Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMOO Swim
Quote | Reply
Planning on heading up to Madison for a few days of mostly riding the course but also wouldn't mind getting in an OWS or 2 also. Just wanted to ask the ST'rs out here if it is safe to swim the shoreline of Lake Monoma with a small group or not advised because of boaters?? Any advice on swimming there early mornings or an alternative in the area would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
Planning on heading up to Madison for a few days of mostly riding the course but also wouldn't mind getting in an OWS or 2 also. Just wanted to ask the ST'rs out here if it is safe to swim the shoreline of Lake Monoma with a small group or not advised because of boaters?? Any advice on swimming there early mornings or an alternative in the area would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

I'd be concerned with snakes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
Thanks, Steve

I've done it with a group about 4 times with no issues. There's often others out there too. Boaters are usually out further. We were about 100 yards offshore and swam down to the drainage grates by the bridge, leaving from from the ski jump. Visibility is almost 0 so sight often to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add to what the others have posted above, there is a no wake zone the first 200m or so from the wall (marked with buoys) which give you plenty of space to swim without having to worry about getting hit by a fast moving boat. There will still be some boaters fishing in that zone so you will still need to swim with caution. I have found that most of the fisherman find a new location when they see swimmers but you may have a different experience.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
steve1128 wrote:
Thanks, Steve

Screw that.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
steve1128 wrote:
Thanks, Steve

Snakes will get you before the boats do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please do us a favor and try different thickness wetsuits - report back if 5 vs 3mm makes a difference with snake bites.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure the arm and leg cuffs on the wetsuit are tight, don't want those snakes swimming up the legs, especially when waiting in the water for swim to begin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep and he should definitely wear a full sleeve, not a sleeveless...
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mclousing wrote:
Just make sure the arm and leg cuffs on the wetsuit are tight, don't want those snakes swimming up the legs, especially when waiting in the water for swim to begin.

Agreed! That is a lesson you learn pretty quickly (the hard way).

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, since I contributed to the snake agenda :) of the IMOO swim, I feel I should somewhat help in setting the record straight. When I did IMOO in 2014 the snakes story actually had me worried until I looked up the facts, and that it is more of a novelty story than any real substance.

So if you are reading this thread and freaking out about the snakes in the water, you can set your mind at ease. if there are snakes in the water there are soo few and not going to be any concern to anyone swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming the course is no issue, particularly if you have a group, but I see people swimming it solo frequently. I would park at Law Park (free on Sundays, metered other days) or the Menona Terrace parking garage, both right off of John Nolan Drive. Get your swim in and then you can head right out on the bike course.

WRT the bike course, Hwy P is closed right now (and for the foreseeable future until the race) south of Bourbon Road. Rather then taking a right on P from Bourbon Rd and heading to Stagecoach, plan to take a left on P then a quick right on HWY 14. You can take 14 about a mile and a half then a right on Stagecoach to continue straight onto N. Birch to get back on the course. HWY 14 is pretty busy and a 55mph. Not a road I like to spend a lot of time on but for a short stretch I feel decently safe and I think this is the best detour if you still wanna get the Old Sauk Pass climb in.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
Swimming the course is no issue, particularly if you have a group, but I see people swimming it solo frequently.

You have better odds of avoiding a snake attack if you swim with a large group. Strength in numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breaking news from lake monona

https://twitter.com/rappstar/status/758715651309527041

Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Breaking news from lake monona

https://twitter.com/rappstar/status/758715651309527041

Oh please.....like Lake Minona is even close to being that clear.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're actually getting smaller than they used to be? Great news.
Quote Reply
Re: IMOO Swim [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread makes me smile.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply