Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail?
Quote | Reply
Since when do the police take people to jail for speeding 15 mph over the speed limit?

"In one of two videos, Officer Patrick Spradlin is heard talking to King, who was pulled over for speeding, about race while driving her to jail."

Would this person be taken off to jail if she wasn't black? I've never heard of anyone being taken off to jail for a traffic stop.

""Why are so many people afraid of black people?" Spradlin asks. "I can give you a really good idea why it might be that way," he said. "Violent tendencies."
Spradlin goes on to say that "I don't blame" white people for being afraid because of violence in the black community. "Some of them, because of their appearance and whatnot, some of them are very intimidating," he says."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/video-texas-officer-says-blacks-have-violent-tendencies/ar-BBuDMfg?li=BBnbfcL

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
must not be due to racism - I got the racism solved memo
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
must not be due to racism - I got the racism solved memo

There hasn't been any racism since 1865
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Since when do the police take people to jail for speeding 15 mph over the speed limit?

Every day in Virginia.

Going 20 over, or 81 mph, is reckless driving. Punishable by a year in jail and $2500
In rural VA, including between Spotsylvania and Hanover, the speed limit is 70. So 11 over will get you a year in jail...
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um about that. I've only gotten one speeding Ickes in my life. I was riding with traffic in an interstate in rural Virginia going 81. When pulled the officer asked if I was aware I was reckless driving. I said isn't the law 20 over. He said 80'was the cutoff. But lowered my ticket to 79 because I was so polite. A judge dismissed in lieu of driving school. So yes, Technically I could have been arrested that day as reckless driving is similar to a DUI on Virginia statutes.

With that said, I have only heard of people arrested for severe speed, 100+. In fact the night I was in the drunk tank, some young guy from jersey was pulled for 115. He was laughing it off. He had just bought a rice rocket from some other state and was passing through at 100+. Not only did he lose his license for the mandatory week, but his car was confiscated lending trial. If convicted it would be a permanent confiscation and auction. He was smiling after we was told this.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've never actually met anyone thrown in jail for speeding there. Or even for the silly radar-detectors-are-illegal-to-own laws.

My niece is dating a guy who's parents bought him a ZL1 Camaro. 21 years old, 600 hp car. Driving to her parents, from Nashville to VA Beach, they were pulled over going like 120 or something stupid. Got a lot of tickets, but none for reckless driving, somehow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, once they slammed her to the ground they had to add in a resisting arrest charge.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40km over (25mph) and your car gets impounded for a week in BC in addition to all the tickets... they don't give a shit if the vehicle is a work one, rental or borrowed. By the time an appeal is mounted it's day 4 or 5 of the impoundment and that's assuming you convince the adjudication board it's an undue hardship...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I've received a "speeding ticket" was during the short-lived time that they had Photo-Radar in British Columbia. I was 15K over in a 60 zone, driving along with the flow of traffic - I think it was $75. I was actually being slowly passed by a car to my left (it was a four lane road). My poor luck is that I was in the right hand lane, and thus in-line with the photo-radar unit, hidden in a plain un-marked white mini-van parked on the shoulder of the road.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not commenting on what happened in the story you linked to but I was arrested for speeding (75 in a 50 which is considered reckless driving). I was a juvenile at the time.

I was also arrested for skateboarding on the sidewalk because I refused to sign the ticket I received.

I have also been given speeding tickets for skateboarding faster than the posted speed limit.

Now as for the video, after she was slammed to the ground she tried to get away. Not much else the cop can do at that other than issue a beat down.

Can't say for certain that the initial takedown was out of line but it sure looked like Officer Hothead forgot to take his anti-having a bad day pills.

Another thing that generally goes unsaid here and elsewhere (AND THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF POLICE BRUTALITY!!!!!!!) is the general lack of awareness of the officers' level of agitation by people who get beaten by police. I've had interactions with police where you could tell the cop was having a bad day, or is one crosseyed look from snapping.

Just as a matter of listening to you survival instincts you'd think some of these victims of police brutality would get the sense that they are pissing off or scaring a man with a badge and a fucking gun.

the old saying "it takes two to tango" comes to mind here.

Again, not an excuse for hot headed cops to beat people up (or shoot them) but come on, people!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does pay to be polite when pulled over, and sometimes the police officer is truly having a bad day.

Still, in 40+ years of driving, I've been on the receiving end of a dozen or so traffic stops. A few times they let me off with a warning. The other times they gave me a ticket that's always been "payable by mail". Worst case was the time I was driving 70 mph on a perfectly straight two lane road in NM back in the 55 mph speed limit days. Even then, it was just a ticket, "payable by mail or you can come back next Monday to see the municipal judge." I've never been told to get out of my car, much less taken to jail though.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in college I lived in Stevens Point, WI, but worked in Wisconsin Rapids, WI - a ~25 minute drive on rural roads apart. I drove a car with MN plates.

I was pulled over for driving mighty fast trying to get back to SP for swim practice. The officer told me I needed to put up the $$$ for the ticket on the spot via a check or CC since I was driving a car with out of state plates or he'd be taking me to jail. He didn't buy that I was a student despite having a student ID card.

For various reasons I had no credit card on my person, no checks, leaving me with only a debit card backed by a checking account with something like 10 dollars in it. I fortunately found a statement from a dentist I had visited shortly before with my SP address, and he let me go to pay the ticket in court.

15 years later I still think the cop was being an asshole, and have a hard time believing he actually would have arrested me, but as a 22 year old trying to get to swim practice I sure as hell believed him.

I was even polite as hell when he asked how fast I was going - and gave him the correct answer - I gave the wrong answer once at 17 - I don't know officer the speedometer only goes to 85, surprisingly that one got a laugh and gotten written way down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
It does pay to be polite when pulled over, and sometimes the police officer is truly having a bad day.

True but I don't relish organizations that need a daily salute or ball washing or else they go ballistic. I just dropped an insurance co that had decent service but required a very specific method of payment - and if I didn't follow instructions perfectly they charged me $10
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Country road, sight lines for miles in all directions, I went through a stop sign at 100+ miles per hour on my motorcycle then proceeded to ramp it up to 110-120mph. County deputy sheriff hiding behind a tree watched the whole thing. Pulled out and hit me with the flashers, I could have run as I was already over 100mph, but instead I stopped as quickly as possible, shut the bike down and kept my hands on the bars till she caught up.

She was pissed as shit when she got to me, yelling in my face, etc. I calmly acknowledged that she was right, I apologized, I made predictable moves and she calmed down.

She could have easily arrested me and impounded my bike for a myriad of charges, and she made sure to tell me about all the ways she could ruin my day. I said "you are right, I'm sorry". She wrote me my failure to stop ticket and my standard speeding ticket and gave me my safety lecture. I thanked her for not hauling my ass off to jail and went on my way.
Quote Reply
Re: Stopped for Speeding = Taken to Jail? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds very similar to a friend's story.

120ish on a GSXR and he didn't really notice the CHP officer behind him for awhile (minute or two). He pulled over and could tell the officer was pumped full of adrenaline. Thought for sure he was going to get tackled.

He played it cool and calm and rode away with a simple speeding ticket.

For the record, he's black.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply