Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read this thread and your decision-making process with interest, and empathy!

It's missing the final chapter - what did you go with in the end?
Quote Reply
Re: all-around wheel upgrade advice [muzza14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
muzza14 wrote:
Just read this thread and your decision-making process with interest, and empathy!

It's missing the final chapter - what did you go with in the end?

I went through quite a decision making process. In the end, I decided on Flo 30 wheels and Powertap P1 pedals.

I'm really happy with the wheels. They're dramatically more aero than my older OEM wheels, I really like the additional width, they're stiff and reasonably light. The price was right. I was a little bummed, though not surprised, the first time I got lightly rained on and the brake tracks went mostly silver. Flo customer service was outstanding. Deeper carbon wheels would have looked cool, though I would have felt a little douchey riding expensive wheels, too. The aero differences would have been marginal. The braking not as good. The price multiples higher. Compliance maybe marginally better or marginally worse (I got conflicting opinions on that). For me, for now, they didn't make sense.

The P1 pedals work well as a powermeter, though if I had to guess they may skew a tad high--but I'll take that over the alternative. :) And my only reference is a smart trainer, this is my first actual power meter. As pedals, I'm mildly annoyed by them, because a ridge on the cleat prevents smoothly sliding them forward into the cleats, so I generally have to look down to position them just right, and clipping in in dicey situations like starting up a hill is a bit sketchy. So I've mulled selling them lightly used and instead getting a Powertap GS hub built into my rear Flo wheel and going back to my Look-style pedals. I may also play around with Look-style cleats on the P1 pedals, though my older, somewhat worn Look-style cleats are a bit fussy interacting with the P1 pedals. And having made my choices, I may also stick with the P1 pedals, I wouldn't save much (if anything) by switching to hubs at this point, and the portability if I do eventually get a tri bike, or upgrade the road bike, is a nice feature.
Last edited by: niccolo: May 2, 17 15:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next