Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why Trump's Prosperous Supporters are Angry, Too [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A burger flipper here is going to have a quality of life much higher and that opens up opportunities to improve, go to school etc etc. If you're spending every dime to pay the rent with you and four of closest friends on a small apartment barely making it...you're not going to be very optimistic.

Yet, it seems folks are. Optimism is an intrinsic belief that things will be better in the future. Rightly or wrongly, it is very prevalent here (outside of small pockets urban poverty). As I said, in spite of the Democrats here, we have an intrinsically more conservative capitalist system, in which the safety net is comparatively smaller due to cost of living, and worker participation rates are MUCH higher. (High labor participation is generally a good thing, right?)
Quote Reply
Re: Why Trump's Prosperous Supporters are Angry, Too [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet, it seems folks are. Optimism is an intrinsic belief that things will be better in the future. Rightly or wrongly, it is very prevalent here (outside of small pockets urban poverty). As I said, in spite of the Democrats here, we have an intrinsically more conservative capitalist system, in which the safety net is comparatively smaller due to cost of living, and worker participation rates are MUCH higher. (High labor participation is generally a good thing, right?)

Let me try this a different way. We are both listing things that make people optimistic are we not? Having a place to stay you can afford. High labor participation rate. Not living in poverty. Making a lot of money. Yes optimism is an intrinsic belief that things will be better in the future. What creates that belief however are the conditions the individual is experiencing not simply being in a certain area. If you're living in poverty in a high cost area you're probably not feeling very optimistic. You would probably feel more optimistic in a low cost area for a number of reasons. If you are doing well and at the top of the food chain you're probably going to feel more optimistic in a high cost urban area even if your quality of living is slightly lower because you know that there are tons of opportunities available to you.

None of this has anything to do specifically with Urban, none urban, Trump or Hillary. It's about the situation each individual is in. Obviously if you have a location where things are going really well and it's generally better for everyone then that community will be more optimistic. Again that has nothing to do with Urban or non Urban. Do you think people in Detroit are more optimistic then many small towns around the country? No, not a chance. It has nothing to do with Urban it has to do with what's going on in the area.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Why Trump's Prosperous Supporters are Angry, Too [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Do you think people in Detroit are more optimistic then many small towns around the country?

I had no idea that Detroit was a high cost urban area ;). You seem to have moved the topic. Let's start again, since optimism is so shifty and hard to pin down. It seems (to me) that there is a prevailing personal fiscal conservatism in high cost urban areas (in spite of all those pesky Democrats), which reduces dependence on government, and personal fiscal conservatism has all sorts of positive results (savings, investment, more work,...), which lead to a generally more forward-looking and optimistic economic outlook. There, is that clearer? I'm trying to understand the anger of Trump supporters, and lack of anger among other populations (like the OP).
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jul 21, 16 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Why Trump's Prosperous Supporters are Angry, Too [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
sto wrote:
Not all of us look at our 401ks and see poor performance. I've gone up $175k off a balance of $240k in 4 years. If you are putting in the max every year (and if over 50, the 5k catchup), the market has been very good to some of us.

Of course, everyone's 401k funds / offerings are very different, but what my company has offered me and what I've chosen is certainly far for disappointing.

One could have seen very good returns over the last 15 years with average 401k mutual funds if......

1) You were dollar cost averaging into investments (buying a constant $ amount) - this meant you bought lots of shares in 03 and 09, and only a few shares in 07 an 01.
2) You didn't stop investing when the markets crashed (and media hype told you the world was ending) and you didn't start investing again once prices had recovered (like the media told you to).

I've been pretty steady as a % regardless of whether the market's been up or down and never withdrawn any, except that my income was much lower back when the markets were doing better, and the market has done worse (more or less) as my income has gone up over the years. So if you look at what I have in my funds vs what make today, after close to 20 years in the workforce, it appears like I've barely done squat. I've set aside more recently now that I enjoy a higher disposable margin to afford it, but that's coincided with several quarters where the returns have been negative so it looks more like I'm just treading water rather than gaining.

Um the last four quarters have been positive

Sure, it's picked up a tick at the very end and I certainly hope it continues, but over my entire career thus far it's still a net disappointment in that more of my cumulative earnings/contributions have coincided with the market doing poorly, whereas the best gains on a % basis largely occurred back when I had a lot less to put in. I did use the qualifiers "more or less"; in that context 4 quarters is more of a counter to the overall picture. If you averaged out my contributions over that whole time and applied the average gain across that entire span, you'd end up with a greater sum than what I actually have, which goes back to the previous point I was replying to about buying a constant $ amount... in essence I've bought more at inopportune times, but not by design.
Quote Reply

Prev Next