Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My body seems like it can only handle two days of training before getting sick again! ARGGH!
Quote | Reply
Well it is winter here in New Zealand. I keep getting sick, then well, then sick then well. This has been happening for around the last 6 weeks for me. I seem to do two to three days of training, then I am sick again.

I recently had two weeks off training completely and was feeling healthy on the weekend so did one session on indoor trainer. Then had Monday off. Then swam and rode inside on Tuesday. Ran 30 mins yesterday. And now I seem to be sick again!!!

Maybe I should just take a full 4 weeks off?...to top it off, I have pain in my groin when I have to move my leg sideways too much, which I am hoping is muscular and not a pelvic stress fracture (am seeing physio about this)...so maybe I should just have a really good break, get my body healed from both illness and injury (presuming the injury is not a stress fracture).

What are other's experiences like with continual illness through the winter months?

I have a fairly low immune system as it is since I'm diabetic, but yeah, just really frustrating. I should have not procrastinated on that flu shot.
Quote Reply
Re: My body seems like it can only handle two days of training before getting sick again! ARGGH! [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are you? Bodies don't respond at 40 or 50 or...the way they did at 20 and 30...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: My body seems like it can only handle two days of training before getting sick again! ARGGH! [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you had your thyroid checked? I know a few people who have had similar issues which turned out to be thyroid related.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: My body seems like it can only handle two days of training before getting sick again! ARGGH! [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
Have you had your thyroid checked? I know a few people who have had similar issues which turned out to be thyroid related.

X2.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: My body seems like it can only handle two days of training before getting sick again! ARGGH! [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
How old are you? Bodies don't respond at 40 or 50 or...the way they did at 20 and 30...

38. I had a similar problem at the beginning of 2014 in our summer, but it was probably a combination of illness and allergies.

If I am still sick next week I might go see my doctor...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer :-( I don't have any advice; just wanted to say hi.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use your training to heal rather than tax your body. Breathing FRESH air doing a moderate workout should make you feel great. Your lungs are the key to cleaning your system.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me in your situation, I would go have a blood panel done to see if everything is as it should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sleep 55-60 hours per week and eating from the outside aisles of the grocery store? Do you wash your hands before meals? Do you avoid touching your own face with your hands at work or in transit? Start with those and see if it gets better.
Quote Reply
Re: My body seems like it can only handle two days of training before getting sick again! ARGGH! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to the suggestions above. Adequate sleeping time for recovery and going to bed at close to the same time each day help one recover. Try not to touch your face, your eyes, and your nose (the stuff that get on the mucus membrane of the eye will flow down toward the nose. If you do, wash your hands for 45 sec+ before. Don't grab metal surfaces in public without first cleaning the surface.

Don't bike in the rain as road spray has an easier time getting into the respiratory system. If you have to train in the rain, make sure you warm back up to regular temperature asap. Rinse your nose with saline solution after workout. One way that germs have an easier time of infecting is if your nose is inflamed due to reaction to allergies (mainly sneezing). Take allergy meds and use nasal sprays.

Finally, make sure you have having sufficient intake of vegetables and vitamin D. Don't go to populated places immediately after a hard workout
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not already taking one, a high quality multi-vitamin is cheap insurance to help shore up your immune functions that may be run down by the combination of training, stress, and inadequate sleep.

At the very least, it can't hurt...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't normally push 'supplements' on people but NAC has been shown to prevent damage to the immune system due to exercise. Believe it or not, endurance sports tend to reduce your immune system's ability to fight infections.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1018-n-acetyl%20cysteine.aspx?activeingredientid=1018

Quote Reply