Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi
Quote | Reply
I am slowly making my way through the posts on previous years of the race but still have a couple of questions.

1) Bike - It looks like gear can stay with the bike so did you all switch to your bike shoes for the ride or just switch your peddles to flats and stay in your run shoes the entire time. And if bike shoes, did you bring a small bag for your run shoes or just tie around your neck or something?

2) Nutrition - How did you handle nutrition during the day? It looks like there is aid at every swim exit and between 1-3 on each runs. I am guessing this is sufficient but thought I would ask.

3) Any other words of wisdom for a first timer?

I am still working on my shoe strategy for the swim/run. I bought a Saferswimmer but thought of carrying it while I run is not appealing so I am leaning towards the shoes down the shorts/under the jersey. I am still working on the socks vs no socks. I would love to go sockless but my feet aren't compiling. Right now my shoe choice is a racing flat (Saucony A6).

For those that are unfamiliar with the race: http://epicraces.com/.../battle-of-waterloo/
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Bike - My bike shoes stay with the bike at all times. Clipped in at T1 and left clipped in at T2, they were still hanging on the bike for the last run/bike transition T8 and T9.

2. Personally I go through a lot of GU and only use the water/gatorade on the course. I ate 2 or 3 gels on the first bike to get ahead, I think the bike was about an hour. I ate a gel after the first swim while starting the second run, third run and fourth run. The last bike was about 5 miles, I think I finished off my gatorade on the bike and then the last run is 1.2ish miles.

3. Use one pair of shoes for the first and last run.
Use a separate pair of shoes for runs 2, 3 and 4, put in dry bag of choice. Put that pair of shoes in the bag on your bike before the race starts. I strapped mine to my aerobars, make that simple cuz you have to strap it again when you come back.
Don't blast the first and second run.
Ride the bike at HIM effort.
Drink at every opportunity.
Use running shoes with drainholes.
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 12, 16 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great advice. I was thinking my nutrition plan would be similar to what you have planned so good to know I wasn't missing anything. The two pairs of shoes also sounds like a good idea as it will make the transition from Stage 1 to 2 a bit easier. As for the rest of your advice, it is added to the race plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the race 4 or 5 times. I break it down like this:

1. Run/Bike - move fast but don't over-do it.

2. Swim/Run Swim/Run Swim/Run - That is the heart of the race, do well there and the rest will just happen.

3. Bike/Run - Just the finishing part, short bike and short run. You most likely will not be contested there.

You need to prepare for the transitions with practice, it will save you minutes.

Personally I wear socks for the whole race and never take them off.

The first swim your shoes will already be in the bag so just run down to the beach (it's a little jog) put your cap and goggles on while running and dive in.
I put my shoes on while still in ankle deep water so I can get the debris off of my socks, since my shoes have drain holes I don't worry about the water.
The second swim I leave my shoes on cuz it's so short, it's really a toss-up
The third swim is the longest and needs to be taken seriously, do everything you can to minimize drag.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again! I will be using your overview to help draft my race plan. While I hope to do well at the race, I likely won't be contested at any stage for any sort of award so at least I don't have to worry about that. I have done several swim/run/swim/run workouts at part of my last training cycle so I have been practicing transitions. And I used yesterdays open water swim to double check everything - swimming in socks, swimming in shoes, swimming with shoes in my kit, etc. All worked well and my A6s handled the sopping wet runs perfectly with my squish and quick to dry. I think I may just have a decent game plan for my first attempt at this craziness.

However, I did think of another question for you - course markings. Are the run courses well marked? And are there even buoys for the swims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on entering. This is such a beautiful race ... and if my kids were a bit older, I would make the 12h trek from Long Island again.

1) Use bike shoes and leave them by/on the bike at all times.

2) There are so many aid stations that if you actually used all of them, you would be morbidly obese by the time you cross the finish line :-) Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it for one second. The first time I did it, I forgot everything nutrition related on race day ... no water bottle either ... and I was just fine.

3) Enjoy this awesome race. Beyond that ... try to use as little gear as possible ... preferably no socks or bags or safeswimmers or whatever. I don't even bring goggles (but that wouldn't work for most people). Racing flats work well because there is less material that can soak up water. No drain holes needed. In fact, you don't want them because if you have a little branch or a sharp rock poking through one of the holes ... ouch. Been there done that. Ever since, I put silicone caulk into the drain holes to make them disappear (same for similar races like SOS). As for course markings ... I think they do a good job. Easy orienteering in the water. But I have gotten lost on the bike and run ... but that was primarily because I was leading the race (nice backdoor brag, eh?).

Again ... have fun. I am jealous.
Last edited by: baliman: Jul 15, 16 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your wins. I just hope to finish mid-pack! And thanks again for your advice. I am starting to get really excited....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So ... how was it? Fun? Did everything work out OK?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for past racers in the Battle of Waterloo in Grass Lake, Mi [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was terrific. There should be way more races with this format. It really suites my racing style. No way to get bored of one sport and the races are long enough that I can outlast the true sprinters. Plus being a decent swimmer helps.

We had an interesting day with the weather. It rained all day and we were stopped on course for lightening. I was stopped just before the last swim. We were slated about 20-40 minutes depending on when you arrived as they were stopping only at aid stations/transitions. But the rain gave us overcast and much cooler than the predicted temperatures.

Gear and strategy was almost perfect. I followed most of the advice above (2 pairs of run shoes, swimming swim 2 in shoes, pacing, etc). The only change I may make is putting shoes on for the run from the bike area to the first swim. I am a wuss barefoot and know I lost time slowly moving down that gravel road.

Thanks so much to both of you for your input! You helped make it a great day. Now I can't wait for 2018. And maybe. 2017 trip to SOS if I can secure some crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Glad to hear that you liked it and that it all worked out ... even in rain and thunder. These kind of races are so much more fun than the standard distance tris but receive so little attention. And I hear that if you guys bombard the race director enough with friendly requests ... she MIGHT consider putting it on again next year ... as opposed to 2yr from now.
Quote Reply