt afterwards. Then I learned about Ozone and such and that was decade or more ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyday thing in the summer for where I live (Cen Cal). We are in a valley or bowl and when high pressure sets in, it hold as the smog in. Plus it blows in through the mountain passes from the bay area in addition to what we generate on our own.

Quote | Reply
Each year, or every few years (depending on the agency or air district) the goal posts are moved. Air quality is continually getting better but the threshold amount of measured particulates that trigger an alert gets lower.

Basically they set an "allowable" level of pollution, let's say 10 ppm of dirt, and when the air dirt exceeds 10 ppm the issue an alert. Then they will change threshold to, say, 5 ppm of dirt for this year. So now you get more alert days. It also give you the illusion that things are getting worse which isn't true.

In CA the Air Resources Board has determined that the state emits a certain amount of pollutants. Then they set goals for amounts that are lower than now for some time in the future. If we don't meet that lower goal it will be labeled as an increase in emissions even if the actual measured amount of emissions decreases.

I've had this discussion with engineers from CARB and they will look you straight in the eye and tell you that going from 10 to 7 is an increase because we were suppose to get to 5. It's just the way it is and that is what we have to deal with.

They've done the same with ocean water quality testing here. Some years ago they started a testing the water at local beaches and if they measured a certain amount of bacteria they'd put up warning signs or actual beach closures. Well, one year there weren't any closures so they just changed the bacteria threshold for a closure and guess what?

More beach closures (and more funding for water testing).

This isn't crazy right wing anti-government Duffy talking here. This is work in the air pollution control business and have sat in on meetings with CARB and SCAQMD where this very thing is discussed.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The air inside comes from the air outside. Therefore, your workout location is probably moot.

I'm pretty sure that the hotter the temps, the more likely the air quality warnings will occur (it's a little more complicated than this, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb). And, for the most part, they want you to try and reduce your pollutant footprint. Don't drive your car as much. Don't mow your lawn. Cut down fewer acres of forest. That kind of thing. If you can tolerate the heat, go for your bike ride.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Air quality alerts [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always money to be made prolonging problems. Most things just aren't on the level.
Quote Reply