Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 alleged terror suspects arrested in Rio
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/...r-arrests/index.html

I can't help but ask, actual threat or Norsefire scapegoat?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 alleged terror suspects arrested in Rio [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but it is definitely something to be wary of.

There are 2 huge sporting events going on now or very soon (TdF and Olympics) with live coverage, tons of fans, worldwide large TV audiences, and spread out venues that make security a nightmare. Those seem like events that are tailor made for bad things to happen.

If we make it through both without a significant incident I will be very pleasantly surprised.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 alleged terror suspects arrested in Rio [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/americas/brazil-olympics-terror-arrests/index.html

I can't help but ask, actual threat or Norsefire scapegoat?

Norsefire. Now your talking.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: 10 alleged terror suspects arrested in Rio [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are 2 huge sporting events going on now or very soon (TdF and Olympics) with live coverage, tons of fans, worldwide large TV audiences, and spread out venues that make security a nightmare. Those seem like events that are tailor made for bad things to happen.

I think people have been assuming terrorist attacks will occur at high profile events ever since 9/11 but I can't think of many (Boston Marathon comes to mind as an exception). Since 9/11, event organizers have been on high alert during the Summer Olympics in Athens, Beijing and London. The winter Olympics in Salt Lake, Turin, Vancouver and Sochi. The World Cup in Korea/Japan, Germany, South Africa. Yearly Tour de France races, 4 tennis grand slams a year in tennis, weekly marathons around the world, 15 Superbowls etc., etc. Not many terror incidents in any of those.

We tend to try and out smart the terrorists and assume they will attack during an event that makes sense to us because the large number of potential victims. Every anniversary of 9/11, there is heightened security. Airports have spent 15 years trying to stop copy cat hijackers etc., etc.

Then, when we least expect it, they strike at "random" and catch everyone by surprise.

Quote Reply