Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Perfect running mp3 player does it exist?
Quote | Reply
My iPod nano 6th gen died...

Is there something in that form factor or smaller that:

A2DP (Bluetooth) support.
Waterproof.
2gb or greater.
Some sort of a display would be nice but I could live with shuffle only.
A clip would be nice but not mandatory for me.

Anyone know of such a beast?

Nothing seems to tick off all of my boxes that I have been able to find.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:

Waterproof.
2gb or greater.

I look at it as a system. My mp3 player rec can get you a lot of the way and that is the Sansa Clip+.

It is not waterproof, but I did just do a 5.5 month stint in FL without losing one to humidity/rain. As others will prob chime in after, I much prefer the Sansa Clip+ running Rockbox aftermarket firmware. The player is super small, has great battery life, a screen, and a microsd card. All my music is on a SD card, when the player is either dead because I forgot to charge it, or the player actually did die, I just pop out the microSD (32gb), and plug it into the new one.

Now the bad part, it isn't A2DP which may be a deal killer but I can tell you that bluetooth does not provide a superior experience IMO. I just foam rolled on the capital square today in Madison, WI. I brought an old school Sony Sport AS35w even though I have a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones as well. The reason is the AS35w is more versatile, extremely light, great sound, and stays put inherently because of the over the head design, and best of all, does not need to ever be charged.

Now for the really bad news. Both the player and headphones are amazing. Those who have used them are hooked, but thanks to the "fashion forward", over the head design is dead. As for the player, San Disk kept making the player worse with each new generation.

Although I am a true minimalist, AS35w and Sansa Clip are the only 2 things I hoard.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with TG. Ive been a fan of the Sansa Clip since v1. The newer ones are not expensive, even new, but the older ones are commanding a premium on eBay. Pretty durable, GREAT sound, long battery life (rechargeable). Tiny, easy to put in your zippered shorts/jersey pocket. I bought a lot of 8 on eBay a couple of years ago for something like $30. An 8 Gb 3rd gen has lasted since then, even if it was (presumably) returned because of a stuck column of green pixels down the screen. What do I care - plenty of screen to upload and, on shuffle and in my pocket, I don't use the screen while running. I have six more to go once the sweat and fumble fingers doom this one! One of my eight was comprehensively dead. The others are 'only' 4 Gb, but with a microSD slot, who cares about that? Now if you *must* have wireless, this won't work. Otherwise, totally rocks. Literally!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:

Waterproof.
2gb or greater.

I'm planning on buying one of these if/when it comes out. I don't usually back things on Kickstarter though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...c-without-your-phone

For me anything I have has to play Spotify as that's what I have used for the past few years. what has worked really well recently is a spibelt and my iPhone. I have a 6+ and it doesn't move at all after about 20 feet of settling. I wear it on my back against my but. If it's going to rain I could toss it in a plastic bag inside. I did get the bigger size spibelt because I have the bigger iPhone.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the cheapest (~$80), but the Sony NWZ-273 is perfect for me.

- no display, but it's behind your head, so nothing to look at anyway
- 4GB
- I don't swim with it, but I am a heavy sweater and run in the rain -- no problems over years (I lost one, that's the only reason I have a relatively new one).
- not bluetooth, but it's one piece, so there's no need. Technically, they have a Bluetooth version, but at the price point (~$160), I don't see why anyone would buy it. Cheaper to buy the non-bluetooth version + a decent set of Bluetooth headphones.

When you're in a busy area, you can also quickly pop out the earbuds for awareness, but it stays in place around your head.

I also like that it's non-Apple so I don't have to use or mess with their closed ecosystem -- just drag and drop with Windows Explorer.

