Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I was capable - after 15 Ironman races, I hoped I had won enough self-confidence to safely navigate said website. But alas no - I simply cannot find the bike profile anywhere (hint: its not a map, but a altitude profile)

Also the info that "IMTX offers 75 qualifying slots" dates back a few months, and there where rumors that 1) the race could be cancelled and 2) that it would not be NA Championships (hence probably not 75 slots) - what I was requesting was UPDATED INSIGHTS from people who would this info.

Suggest a bit of empathy with a poor guy, about to bleed $1200+ on a plane ticket to Houston, OK?

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
In fairness, the bike course profile and 2017 Kona slot info is not on the current IMTX site.

But...

That's where the info will be once it's announced and updated.

Actually, it is. The site was updated mid-summer with the current info.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course profile is not there though.

But it's going to be flat as a board so really nothing much for anyone to concern themselves with.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks GMAN!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be real flat. Like IMFL flat. 90% of the ride will be on a highway toll road, most of which around Houston proper. The only reason the old IMTX course had any kind of elevation gain or hills was because it went to the north of The Woodlands. Houston itself is extremely flat.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
It's going to be real flat. Like IMFL flat. 90% of the ride will be on a highway toll road, most of which around Houston proper. The only reason the old IMTX course had any kind of elevation gain or hills was because it went to the north of The Woodlands. Houston itself is extremely flat.

Sounds like a draft fest to me! 75 slots is still a little tempting like it will be to many others.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just go look at this years results for what it will take to get a KQ. I'd steer clear unless you're just feeling really confident.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jet black wrote:
Yeah, just go look at this years results for what it will take to get a KQ. I'd steer clear unless you're just feeling really confident.
\

This year's results are useless for gauging your abilities due to the shortened bike course making everyone 0:45-1:00 faster, then the storm messed everything up for a bunch of the age groups
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
jet black wrote:
\

This year's results are useless for gauging your abilities due to the shortened bike course making everyone 0:45-1:00 faster, then the storm messed everything up for a bunch of the age groups

yeah, results from '16 (other than the swim) are kinda useless. But, '15 might be a good guide.

Re: The bike being flat and a draft fest. For me I am FOP swim so that would help, especially if it's non-wetsuit. And, I would guess that with the race on the toll road that there will be plenty of room for motos to watch for shenanigans (AKA drafting).

To me the weird spring weather has me holding back on signing up. But, I gotta bite the bullet, I guess.

Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prolly little chance of a non-wettie swim in April. TJ can attest (I assume). The years I raced it in May, the weather and water temps were somewhat cool in the weeks leading up to the race and then 'Kaboom' about 10 days out it turned 'Hot' and the water warmed very quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
jet black wrote:
\

I was replying to Brendan who's m35-39. The KQs from that group were done well before the storm. Adding 45 minutes to the times would be about right for that group. 7 slots, with the extra 45 min 7th place would have been ~9:30. And that's starting the run at 85*, 70* dew point and full sun.

edit: and there were 8 more guys within 5 minutes of 7th place.
Last edited by: jet black: Sep 28, 16 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jet black wrote:

was there watching/supporting this year I saw first hand, lot of guys seem to like the appeal of 75 slots. Reluctantly steering clear.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jet black wrote:
noofus wrote:
jet black wrote:
\

I was replying to Brendan who's m35-39. The KQs from that group were done well before the storm. Adding 45 minutes to the times would be about right for that group. 7 slots, with the extra 45 min 7th place would have been ~9:30. And that's starting the run at 85*, 70* dew point and full sun.

edit: and there were 8 more guys within 5 minutes of 7th place.

*sigh* Yea I am M35-39 and was there. I was off the bike with the top 10, but then blew up severely in the heat on my second run lap and ended up out of contention. Ended up getting stuck in the storm only 5 miles from the finish. On the plus side, the storm cooled me off and the 45 minute rest gave me legs to run in the last 5 miles feeling reasonably fresh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. yeah, I was never in contention and was just really pacing myself to have a good day in my first IM. heat was brutal, I was pretty discouraged starting the 3rd lap. I must have been about the same spot as you at that point and the rain saved my ass. I had a nice progression run the whole was in after it started raining and ran my fastest mile on the last lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was bored today so I decided to map the course on 'Map My Ride'. It is not completely accurate as I am unsure of the exact turn around locations and also because the program will not permit me to ride/drive the wrong way on the highway. The nerve of the program not allowing that! According to TJFry's post earlier in this thread we are to stay on the Western portion of the toll way for both the Southbound and the Northbound direction. I had to use the Northbound traffic lanes to get it to work so it is a little off. The lane parallel for most of the way but there are a couple of areas where they split. I feel that this is a fairly accurate representation of the course as it is currently proposed. My map comes out to 110+ miles:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1300855828

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I was bored today so I decided to map the course on 'Map My Ride'. It is not completely accurate as I am unsure of the exact turn around locations and also because the program will not permit me to ride/drive the wrong way on the highway. The nerve of the program not allowing that! According to TJFry's post earlier in this thread we are to stay on the Western portion of the toll way for both the Southbound and the Northbound direction. I had to use the Northbound traffic lanes to get it to work so it is a little off. The lane parallel for most of the way but there are a couple of areas where they split. I feel that this is a fairly accurate representation of the course as it is currently proposed. My map comes out to 110+ miles:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1300855828

You can turn off follow roads and then point to point map wherever you want. Can get tedious if a long distance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That is what I did for some it, look closely at the u turns. I have us going over the retaining wall, cyclocross style. One day I might head out there with a Garmin and my GoPro and see what I come up with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else getting lots of 'Invitations' to register for Ironman Texas? I seem to get one about every week lately, makes me wonder if registration is really low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome - any chance you could make it "Public" ? Thanks a lot !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it !! Thanks again mate!
Quote Reply

Prev Next