Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you repair a cut TIRE?
Quote | Reply
I had a nice ride this morning, and then 2 miles from home I cut my BRAND NEW Michelin Pro Race tire when I accidentally rode through broken glass. The resulting cut was about 12mm long, starting at the centerline and going out towards the shoulder of the tire (perpendicular to the rotation of the tire as opposed to in line with it).

Since this is a brand new and fairly expensive tire, I was thinking about taking it to someplace like Discount Tire and having them patch the tire on the inside like they do to car tires. Is that possible or advisable?

Is there any other way to salvage the tire?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Can you repair a cut TIRE? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no bike genius...Well, I guess I'm no genius at anything else either, but I know Park makes a patch for tires that I have successfully used on several tires. It's a clear piece of plastic with a sticky side that you just put over the cut. I used it on a couple of small cuts that were on new tires and they worked out fine.

I don't know if I would trust this 100%, but for me it worked out.

I'm sure someone will chime in and say it's always best to replace the tire, and I think there is value to Tom's analogy that your equipment is like a parachute, so take my advice at your own risk.

Jeff
Last edited by: Vita-man: Dec 13, 03 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Can you repair a cut TIRE? [Vita-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Park "boot" you are referring to is only intended to be a temporary "get you home" type of a fix. As far as I know, if the cut goes through the casing, the tire is history. If it only goes through the tread, you may be able to get some more use out of it. Try dismounting the tire and supergluing the edges of the cut together. May work for a little while. But again, if the casing is cut through, esp. a large cut like 12 mm, do not ride the tire again. Too dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Car tyres run at an average of 45psi. Race bike tyres run at an average of 110psi. See the difference? The "boot" made by Park is designed as an emergency fix to get you home, and really, for mountain bikes. This isn't to say that it won't get you home on your roadie or tri bike, but it really wasn't designed to withstand the high pressure application of a typical race tyre.

Getting a cut in your brand new tyre sucks, but you pretty much have to replace it. The only thing I might consider using it for is as a rear on the trainer - nice and close to home. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you repair a cut TIRE? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai is right. At best, you have a tire suited for the trainer. I know that stinks, but I'd never ride the thing, and wouldn't ride near anyone that I knew that had a patch on such a tire. If I were on a group ride, and a rider had to patch it to get home...that rider would be delegated the permanent caboose for the remainder of the ride. It's not worth the danger to yourself, nor others, to ride on a tire that's been temporarily repaired this way.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the cut does not go through to the casing you may be able to save it with superglue, something I do on a regular basis, especially with some of the Mich. tires. If its through the casing the guys are right about it becoming a trainer tire.
Quote Reply