The only minor annoyance is that it loses your 'place' if you charge it with the computer and there's no fast-forward just skip to next song/folder. I usually listen to podcasts/audiobooks, so I charge it with an outlet unless I'm refilling it.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
. I bought a lot of 8 on eBay a couple of years ago for something like $30

Funny, we must have bought from the same store. I could already tell back then this was going to be one of those devices that was just going to go up up up. Contemplated buying them out completely (joking they had many thousands) but settled for 8 as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.wareable.com/...-with-music-playback

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Gerlach. I use the Sansa clip. I bought the smallest storage size (2 or 4 gigs?) and then a 16 gig microSD card to pop in. I also bought the little rubber sleeve that is made for it. I clip it to my shorts and have run through heat, humidty, soaking rain, and never had a problem. I think I paid $50 in total, and I'm sure it's even cheaper now with the price drop in memory.
I tried the rockbox hack but found I didnt really need any of the extra features and just run it stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like this. My only worry would be that somehow Spotify screws them over, so I'll wait til it comes out... But a cool idea nonethless.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like carrying my phone when I run for emergencies and after sweating on and ruining 2 iPhones i purchased a small sweat proof phone waist pack that holds my 6s. I flip it around to my lower back and tighten it up so it doesn't bounce. Jaybird Bluetooth headphones. Works great for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
I like carrying my phone when I run for emergencies and after sweating on and ruining 2 iPhones i purchased a small sweat proof phone waist pack that holds my 6s. I flip it around to my lower back and tighten it up so it doesn't bounce. Jaybird Bluetooth headphones. Works great for me.

I have a Nexus 6P and it is wayyy too big to carry while running near the house.

I have a Fenix 2 and a Vivoactive, really don't want to get another smartwatch.

Seems like what I am looking for still doesn't exist in 2016, seems pretty crazy to me...

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
I agree with Gerlach. I use the Sansa clip. I bought the smallest storage size (2 or 4 gigs?) and then a 16 gig microSD card to pop in. I also bought the little rubber sleeve that is made for it. I clip it to my shorts and have run through heat, humidty, soaking rain, and never had a problem. I think I paid $50 in total, and I'm sure it's even cheaper now with the price drop in memory.
I tried the rockbox hack but found I didnt really need any of the extra features and just run it stock.

Great minds think alike. I too have a Sansa clip+, a backup Sansa clip+ and a mini SD card for it. It's one of my favorite all-time pieces of technology.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use a burner smartphone. Mine is an old LG tracfone that has a smaller form factor. 23 bucks new, came with an 8gig micro SD, and I can access the club's WIFI with it. I even watched the entire run of "Scrubs" on it last year while training. I switched to the smartphone after my 3rd iPod Shuffle died of excessive sweat intake. It won't win style points, but I'm not there to pickup on the ladies with my sweet tech gear...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try Bragis Dash
Quote Reply
Re: Perfect running mp3 player does it exist? [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
Not the cheapest (~$80), but the Sony NWZ-273 is perfect for me.

i was gonna check out one of the sony mp3 players, but then my sony phone broke and getting it repaired was a pain... then my sony headphones which were supposed to have a 1-year warranty broke, and it would have been a 1-hour commute to get them repaired/replaced. so no 3rd try for sony.

count me as another sansaclip vote. i finally did kill mine, but i put mine through a hard life, running and sweating and running in the rain. i forget if i put mine through the washing machine or not; i've put other mp3 players through it though. in any case, even if you're smarter than me and keep it out of the washing machine, they're an expense, not an investment. (same w/ headphones). but i liked the ease of the sansaclip, and, i liked the clip of the sansa clip. gonna order another one once i'm back home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Delphin player from Underwater Audio and it will be perfect for running and swimming. The Delphin is completely waterproof and allows you to use Sportify premium, Pandora one, or Audible to download music or audiobooks onto the device when you have WiFi. You can use the Delphin's Bluetooth capabilities to pair it with waterproof Bluetooth headphones or connect it directly to waterproof headphones. It is currently available on Indiegogo for pre-orders, which are going to be shipped in July. It can also be purchased in July when the product gets officially released. It's small and compact, unlike a phone, so it won't impede training workouts. Another great feature that it comes with is a clip to attach it to your goggles or shirt. I can't wait to listen to music in the pool and on runs!
Quote Reply