Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Ohio_Roadie
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jul 7, 16 10:44
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John, Astellas is bust?
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you should talk to Flo and see if you can work out a deal. They have several different options that would suit you well and they might be interested in getting their wheels out there in that event.
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like you need to get a job and start a new career path - one far more rewarding.

And, anyone who can beat you while your ride box rims will beat you when you're riding deep rim carbon wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to offer, but I'll give you a bump to the top and a wish of good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought you retired from racing which was the reason for the sell off.

Anyway, I have 2012 Cosmic SLR Tubulars. Carbon flat spoke wheels. Light as well hell. Would require Exalith brake pads. It is Shimano 11 speed as all late model Mavic's are.

Ill sell them to you for $750 shipped and I will make sure to clean up the tubular surfaces so you can install fresh glue.

Shoot me a text if interested. 903-780-0477
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Sounds to me like you need to get a job and start a new career path - one far more rewarding.

And, anyone who can beat you while your ride box rims will beat you when you're riding deep rim carbon wheels.

Sounds to me like you're a d-bag!
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
NealH wrote:

Glad i wasn't the only one thinking it...
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [shaunylw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaunylw wrote:
trail wrote:
NealH wrote:

Glad i wasn't the only one thinking it...

+1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not the mountain you're climbing, it's yourself. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:

Where in his post did he say anything about not finding his pro riding rewarding?

I couldn't imagine how long I'd last as a teacher if this was the advice I was giving my students...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude that's one of the douchiest comments I've seen on here in a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:

Wow... very supportive.
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got nothing to offer but good luck in your search and good luck in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some velocity 50mm tubulars. 1090g. conti sprinter on the front, vittoria rally on the rear - low miles. 475 plus shipping. 11sp free hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sending a pm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM'd -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you need race wheels again?

What's wrong with the ones you train on?

Wheels aren't going to make a bit of difference at that race unless the ones you have are non-functional. There's just so much more that has a tangible impact on performance at a race like that.

With that said, what a shite deal with your team and the best of luck in your race.
Last edited by: rubik: Jul 10, 16 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<inflamatory rant upcoming - you've been warned>
Christ - what's with the opinions of "race wheels won't make a difference" crowd showing up?

Yeah - there's other stuff, but he didn't ask about that. He didn't ask to borrow wheels, he's talking about buying wheels.
The fact that he wants race wheels in no way implies that he DOESN'T have all the other stuff sorted out.

I don't know Jonathon personally - we've never talked - but I've been in races w/ him at nats and seen him launch off the nose when we were already going hilariously fast. He's legit and knows what he's doing. So, there's that.

Given my experiences, I'd say that race wheels matter at this, and every other big race, and I've yet to meet a high-level racer who thinks that "race wheels don't matter".
Conversely, I've yet to meet anyone with relevant experience racing among those spouting off about race wheels not making a difference.

So smart people - let's make a bet:
1) come race Cascade in the P/1 field - or hey, come race it in the Cat2 field, that's a huge margin easier.
You can stay at my house for free, I'll already be out there in the feedzones and wrenching for a few other people, so I'll throw in wrenching & feeding for you.
2) Finish the SR in the top 1/2s of the P/1 or Cat 2 field on some training wheels I'll loan you (28/32, 3x, alloy whatevers), and then we'll all know how smart you are. Heck, you could finish more than an hour down from the winner of the field, and I'll *Give* you a nice set of race wheels.....

That's a better payout than you'll get anywhere else~
any takers? Eh?

Or just maybe, you smart-asses have literally no idea what it's like to race a super-hard, pro stage race with mountains and rolling stages?

PM me if you want to take me up on that offer, I'll be here.

<edit for content/clarity>
Last edited by: hidayanra: Jul 10, 16 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [hidayanra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound angry about something?

I'm a cat 1 who races on a 105 equipped bike with aluminum training wheels. Just raced elite nationals on said setup. Pulled a top 15. Granted, that's not the Cascade Classic Stage Race, but it's probably higher level bike racing than most.

So yeah, I do have an idea as I've raced a good number of NRCs and I've raced in Europe on similar setups (2000 gram aluminum Bontrager Powertap wheels! Yikes!). And yeah, I'd most emphatically take you up on your offer and do the P/1 race if I had a team and lived on the west coast, and I'd race my bike as is. Because it really will have nothing to do with my performance. What would have an impact on my performance? My fitness, my racing skills, my tactics, my nutrition, and my talent (or lack thereof).

What this thread illustrates is an example of massive marketing campaigns and their success in convincing people they're at some disadvantage by not using a particular product. Clearly a 24 year old who's been pro for the last 3 years has an immense amount of talent and I'd bet good money that his success comes from hard work and dedication and solid racing skills and smarts and not from a 50mm carbon fiber wheelset.

I realize this is a very tech-oriented website, but the equipment "push", especially for road racing, is a bit of a farce. The OP has a lot of things on his mind, I imagine, and my advice would be to not spend any needless energy worrying about what you do or don't have on your bike. As long as it's functional, your legs will be doing all the driving.

P.S. notice the complete lack of vitriol, anger, and name-calling in my post.
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I hadn't met one before, I'll readily admit that my previous comments were incorrect.
Hats off to you - if you do race at that level on alloy wheels - congrats - that's unusual.

