Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Engineering School [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
You have your whole life to work. Go to school and enjoy the experience, no need to rush.

My thought exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering School [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
i've posted here about college before, but I have another question that I won't be able to ask our college counselor about for another month or two.

So the college that I am looking at going to (Fall 2017) is now offering "Finish in 3." Essentially you don't take the summer off, and you finish in 3 years instead of 4. Is there any reason not to do this? It is the same price, and while you don't get the summer off, you are out a year earlier. It will feel more like a full time "real" job, which I don't see as a bad thing.

What say ye?

There's a campus filled with college girls, and you're talking about leaving early?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
internships, coop, or some other form of relevant work experience seems to be required these days. My personal experience: comm college, army basic - AIT - avionics tech, drilling reservist, college - aeronautical engineering, graduate, deploy, enlistment complete, walk into relevant jobs at a higher rate than my classmates.

I think the 3 year plan would only make since if you go straight to grad school - and even then the burnout risk would be pretty high. I know some schools offer undergrad + MS or MBA in 5. If you go for a JD - for IP Law, it would make sense as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a hiring manager, I don't care if you finished in 3 or 4 years. But I do look at your coops and internships. If you don't have any then your resume is going to be deleted.

Internships and coops are just as important as classes. You learn a lot about what kind of work you want to do and not want to do. Also taking a summer job in a part of the country you have never been to before is a great opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering School [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hokiebird wrote:

If you want to work in nuclear engineering,

don't
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to do 3 years? Undergrad is as much about the journey as about the destination. Enjoy the journey - once you go to work you'll likely never get another like that.

My undergrad took 6 years (McGill University Chemical Engineering '99) and I'm VERY happy I chose to go that route. I did a minor in Arts (philosophy and literature) adding 1.5 years. I also took 9 months off to travel and spend a ton of time backpacking around India and Thailand. Looking back those were my most enlightening, happiest years.

I also did a postgraduate degree but that was less fun and more work. Enjoy your undergrad - don't rush it.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering School [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Hokiebird wrote:

If you want to work in nuclear engineering,

don't

Why do you feel this way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
i've posted here about college before, but I have another question that I won't be able to ask our college counselor about for another month or two.

So the college that I am looking at going to (Fall 2017) is now offering "Finish in 3." Essentially you don't take the summer off, and you finish in 3 years instead of 4. Is there any reason not to do this? It is the same price, and while you don't get the summer off, you are out a year earlier. It will feel more like a full time "real" job, which I don't see as a bad thing.

What say ye?

3 years is enough to make you never want to work as an engineer. Do the 4-5 year plan and do a couple internships and/or co-ops, these will so much more valuable to your career than your actual course work. Did my chemical engineering degree in 4 years while taking music classes, playing in several bands, and teaching....never did an internship. I would not trade my college experience for anything (I probably should have drank more though) but I did lack in real world engineering work experience. I had a hard enough time deciding between music education and engineering that I spent all my free time involved in music while still completing a CheEng degree in fours years...

No need to rush yourself....take your time and enjoy the ride.

Prev Next