Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which HRM to replace my Garmin 305?
Quote | Reply
My 305 just quit and I am looking to replace it. They sell remanufactured units at Garmin for $195. Before I shell out that much I am wondering if I could get more bang for the buck with a different watch. I use it for running and cycling and have the sensors for cadence, speed and HR. So I would not need them if I stayed with a Garmin product. I kind of like the simplicity of the 305. I don't use a cell phone, so nothing which would require one. Thoughts???
Quote Reply
Re: Which HRM to replace my Garmin 305? [hazben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat, except my 310XT died right before a sprint last weekend.

Amazon offers the 310XT at around $130 and the 910XT @ $140 (refurbished) and $180 new.

I don't see anything that makes the jump to $400 for a 920 or $450 for a 735 worth it.

I'm leaning towards the 910XT.

Cheers, Alan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hazben wrote:
My 305 just quit and I am looking to replace it. They sell remanufactured units at Garmin for $195. Before I shell out that much I am wondering if I could get more bang for the buck with a different watch. I use it for running and cycling and have the sensors for cadence, speed and HR. So I would not need them if I stayed with a Garmin product. I kind of like the simplicity of the 305. I don't use a cell phone, so nothing which would require one. Thoughts???

The Garmin 910xt for $171 is pretty good route to go. In fact, still use one till this day. It does everything you need.

otherwise, if you want something small I would recommend the Garmin 225. The Garmin 225 just came out last year but was quickly replaced by the Garmin 235. The main difference was the optical heart rate was garmin's own in the 235. You can get the 235 for some smokin cheapp price via lightly used for less than $150. Having used the 225 for 6 months, I can say that it is a very good product.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 910xt is probably the best value by a huge margin, especially if you get a refurb. I went from a 305 to a 910xt about 3 years ago, and I was in GPS nirvana.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jun 29, 16 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Which HRM to replace my Garmin 305? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. After looking at the 910 it does seem to be a pretty good value for what I need. The questions I have about the 910. Does it have HR alert?, does it have backlit display, and how waterproof is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 910XT has HR alerts (I do not use them), it has a back light, and it is awesomely waterproof. I have been swimming with mine for years. It is designed for swimming-- it does stroke and lap counting and open water GPS. I have not done done any kind of diving, but I think that is a different animal.
Quote Reply
Re: Which HRM to replace my Garmin 305? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The light on the 910 is better than any current generation lights on Garmin watches. I use the 920 but also have the 910.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Garmin Vivoactive. Hubby replaced his 305 with Vivoactive and loves it, still using old HRM, speed and cadence sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Which HRM to replace my Garmin 305? [patricia7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remember on the vivoactive (which is a great watch) does not have a tri mode and the battery may not last a full IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Which HRM to replace my Garmin 305? [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP uses it for running and cycling. Battery life is about the same as 305, slightly better according to my hubby. But he now wears it as a watch as well, because it also tracks sleep and steps.
mclousing wrote:
Just remember on the vivoactive (which is a great watch) does not have a tri mode and the battery may not last a full IM.
Last edited by: patricia7: Jun 30, 16 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Vivoactive does look pretty neat. I see on the video it shows the weather. Would I have to subscribe to something to get this. How about getting emails?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to save money get a 910XT from Amazon. VERY similar to your watch in usage and features, just smaller form factor.

I'd avoid buying another 305. They are old. Those things were huge, and the price looks to be higher than a brand new 910XT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vivoactive can connect to your smartphone through bluetooth to get weather and emails.

hazben wrote:
The Vivoactive does look pretty neat. I see on the video it shows the weather. Would I have to subscribe to something to get this. How about getting emails?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply folks. After looking at the two I decided I would go with the 910 from amazon. I think the vivoactive is a better looking watch. But the 910 having a longer battery life at times would help me when I am out camping.

Thanks again for making the decision process much easier.
Quote Reply