It is the first time I've come across someone at the C1 level who thinks that "Wheels aren't going to make a bit of difference at that race unless the ones you have are non-functional."
Now, I still don't agree with you, but I respect that you have relevant experience and have that opinion.

Obviously it can be done, Mullervy won Athens on alloy hoops a couple years ago- I never said it "couldn't be done", and I've been in races where I've been schooled by a racer on alloy wheels. But, my point was that race wheels DO make a difference - and I'll stand by that.

I've been to nats on alloy wheels, and while I wasn't DNF, the difference was real, and quantifiable.
When I raced at that level on plastic wheels the difference was tangible, stiffness/weight/aero is only a part of the equation, but per testing I've done myself, it sure does matter.

Am I grouchy about the topic? Sure, I'm tired of having internet heroes tell spout off about what does and doesn't matter at a level of racing they generally haven't ever seen.
Respect to you for having that opinion and backing it up with your experiences.

Anger/Vitrol/Name-calling? eh.... I used the term "smart-asses" once in that post - if that sets you off, okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Johnathan

I don't know you, but we all need help sometimes. I am new to triathlons. But I am blessed with a great job and I happen to have an extra set of brand new Dura Ace 75’ tubular race wheels W/ tires on them. I bought it from Kirk Koyes on this sit when I picked up my Dogma F8. It will be a while before I need them. Rather someone use them than they collect dusts. If this set would be helpful, please let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering why instead of asking for a set of wheels to buy you decided to bad-mouth a team that exists in a very delicate world?

Furthermore, that team that "doesn't exist" seems to be doing the opposite and actually as recent as last Sunday won ToAD and intelligentsia cup overall, with a full squad at the races?

Why are you telling people the team disbanded when clearly what is happening here is you're not going to raced / maybe lost your position there?
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [Cinfuga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious as well. The OP is still listed on the Astellas Cycling team website, currently he holding 9th place on at the Cascade Cycling Classic and listed as racing for the 'Gateway Harley-Davidson Trek U25' team.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [phourgenres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested in the wheels. Can you email me pics or pm?
Quote Reply
Re: My pro team has collapsed. Now I'm trying to find race wheels so I can chase a new contract at the Cascade Cycling Classic. [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Who: I am Johnathan Freter a 24 year old professional cyclist. This is my 3rd year racing at the UCI Continental level.
What: Looking for 40-50mm deep race wheels. Preferably: tubulars (ready to glue or ready with good tires for road racing), with 11 speed, SRAM/Shimano compatible freehub, and fast hubs.
When/where: Delivered to my girlfriend's place in Colorado by July 13th or to a fedex location for pickup in Bend, Oregon by the 18th. The first road stage of the Cascade Cycling Classic starts the morning of the 20th, so it would be nice to have them ready to go by the 19th.
Why: My 2016 UCI Pro team has collapsed and I am trying earn a new contract to continue my career as a professional cyclist.
Budget: Under $1000
THANK YOU!!

Hey ST friends and family.

I need your help! (Please and thanks!) The short version of the story is that the UCI Continental pro cycling team that I had a contract for this year is no longer functioning. Our title sponsor has withdrawn from the sport, the team has collapsed and my teammates and I are scrambling to find new ways to continue our careers. I have been fortunate enough to have found a guest ride with a U-25 developmental amateur team at the Cascade Cycling Classic (July 20-24) in an attempt to secure a new contract and continue my pro cycling. I am trying to find a set of wheels that will help me earn then new contract. The race has 5 stages; Stage 1 and 3 are 111 and 113 miles respectively, with summit finishes at 5400 ft on Mt McKenzie and 5500 ft on Mt Bachlor. Stage 2 is a fast out and back, 16 mile TT. Stage 4 is a 75 minute crit and stage 5 is a brutally punchy circuit, which we do 5 times for a total of 82 miles. The final stage is a favorite of mine with 3 extremely punchy climbs per lap, so wheels with a good balance between weight and aero would be helpful. Ideally something in the ballpark of 40-50 mm deep. The bike I will be using also has 11 speed Sram components on it, so a Sram/Shimano, 11 speed freehub is required. However I know that beggars can't be choosers, so I'll race whatever I can get my hands on and pedal up to the finish lines.

Since 2013 the Cascade Cycling Classic has played a big role in my cycling. I expect it to again play a major role this year. In 2013 earned my first pro contract when I finished 12th overall, 4th in the U-23s, and top amateur. In 2014, with Jelly Belly and we won the race overall by a hand full of seconds with Serghei Tvetcov. Last year, while I was training for the US Pro Challenge, when I broke my collar bone and missed the race. I love this race and have shown that the Bend, Oregon roads suit my abilities quite well. If all goes well, like I know it can, I will be able to continue my progression in the sport that I love with a new pro contract.

Thank you very much for your time and help. I hope to see you all on the road with the rubber side down!

Best,

Johnathan Freter
https://www.strava.com/pros/263443
https://www.facebook.com/jfreter17/

Did you ever end up finding these? I saw no updates, I might have something available.
Quote Reply